[net.sport.baseball] post-season play and 1981 strike

odt@rruxff.UUCP (O D Transue) (09/30/85)

In article <wateng.2820> brsmith@wateng.UUCP (Brian R. Smith) writes:
>The Phillies were in 1st place when the strike was called, and were later
>declared the first half season division winners.  Montreal won the
>second half season and went on to defeat the Phillies in a division
>playoff.

So far so good!

>However, the Cards did have the best combined first-half,
>second-half record in the division (and I think perhaps in the majors)
>in 1981, but were shafted because of the strike.
>
>-- Brian Smith

Oops!! Booboo here!!  I can't recall the Cards' record
in '81, but I do know that the Reds had the best combined
record in the majors that year and were completely screwed
because they weren't first in the first or second half of
the season.

That's the way the ball bounces!

--
Dan Transue   Bell Communications Research
RRC 4B-369  444 Hoes Lane  Piscataway, NJ 08854 (201) 699-5223

gates@bdmrrr.UUCP (Al Gates) (10/04/85)

> >However, the Cards did have the best combined first-half,
> >second-half record in the division (and I think perhaps in the majors)
> >in 1981, but were shafted because of the strike.
> >
> >-- Brian Smith
>
> Oops!! Booboo here!!  I can't recall the Cards' record
> in '81, but I do know that the Reds had the best combined
> record in the majors that year and were completely screwed
> because they weren't first in the first or second half of
> the season.

The Reds had the best combined record in the majors and likewise the
best combined record in the NL West.  The Cardinals had the best combined
record in the NL East, yet they did not make the playoffs.  The A's had
the best combined record in the AL West and the Brewers had the best
combined record in the AL East.  The World Series was between the Yankees
and the Dodgers.  What a farce.