[net.sport.baseball] New York Under Seige

schneider@vlnvax.DEC (09/24/85)

>>> I understand that after the initial incident, an annoucement
>>> was read, regarding the assistance that the govt. of Canada
>>> supplied the U.S. during the hostage crisis in Iran, sheltering
>>> Americans an bringing home safely, before the Anthem was played
>>> the next game.  The N.Y. fans showed their lack of class, booing
>>> again.

>> The Boston Globe described the same incident as a classy act of
>> management reminding the fans of what Canada has done.  Yes, the Yankee
>> fans booed, but they were booing the opposition in a pennant race, which
>> I find entirely understandable.  I guess the excitement of your first
>> race got to your head and colored your judgement.  Season yourself
>> some and keep from showing your own lack of class next time, before
>> labeling others.

>	If they want to boo the Jays, go ahead.  Booing another country's
> National Anthem is inexcusable.

The fan's WERE booing the Jays as is entirely within their rights.  At the
time, the Canadian anthem served to represent the Jays.  This seems quite
clear.

> .....The fact that the Yankees and Mets are
> both doing well doesn't make it OK, either.  It doesn't seem unreasonable
> to suggest that New York has more fans with a lack of class than most other
> baseball cities.

I am not a resident of New York but I am a Yankee fan and I take a great deal
of exception to the notion that the New York fans have a lack of class.
Such a bigotted interpretation of an obviously misunderstood act seems
QUITE unreasonable to me.

>	Would it also be entirely understandable to boo the National Anthem
> of another country winning a medal over the U.S.A. in the Olympics?

No, but it is irrelevant to compare the two events.

> I think the excitement of baseball has colored your judgement, Dan.
>						Dave Van Handel
>						drutx!djvh

Perhaps, but I think more then a few netters hopped on the anti-New York
bandwagon instead.  Perhaps they are just jealous of the most cultured
fans in America.

		Daniel Schneider
		{decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vlnvax!schneider

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (09/25/85)

>Perhaps, but I think more then a few netters hopped on the anti-New York
>bandwagon instead.  Perhaps they are just jealous of the most cultured
>fans in America.
>
>		Daniel Schneider
>		{decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vlnvax!schneider

Sour milk is also "cultured"...

Roy

jmh@ltuxa.UUCP (Jon M. Hanrath) (09/25/85)

In article <552@decwrl.UUCP> schneider@vlnvax.DEC writes:
>The fan's WERE booing the Jays as is entirely within their rights.  At the
>time, the Canadian anthem served to represent the Jays.  This seems quite
>clear.

Sorry, Dan , I was taught not to boo EVER as it is unsportsmanlike, and
to boo a nation's anthem is just worse than normal.

>I am not a resident of New York but I am a Yankee fan and I take a great deal
>of exception to the notion that the New York fans have a lack of class.
>Such a bigotted interpretation of an obviously misunderstood act seems
>QUITE unreasonable to me.

Maybe it does, but I don't think by condoning the incident you've helped
the perception of a N.Y. fan.  In fact you probably have strengthened the
feeling you're trying to argue against.

>Perhaps, but I think more then a few netters hopped on the anti-New York
>bandwagon instead.  Perhaps they are just jealous of the most cultured
>fans in America.
>
>		Daniel Schneider
>		{decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vlnvax!schneider

Funny, you talk of "bigotted interpretations" and then turn right around and
make a bigotted remark.  If you are certain that *some* N.Y. fans can do
no wrong, then I would say you're the most prejudiced of all.

I sure wish I were "cultured". -:)

Jon Hanrath
"in uncultured baseball land"
ihnp4!ltuxa!jmh

johansen@agrigene.UUCP (09/26/85)

> Perhaps, but I think more then a few netters hopped on the anti-New York
> bandwagon instead.  Perhaps they are just jealous of the most cultured
> fans in America.
>
> 		Daniel Schneider
> 		{decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vlnvax!schneider

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR CULTURE ***

I will never forget the final game of the world series (I think it was
1977) when the Yankees won the game in New York. What I will never
forget is the sight of Reggie Jackson running off the field in obvious
fear of his life. I guess the New York culture was just too much for
him.

ps As a microbiologist I can make a culture of Escherichia coli any
   time I like.

pss For those who don't know, E. coli is a common inhabitant of the
    human colon.

psss One mans culture is another mans cess pool.

cjsgro@watrose.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) (09/27/85)

In article <552@decwrl.UUCP> schneider@vlnvax.DEC writes:
>The fan's WERE booing the Jays as is entirely within their rights.  At the
>time, the Canadian anthem served to represent the Jays.  This seems quite
>clear.

As clear as booing Jeff Reardon's wife, as the Montreal fans did last year
in an incident last year (mentioned earlier in another posting).  Neither
act is acceptable.  I'll be at the first game of the Yankee series on
Friday and I *definitely* will reserve my booing for the players on the
field.
--
---
Carlo Sgro

Formerly: ...!watmath!watcgl!electro!carlo
and Also: ...!ihnp4!chinet!dagwood

"ihnp4 Express:  Overnight to the USA or you don't pay!"