[net.sport.baseball] OK BLUE JAYS!

nunes@utai.UUCP (Joe Nunes) (10/06/85)

As of a few hours ago, the Toronto Blue Jays are the 1985 American League
East champions! Once again the forces of goodness and niceness triumph over
the forces of nastiness and rotteness!

jjc@houxl.UUCP (J.CARBONARO) (10/09/85)

<  Subject: OK BLUE JAYS!

<  As of a few hours ago, the Toronto Blue Jays are the 1985 American League
<  East champions! Once again the forces of goodness and niceness triumph over
<  the forces of nastiness and rotteness!

Come on now.  Do you REALLY think the Jays won because their FANS are more
behaved than Yankee FANS.  I think it had quite a bit more to do with
good pitching, don't you?

As an aside, if there really is a TEAM (not its fans) in sport that has the
"bad-guys" reputation, it would have to be football's Raiders, and I think
you'll agree they have been EXTREMELY successful.  I don't know much
about hockey, but I seem to recall a time when the Flyers supposedly
earned their nickname of "Broad Street Bullies" and they, too, were
quite successful.  Please, don't anyone write and tell me that I shouldn't
advocate that kind of team attitude - I don't.

One last thing - we've all read so much (since that anthem-booing incident
in NY) about hatred of Yankee fans, etc.   I was wondering, do people
out there really feel that way about the Yankee PLAYERS?  I've never
lived right in NYC, but have always been within an hour or so from there.
As a result, I've always rooted for the Yanks and Mets (normal "home"
team response), though not fanatically.  When they lose out, I don't brood
about it or anything.  I watch the LCS and World Series and hope to see
good baseball.  Anyhow, I may be slightly prejudiced, but I don't see
what it is about the team itself that makes people violent Yankee-haters.
I MYSELF hate Steinbrenner (the owner) and wish that Billy Martin could
get his off-the-field act together, but aside from that, is there any
real animosity toward the players??
						Joe Carbonaro

nunes@utai.UUCP (Joe Nunes) (10/13/85)

> <  Subject: OK BLUE JAYS!
>
> <  As of a few hours ago, the Toronto Blue Jays are the 1985 American League
> <  East champions! Once again the forces of goodness and niceness triumph over
> <  the forces of nastiness and rotteness!
>
> Come on now.  Do you REALLY think the Jays won because their FANS are more
> behaved than Yankee FANS.  I think it had quite a bit more to do with
> good pitching, don't you?

As the submitter of the paragraph in question I just want to say that you
are way off the mark. The "Once again ... rotteness" quote is a paraphrase
of Maxwell Smart's ("Get Smart") usual comment at the end of a successful
encounter with Kaos. I was trying to be humorous (obviously with little
success) by parodying the typical reaction of a rabid sports fan
(associating their team with Good and all others with Evil).
I would think that the basic silliness of the comment would indicate that.