[net.sport.baseball] OK BLUE JAYS! and post season comments!

ogre@whuts.UUCP (LOCOCO) (10/07/85)

> As of a few hours ago, the Toronto Blue Jays are the 1985 American League
> East champions! Once again the forces of goodness and niceness triumph over
> the forces of nastiness and rotteness!

The words above are uncalled for, but to the fans of Toronto, I render my
heartiest congratulations. You showed great class in spite of the hostile
treatment your team received when in New York. Good luck for the remainder
of post season play. It was a real pleasure battling a classy opponent and
I hope we can do it again next year (with a different result I hope!).
I toast the MVP TEAM: TORONTO.

Final Season Comments:
AL MVP - Should still go to Mattingly although the Bells and Barfields
 	do deserve votes.

AL Cy Young - Guidry might win it but I honestly think Saberhagen deserves it.
	The Toronto staff deserves a good chunk of it.

I can't make an intelligent choice for NL MVP but Dr. K was the best pitcher
	I've seen in years. He deserves the nod for the Cy Young.

KC vs. Toronto - I think the KC experience will squeak by the superior team.

StL vs. LA - The balanced hitting, pitching, and superior team speed of the
	Cards should squelch the Dodgers.

StL vs. KC - I'm an AL fan all the way but I went with the Cards in '82.
	It looks like a repeat to me in this battle of the Show-Me State.
	(Don't you think that's a better name than the I-70 Series.)

I hope I'm completely wrong and the Blue Jays win it all! GO JAYS!

     \   /
    |\\ / |
    | \|  |
    |  |\ |
    |  | \|
				John B. Lo Coco
				(...whuts!ogre)
				(...szuxn!ogre)
				1-201-467-7436

eugene@utcsri.UUCP (Eugene Kligerman) (10/10/85)

In article <317@whuts.UUCP> ogre@whuts.UUCP (LOCOCO) writes:

>KC vs. Toronto - I think the KC experience will squeak by the superior team.

I am not sure why so much emphasis is placed on the experience of the teams
involved. I remember mid-season predictions about the Blue Jays folding
when the pennant race was going to heat up,  then Blue Jays were going to
fold when caged in the Bronx zoo, they are going to fold in the AL series
because they don't have experience, ... etc.

Surely the greater pressure is placed on the teams with greater experience,
as opposed to being placed on teams, which few people give enough credit
or think is good enough.

A typical example has been the first 2 games of the AL series in Toronto.
Although Toronto has scored 12 runs in these two games, none of KC
pitchers were really hit hard.  There were a lot of 'seeing eye' singles,
and only a couple of extra-base hits (doubles).
The problem seems to lie with the mental & physical errors committed by
the KC team (walks, hit batsman, double-pump by a KC infielder on what was
charitably ruled a hit, dropped ball by a first baseman --- all have
occured in the second game).  In fact, I believe that these mental &
physical letdowns have opened the door for the BJs in all the innings in
these two games that the BJs scored in.

The BJs have only one regular with any playoff experience.  I heard it
mentioned on TV that all but one KC starters had some playoff experience.
But is the pressure on the BJs who have made it so far, so quickly, and
so 'unseasoned'?  I think not.
It seems that the pressure is on KC to DO something.  They have won AL West
division 6 times in the last 7 years, but yet have have lost their last
11 playoff games, which seems to cause at least some of their anxiety.

Still, I anticipate that the Royals will not lie down and die, and will
give the Blue Jays some trouble (not too much, I hope).

--

Eugene Kligerman, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

UUCP: {linus ihnp4 allegra floyd utzoo cornell decwrl uw-beaver}!utcsri!eugene

ogre@whuts.UUCP (LOCOCO) (10/14/85)

> In article <317@whuts.UUCP> ogre@whuts.UUCP (LOCOCO) writes:
> >
> >KC vs. Toronto - I think the KC experience will squeak by the superior team.
>
> I am not sure why so much emphasis is placed on the experience of the teams
> involved. I remember mid-season predictions about the Blue Jays folding
> when the pennant race was going to heat up,  then Blue Jays were going to
> fold when caged in the Bronx zoo, they are going to fold in the AL series
> because they don't have experience, ... etc.
>
> Surely the greater pressure is placed on the teams with greater experience,
> as opposed to being placed on teams, which few people give enough credit
> or think is good enough.
>
> The BJs have only one regular with any playoff experience.  I heard it
> mentioned on TV that all but one KC starters had some playoff experience.
> But is the pressure on the BJs who have made it so far, so quickly, and
> so 'unseasoned'?  I think not.
> It seems that the pressure is on KC to DO something.  They have won AL West
> division 6 times in the last 7 years, but yet have have lost their last
> 11 playoff games, which seems to cause at least some of their anxiety.
>
> Still, I anticipate that the Royals will not lie down and die, and will
> give the Blue Jays some trouble (not too much, I hope).
>
> --
>
> Eugene Kligerman, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto
>
> UUCP: {linus ihnp4 allegra floyd utzoo cornell decwrl uw-beaver}!utcsri!eugene

I just wish to clarify my statement that you quoted Eugene. I think that the
Blue Jays are the superior team as I said. I place my prediction of the KC
Royals beating the Jays on mostly a gut feeling of the matchup of the two
teams. The Royals are a more experienced playoff team and that just seemed to
me to be the little edge of a very closely matched pair of teams. Overall I
wish to reemphasize that I think the Jays are the superior team but in a head
to head matchup the Royals are even with them. I've been making my gut feelings
heard by friends of mine over the past few years and when it involves an AL
Eastern team I'm usually on the mark. I guess it comes from watching a lot
of Yankee matchups against their rivals. I saw the Brewers coming, the Orioles,
and the Tigers, and for the past few years I saw the games that Toronto had
with the Yankees. That is why I predicted at the beginning of the season that
the Jays would win the East.

As for next year I got a feeling that all of you Yankee haters don't want to
hear, but when pitching is sought after and lands in NY, the Yanks are comin'
AGAIN!

     \   /
    |\\ / |
    | \|  |
    |  |\ |
    |  | \|
				John B. Lo Coco
				(...whuts!ogre)
				(...szuxn!ogre)
				1-201-467-7436

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) (10/15/85)

In article <323@whuts.UUCP> ogre@whuts.UUCP (LOCOCO) writes:

>As for next year I got a feeling that all of you Yankee haters don't want to
>hear, but when pitching is sought after and lands in NY, the Yanks are comin'
>AGAIN!
>
>     \   /
>    |\\ / |
>    | \|  |
>    |  |\ |
>    |  | \|
>				John B. Lo Coco
>				(...whuts!ogre)
>				(...szuxn!ogre)
>				1-201-467-7436

I don't think the Yankees are going to make it it they fire Billy Martin
(or whatever they are trying to do with him).  Although, Billy Martin is
trouble at times, they may have made it this year if he starts with the
team.