[net.sport.baseball] new yuch vs. TORONTO

bherman@zaphod.UUCP (Bob Herman) (09/14/85)

CLASS - HIGH QUALITY, ELEGANCE
CIVILITY - COURTESY, POLITENESS

******* SEPTEMBER 12, 1985 *******
new yorkers SHOW APPALLING LACK OF CLASS AND CIVILITY!!!!!!

THE new york fans BOOING THE CANADIAN NATIONAL ANTHEM WHILE THROWING BOTTLES
UNDERMINED THEIR ALREADY FRAIL MENTALITIES.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE OUR TEAM BUT HOW ABOUT A LITTLE RESPECT FOR OUR
SOVEREIGNTY!

			   ONE OF 22,000,000 OTHER PROUD CANADIANS
--

"Go ahead --  Bite the big apple  --  Don't mind the MAGGOTS!!!"

			-- Mick Jaggar --
			   "Shattered"

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (09/16/85)

> CLASS - HIGH QUALITY, ELEGANCE
> CIVILITY - COURTESY, POLITENESS
> ******* SEPTEMBER 12, 1985 *******
> new yorkers SHOW APPALLING LACK OF CLASS AND CIVILITY!!!!!!
> THE new york fans BOOING THE CANADIAN NATIONAL ANTHEM WHILE THROWING BOTTLES
> UNDERMINED THEIR ALREADY FRAIL MENTALITIES.
> YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE OUR TEAM BUT HOW ABOUT A LITTLE RESPECT FOR OUR
> SOVEREIGNTY!
> 			   ONE OF 22,000,000 OTHER PROUD CANADIANS

Actually, the all-time low for fan "class and civility" certainly
belongs to Canadian fans (specifically, Expo fans).  A few years ago,
before he was called the "Terminator", Jeff Reardon was having a
MISERABLE season.  Expo fans booed Reardon unmercifully every time he
appeared in a game; the chorus would begin the moment his name was
announced.  This, of course, is acceptable; however, one day the Expo
wives were playing a charity softball game prior to the main feature.
When the lineups were announced, the fans began to boo Reardon's wife.
So loud and persistent were they, Mrs. Reardon left the field in tears
before the fans would let up.

I'm sure AL fans have similar anecdotes regarding the behavior of
Toronto fans.  No nationality can claim innocence.  At least here
(North America), the abuse is verbal...

					David Rubin

cjsgro@watrose.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) (09/16/85)

as an addendum to the previous article:
1) after being *reminded* of what we did for your boys in iran, there were
   still some idiots that booed the anthem on friday.
2) on saturday, the person who sang the anthem had to return to the dugout
   after the first lines *because she realized she didn't know the words*!
   after getting the words, she proceeded to make up her own tune!  this made
   front page news in the toronto sunday newspapers.
3) most importantly, we won three of four from the mighty yankees in their own
   park!  today's game was a decisive 8-5 victory (that was 8-0 going into the
   eighth inning).  the new york blankees are now 4.5 back of the jays.
4) all of this was accomplished without damaso garcia and willie upshaw, who
   were both injured for most of the series.
5) i won't say anything about terminator south, tom henke.  (unless you ask)
6) toronto's schedule looks like this:
   home: milwaukee * 4, boston * 3, yanks * 3
   road: boston * 2, milwaukee * 3, detroit * 3
   + one home strike date against baltimore if necessary
   i think that the yankees have detroit and baltimore (+ the jays) slated
  year but i'm not sure who else they play.

in summary, i think that those yankee fans who were saying that the jays were
going to wilt under the pressure had better look at their own house first.  i'm
not saying that the jays have it locked up, but it sure is nice to be on top
looking down at those yanks!

<the preceding message was furnished on behalf of someone who did not find the
yankees all that objectionable until this series.  see what a bit of booing
(and pop bottle throwing) can do to a person!>

--
---
Carlo Sgro

Formerly: ...!watmath!watcgl!electro!carlo
and Also: ...!ihnp4!chinet!dagwood

"ihnp4 Express:  Overnight to the USA or you don't pay!"

tommyo@ihuxw.UUCP (Tom O`Connor) (09/17/85)

I understand that after the initial incident, an annoucement
was read, regarding the assistance that the govt. of Canada
supplied the U.S. during the hostage crisis in Iran, sheltering
Americans an bringing home safely, before the Anthem was played
the next game.  The N.Y. fans showed their lack of class, booing
again.

Well, I`m pleased as punch that the Jays took 3 of 4!
I guess Georgie went on a verbal rampage after the massacre,
saying among other things that he`d rather have Mr. October
than Winfield, Mr. May.  In a feeble attempt to save his club,
he`s picked up Joe Niekro from Houston.  I do believe that
that`s the 1st time the Niekro`s have been on the same team
in their major league carrers.  Too bad it`s not gonna do them
any good.  I expect the Jays to hang on - too bad they don`t
get enough press.

