[net.sport.baseball] AL MVP, and other stuff

jeff@utastro.UUCP (Jeff Brown the Scumbag) (09/21/85)

[..]

The MVP debate rages on, and I suspect that of the two leading
NL candidates on the net (Guerrero & McGee) the winner will be the
one on the team which makes it to the playoffs.  If both the Cards
and Dodgers make it, then odds go to Big Pedro simply because
L.A. is a bigger media town, which means a lot in this kind of
ballot.  (What?  Baseball?  What do the facts have to do with sort
kind of thing? :-)  In the AL the question is more difficult since the Blue
Jays lack a central personality (they do things as a unit).  If the Royals
make it to the playoffs I suppose Brett will win the MVP by default,
simply because the unwritten rule exists that the MVP has to
be on a playoff team (which hurts Mattingly's chances, and without
prejudice I think things look grim for the Yanks right now).

I would like to open quietly the issue of Comeback Players of
the Year (because it gives something for us fans of second-division
teams to be partisan about).  In the NL there is really no one competitive
with the Pirates' Rick Rhoden.  In the AL my bias leads me to choose
Seattle's Gorman Thomas.  If anyone cares enough I'd like to see
this one kicked around a little.

Also, who are the Rookies of the Year (is Coleman a rookie?
I can't remember... if so, he's a lock)?

And will Rose (groan) win Manager of the Year?  NBC seemed to
think so this afternoon....

Jeff Brown the Scumbag
		{allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!jeff
		jeff@astro.UTEXAS.EDU
Astronomy Department, U. of Texas, Austin

---
At the beginning of the year I had this twisted dream of a Mets
versus Seattle World Series, where late in the seventh game a crucial
situation came up where Thomas Gorman was pitching to Gorman Thomas......

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (09/23/85)

>	     Let's not forget Cesar Cedeno for those comeback honors.

Maybe you had better look at Cedeno's stats BEFORE the trade. One month
does not make a season, especially when compared to Rick Reuchel's.
Besides, was Cedeno hurt last year, or just a head case?

Roy

dday@gymble.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) (09/23/85)

In article <743@utastro.UUCP> jeff@utastro.UUCP (Jeff Brown the Scumbag) writes:
>I would like to open quietly the issue of Comeback Players of
>the Year (because it gives something for us fans of second-division
>teams to be partisan about).  In the NL there is really no one competitive
>with the Pirates' Rick Rhoden.

Don't you mean the Pirates' Rick Reuschel?  And anyway, whichever one you
meant, I think a strong case could be made for Atlanta's Bob Horner as
Comeback Player.  Many people thought he was washed up after all his
injuries.  Why the Cubs decided to let Reuschel go and keep Dick Ruthven
I'll never know.
                       Dennis Doubleday
                       U. of Maryland

michaelf@ISM780.UUCP (09/24/85)

	     Let's not forget Cesar Cedeno for those comeback honors.

roger1@ihlpg.UUCP (Mills) (09/26/85)

> [..]
>
> The MVP debate rages on, and I suspect that of the two leading
> NL candidates on the net (Guerrero & McGee) the winner will be the
> one on the team which makes it to the playoffs.

Just as a point of parlimentary procedure, but aren't the MVP's voted
on BEFORE post season play begins, as to oppose any coloring by a
player having a great LCS or WS?

Just a thought.

rlm
--
Roger L. Mills
ihlpg!roger1

meehan@ihlpg.UUCP (Meehan) (09/26/85)

> And will Rose (groan) win Manager of the Year?  NBC seemed to
> think so this afternoon....
>

> Jeff Brown the Scumbag
> 		{allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!jeff
> 		jeff@astro.UTEXAS.EDU
> Astronomy Department, U. of Texas, Austin

	I had just read in this mornings Chicago Tribune an article
	about Whitey Herzog. It stated that he was voted the
	Manager of Managers in a poll taken of the 26 managers.
	He gets my vote!

						Patrick Meehan
						ihlpg!meehan
						AT&T Bell Labs
						Naperville IL.

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (10/06/85)

>(yep, here comes the Cardinal fan once again...)
>
>Who cares what happened before the trade?  What matter is what he
>did for the Cards *AFTER* the trade.  Talking about come in and help
>the Cards out...  Geez.  They guy walks in and bats something like
>.500.  Talking about smoking.  I would definitely put him up there
>on the list with Willie McGee and (now) Ozzie Smith.  Yep, Ozzie
>Smith.  After all, he is undoubtably the best defensive shortstop
>in the league.  And, he didn't do too bad this year batting, either.
>After seeing him play the last 2 games against the Cubbies, I would
>have to toss him up there in the list, also.

Yes, but you were talking about the "comeback player of the YEAR" award,
not about the "comeback player of the MONTH", which has yet to be, and
will never be established.

Roy

dcm@busch.UUCP (Craig Miller) (10/06/85)

In article <4500057@hpmtla.UUCP> roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) writes:

>>	     Let's not forget Cesar Cedeno for those comeback honors.
>>

>Maybe you had better look at Cedeno's stats BEFORE the trade. One month
>does not make a season, especially when compared to Rick Reuchel's.
>Besides, was Cedeno hurt last year, or just a head case?
>
>Roy

(yep, here comes the Cardinal fan once again...)

Who cares what happened before the trade?  What matter is what he
did for the Cards *AFTER* the trade.  Talking about come in and help
the Cards out...  Geez.  They guy walks in and bats something like
.500.  Talking about smoking.  I would definitely put him up there
on the list with Willie McGee and (now) Ozzie Smith.  Yep, Ozzie
Smith.  After all, he is undoubtably the best defensive shortstop
in the league.  And, he didn't do too bad this year batting, either.
After seeing him play the last 2 games against the Cubbies, I would
have to toss him up there in the list, also.

Oh yeah..  WHOOOOOOOO!!!!  I-70 World Series is getting closer and
closer.  Way to go, Cards.  Way to go, Royals.  The state of Missouri
smokes once again....  Sorry, Mets (and all you Mets fans.  Sorry
Cosell, but it looks like the 'big city' team didn't do it this year.)
Looks like the 'pretenders' (har, har, har!!!) pulled it out!  Looks like
New York got totally left out in the cold this year.  Oh well...  Like they
say, "The heat is on...".  Or,  "I love New York (in second place)"!!!

Oh yeah, any flames/responses will probably take 2 weeks to answer.  I'm
heading out of town (anyone out there in Louisville?)  See ya in about 2
weeks (go Cards!)

p.s.	anyone else hear about Keith Hernandez' wife (ex wife?) suing him for
	something like 12.5 million for a 'personal injury' type of case.
	wow.
--
	Craig Miller
	{*}!ihnp4!we53!busch!dcm

- Since I'm a consultant here and not an Anheuser-Busch employee, my
  views (or lack of) are strictly my own.