[net.sport.baseball] FREEWAY SERIES!

michaelf@ISM780.UUCP (09/27/85)

	     Now that we can pretty much put talk about "Subway Series" and
     this chatter about "I-70 Series" aside, let's talk seriously.
     It looks like smart money is riding on a Freeway Series with
     the Angels and the Dodgers sitting out front.

             I'm not a believer in the Angels but I do like the
     Dodgers.  Remember, the LCS is 4 out of 7 this year which
     means the Dodgers will probably pitch Fernando and Orel
     Herschiser twice. Bob Welch and Jerry Reuss will go at least
     once. That's just too much for any team.  Even though the
     Dodger bullpen has been getting rocked lately, Niedenfuer
     and Ken Howell are still impressive flame-throwers.

	     Guerrero has been coming back slowly off a sprained wrist
     and Marshall has taken over as he does for Pedro every now and then.

	     Just take the 5 Freeway north from the Anaheim until you
     see the Harbor Freeway and then...

jimb@ISM780B.UUCP (09/28/85)

To quote Charles Dickens, "Bah!  Humbug!"

Both West teams will get blown out by the respective East teams.

That the Dodgers are in first place is a tribute to the Padres having the
guts to get rid of Alan Wiggins, Ted Turner's systematic destruction of the
Braves (previously documented on this net) and playing in a weak division.
If the Dodgers played in the N.L. East they would be fighting for third
place.

Of course, Mike, it's hard to be hard on L.A. partisans, most of whom think
Phoenix is "back East."  (That's okay, I was born in California.)

      -- from the bewildered musings of Jim Brunet

		  decvax!cca!ima!jimb

		  ucbvax!ucla-cs!ism780!jimb

		  ihnp4!vortex!ism780!jimb

johnp@ihuxf.UUCP (John Schleicher) (10/01/85)

> 	     Now that we can pretty much put talk about "Subway Series" and
>      this chatter about "I-70 Series" aside, let's talk seriously.
>      It looks like smart money is riding on a Freeway Series with
>      the Angels and the Dodgers sitting out front.
>
>              I'm not a believer in the Angels but I do like the
>      Dodgers.  Remember, the LCS is 4 out of 7 this year which
>      means the Dodgers will probably pitch Fernando and Orel
>      Herschiser twice. Bob Welch and Jerry Reuss will go at least
>      once. That's just too much for any team.  Even though the
>      Dodger bullpen has been getting rocked lately, Niedenfuer
>      and Ken Howell are still impressive flame-throwers.
>
> 	     Guerrero has been coming back slowly off a sprained wrist
>      and Marshall has taken over as he does for Pedro every now and then.
>
> 	     Just take the 5 Freeway north from the Anaheim until you
>      see the Harbor Freeway and then...

I think that it is a little premature to rule out the I-70 series at this
point in time with the Kansas City Royals tied for first today (1 Oct) with
3 more home games against California and 6 home games overall.  California
is away for their remaining 6 games.

St Louis is still looking strong in the NL East.  Who knows, California
baseball fans may not see either of your teams in the WS.

dday@gymble.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) (10/01/85)

In article <33400018@ISM780.UUCP> michaelf@ISM780.UUCP writes:
>	     Now that we can pretty much put talk about "Subway Series" and
>     this chatter about "I-70 Series" aside, let's talk seriously.
>     It looks like smart money is riding on a Freeway Series with
>     the Angels and the Dodgers sitting out front.

I don't know which major league standings you've been looking at,
but the last time I checked the Cardinals had a 3 game lead with
6 to play and K.C. and California were deadlocked with 3 more
games between them *in Kansas City*.  It looks to me like an I-70
series is still a greater possibility than a Freeway Series.
But I think it's going to be a Toronto-L.A. series anyway. Anybody
out there have a name for that one?

>             I'm not a believer in the Angels but I do like the
>     Dodgers.  Remember, the LCS is 4 out of 7 this year which
>     means the Dodgers will probably pitch Fernando and Orel
>     Herschiser twice. Bob Welch and Jerry Reuss will go at least
>     once. That's just too much for any team.  Even though the
>     Dodger bullpen has been getting rocked lately, Niedenfuer
>     and Ken Howell are still impressive flame-throwers.