Hopefully, Phil will win his 300th when the Yankees are on the road
(George make enough publicity all by himself).  I`d also expect to
see the ol` Lite beer commercial sometime after the regular season.
"Billy. You`re fired!"  "Not again"

By the by, the Mets fans are also poor sports, so I`m rooting
for the Cards, my lifetime arch rivals, since the Cubbies are
waiting for next year again.

Tom O`Connor
BTl - Naperville

P.S. Reuschel for Comeback Player of the Year!

malcolm@utcsri.UUCP (Malcolm MacPhail) (09/18/85)

> CLASS - HIGH QUALITY, ELEGANCE
> YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE OUR TEAM BUT HOW ABOUT A LITTLE RESPECT FOR OUR
> SOVEREIGNTY!
> 			   ONE OF 22,000,000 OTHER PROUD CANADIANS

    I was under the impression that the New York fans were like this to
most other teams (at least any that can cause trouble).  Isn't that why
they call the stadium "The Bronx Zoo"?   Besides, how many of the Blue
Jay players are Canadian, or feel something special for Canada?  Booing
our national anthem is indeed a lousy thing to do, but I doubt that it
bothered the Jays it just bothered most Canadians who heard about it.
My wife's reply, on hearing about the booing and that singer messing
up, was "What do you expect from a bunch of people that would live in
a place like New York".
Of course some may commute, or may have been visiting...

--
				Malcolm MacPhail,
				Department of Computer Science,

UUCP:  {linus,ihnp4,allegra,floyd,utzoo,cornell,decwrl,uw-beaver}!utcsri!malcolm
CSNET: malcolm@Toronto
ARPA:  malcolm%Toronto@CSNet-Relay
--

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (M. A. Upmalis) (09/18/85)

In article <755@fisher.UUCP> david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) writes:
>Actually, the all-time low for fan "class and civility" certainly
>belongs to Canadian fans (specifically, Expo fans).  A few years ago,
>before he was called the "Terminator", Jeff Reardon was having a
>MISERABLE season.  Expo fans booed Reardon unmercifully every time he
>appeared in a game; the chorus would begin the moment his name was
>announced.  This, of course, is acceptable; however, one day the Expo
>wives were playing a charity softball game prior to the main feature.
>When the lineups were announced, the fans began to boo Reardon's wife.
>So loud and persistent were they, Mrs. Reardon left the field in tears
>before the fans would let up.
>
>I'm sure AL fans have similar anecdotes regarding the behavior of
>Toronto fans.  No nationality can claim innocence.  At least here
>(North America), the abuse is verbal...
>
>					David Rubin

I consider the Yankee fans unusual for the average Baseball fan, however
in Toronto the fans are very civil to the opposing team, quite often
good plays  or home runs by the visiting team will be recognized by the fans.
In Toronto we hungered for big league ball for so many years that at
first the main reason to go to the ball game was to see the visiting
team and not the Jay (that has changed recently).

Montreal is a passionate town for sport no matter what, in the fifties
when Clarence Campbell suspended Rocket Richard for fighting during the
Stanley Cup, there were riots in the streets. I can't excuse what
happened to Reardon's wife but I haven't heard the story before and
am not a Montreal native so I'll let it pass.

While the Bronx Zoo got a lot of bad press,
some of the 1000+ Blue Jay fans who travlled to
the game (who's that for supporting your team) found a good number of Yanks
fans who complimented them on the Jays, wished them a good time in New York
and even cheered for the Jays (better the Jays than the Yanks).

While the situation is over blown, I think that some of the reaction in the
net may border on "what do these Canucks now about baseball and why show them
any respect".  Answer--Canada has been in on the history of baseball since
Abner Doubleday, we may have come in the Majors late but from the first
man to wear a number on the Uniform (Canadian), the man who took over
from Lou Gehrig, the country where Daryl Strawberry hit his first
professional home run (triple AAA) as well as Babe Ruth Canada has a lot
to add to the game.
--
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

		ihnp4!watmath!watarts!mupmalis

This sentence has threee erors.

abgamble@water.UUCP (abgamble) (09/18/85)

> I consider the Yankee fans unusual for the average Baseball fan, however
> in Toronto the fans are very civil to the opposing team, quite often
> good plays  or home runs by the visiting team will be recognized by the fans.

The Yankees have 3 more games in Toronto this season. Maybe we should
wait a while before bestowing sainthood on the Jay fans. I have a hunch
that a few will boo the American anthem when N.Y. comes to town.

                           Bruce Gamble  -  abgamble@water.UUCP

gates@bdmrrr.UUCP (Al Gates) (09/18/85)

> > THE new york fans BOOING THE CANADIAN NATIONAL ANTHEM WHILE THROWING BOTTLES
etc...

What was really bad was in either the second or third game of the series at
Yankee stadium, the lady who was supposed to sing the Canadian National
Anthem 1) forgot the words --she asked for a cheat sheet over the PA instead
of singing the anthem "I need the words" she said.  Then 2) Could not remember
how the tune went.  It was embarrasing to both her and New York City and was
the most atrocious rendition of the Canadian national anthem I ever heard.
Only in New York....