This year's World Series may be anticlimactic after what promises
to be a really interesting NL championship series. Consider:
      Game 1 : Tudor vs Valenzuela
      Game 2 : Andujar vs Hershiser
      Game 3 : Cox vs Welch
                 :
                 :
                 :
             to possible
      Game 7 : Tudor vs. Valenzuela showdown

I like the Dodgers because Hershiser has been coming on very strong
while Andujar has been floundering of late.  On the other hand, Tudor
has been unbeatable lately so it should go the full seven.  Even if
the Mets pull off a miracle, it would still be a great series.  I
might even give the Mets the edge over the Dodgers because they
have an almost certain three wins from Dr. K.

Whichever NL team advances will send the remains of Toronto home
in a paper bag.
                              Dennis Doubleday
                              Univ. of Maryland

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) (10/02/85)

> 	     Now that we can pretty much put talk about "Subway Series" and
>      this chatter about "I-70 Series" aside, let's talk seriously.
>      It looks like smart money is riding on a Freeway Series with

It ain't over til it's over.  As of today, Wednesday morning, the New Yorkers,
both the Mets and Yankees, are still in the thick of things.  The Mets beat
the Cards in a classic last nite 1-0 to climb within 2 games of first.  With
Dr. K going tonite they should be within a game by tomorrow at this time.  On
the other side of the Big Apple, the Yanks have caught fire again and have
climbed to within 4 games of the struggling Jays.  With a 3 game series against
the Jays this weekend and a little help from the Tigers the Yanks could once
again end up on top.  You gotta believe!

						Joseph M. Dakes
						AT&T Bell Laboratories
						Reading, PA
						rduxb!jmd

lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (10/04/85)

In article <28000002@ISM780B.UUCP> jimb@ISM780B.UUCP writes:
>Both West teams will get blown out by the respective East teams.
>
>That the Dodgers are in first place is a tribute to the Padres having the
>guts to get rid of Alan Wiggins, Ted Turner's systematic destruction of the
>Braves (previously documented on this net) and playing in a weak division.
>If the Dodgers played in the N.L. East they would be fighting for third
>place.
>

>Of course, Mike, it's hard to be hard on L.A. partisans, most of whom think
>Phoenix is "back East."  (That's okay, I was born in California.)

	I am upset by the sayings that the Dodgers won the NL West
only because it's the NL Worst. C'mon, the Dodgers are playing in a weak
division, but that does NOT mean they cannot beat the Mets nor the
Cardinals. I can easily say the Mets and the Cards are closed to 100 wins
because they play 18 games against a team called Pittsburgh.
The Dodgers are 7-5 against both the Mets and the Cards
in the regular season, so what make you think they would be blown out
by either team?

	May I refresh all the weak memories from the East? The Lakers
played in the weakest Pacific (Pathetic) Division last season, but
who beat the Celtics to win the NBA championship?

--
					Eddy Lor
					...!(ihnp4,ucbvax)!ucla-cs!lor

meehan@ihlpg.UUCP (Meehan) (10/08/85)

> 	May I refresh all the weak memories from the East? The Lakers
> played in the weakest Pacific (Pathetic) Division last season, but
> who beat the Celtics to win the NBA championship?
>
> --
> 					Eddy Lor
> 					...!(ihnp4,ucbvax)!ucla-cs!lor
> 					lor@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
> 					Computer Science Department, UCLA

> We're starting to get a lot of such submissions to the net, and they
> are entirely inappropriate to the newsgroup.  You can talk about the
> Yankees and Blue Jays.  You can even talk about Yankee and Blue Jay
> fans.  However, if I wish to hear a discussion of the relative merits
> of the various cities for reasons that are not connected with the
> game, its play, its participants, or its followers, I'll tune in to
> net.geography.chauvinism.  So CUT IT OUT!

					David Rubin

	You better watch out Eddy or you might get a nasty flame
	because you mentioned a basketball team on a baseball
	newsgroup.

	To each his own!

					Patrick Meehan

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (10/08/85)

If it's not the I-70 Series. . .it's the Baseball Blues.
--
	UUCP: ..decvax!seismo!elsie!ado    ARPA: elsie!ado@seismo.ARPA
	DEC, VAX and Elsie are Digital Equipment and Borden trademarks