--
  /\                                                    /\
 /  \/^\   /\              /\/\/\  /^\    /\          /^/\^\  /\

dimitrov@csd2.UUCP (Isaac Dimitrovsky) (09/19/85)

[]
> What was really bad was in either the second or third game of the series at
> Yankee stadium, the lady who was supposed to sing the Canadian National
> Anthem 1) forgot the words --she asked for a cheat sheet over the PA instead
> of singing the anthem "I need the words" she said.  Then 2) Could not remember
> how the tune went.

Oh well, I don't think anybody in Canada knows the words either.
Although most of them do know the tune, at least.

Isaac Dimitrovsky
allegra!cmcl2!csd2!dimitrov   (l in cmcl2 is letter l not number 1)
251 Mercer Street, New York NY 10012     (212) 674-8652

... Hernandez steps in to face ... Orl ... HERchiiiser ... and it's a liiine
driive, deeeeep to the gap in left center ...	- Bob Murphy, Voice of the Mets

tommyo@ihuxw.UUCP (Tom O`Connor) (09/20/85)

I gather there was some comment about my article about
the Yanks/Jays booing incident.  Somehow, I didn`t see
that response, just clips in other items.  All I have
to say is there`s a great difference between booing a
team and booing a neighbor country`s national anthem.

By the way, the Cub fans showed true class when Pete
tied Cobb`s record.  They called him out of the dugout
after he hit a homer (that`s right, called a VISITING
team player out) and gave him a great standing ovation
when he tied the record.  Now that`s class!!

Tom O`Connor

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (09/22/85)

In article <3900015@csd2.UUCP> dimitrov@csd2.UUCP (Isaac Dimitrovsky) writes:
>Oh well, I don't think anybody in Canada knows the words either.
>Although most of them do know the tune, at least.

My SO loves attending Toronto games with me at the Oakland Coliseum because
she gets to sing the Canadian anthem.  She was born in Calgary and left at
the age of 8, but never misses a word of the anthem.  I'll bet she's more
the rule than the exception.

--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (09/26/85)

>Actually, the all-time low for fan "class and civility" certainly
>belongs to Canadian fans (specifically, Expo fans).  A few years ago,
>before he was called the "Terminator", Jeff Reardon was having a
>MISERABLE season.  Expo fans booed Reardon unmercifully every time he
>appeared in a game; the chorus would begin the moment his name was
>announced.  This, of course, is acceptable; however, one day the Expo
>wives were playing a charity softball game prior to the main feature.
>When the lineups were announced, the fans began to boo Reardon's wife.
>So loud and persistent were they, Mrs. Reardon left the field in tears
>before the fans would let up.
>
>I'm sure AL fans have similar anecdotes regarding the behavior of
>Toronto fans.  No nationality can claim innocence.  At least here
>(North America), the abuse is verbal...
>
>					David Rubin

Let's not make this a Canada vs. U.S. issue Mr. Rubin. I am an American
that agrees with you that the two aforementioned events are apalling,
but I hold the people involved in the Expos and and Yankees responsible.
An organization markets a team in a manner which appeals to the fan
they want to bring into the ballpark. For example, in Chicago, the
White Sox were always presented as a rough and tumble team, attracting
a strong blue collar following, while the Cubs went after the kids,
little old ladies, and business groups with their clean-cut approach.
Now take the Yankees, a team marketed in recent years with hot-tempers,
delicate egos, and endless controversy(George,Billy,Reggie,etc...).
The fact is, they cater to the rowdy, pushy fan. Not to say that this
is wrong, it is quite successful in accomplishing exactly what the
organization wants - profit and notoriety. I don't know enough about
the Montreal organization to comment on their appeal.

The state department had no business apologizing to Canada for
the incident in New York. It was not a U.S. issue(in my opinion).
It was a private issue in which the Yankee organization, i.e. Mr.
Stienbrenner himself, was responsible for apologizing to the people
of Canada. Since Georgie did not take ant reconciliatory action,
I can only assume that he approved of the incident.

Roy

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (10/01/85)

> The state department had no business apologizing to Canada for
> the incident in New York. It was not a U.S. issue(in my opinion).
> It was a private issue in which the Yankee organization, i.e. Mr.
> Stienbrenner himself, was responsible for apologizing to the people
> of Canada. Since Georgie did not take ant reconciliatory action,
> I can only assume that he approved of the incident.
>
> Roy

In an anthropology course I took in college, I learned how children are
taught responsibility in Japan.  Imagine that a child breaks a window,
but doesn't approach the owner of the property and offer to repair it.
The way this is usually handled in the U.S. is for one of the parents to
take the child by the hand, lead him or her to the wronged party, and make the
child apologize and offer to fix the window.

In Japan, the mother would approach the wronged party and apologize for being
an unfit and unworthy parent who has raised an irresponsible child.  Of course,
the child knows about this humiliation of the mother.

Maybe it's not the state department's business to apologize for the Yankees
and their fans, but I hope it shames them into better behavior.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff