[net.sport.baseball] AL MVP - Its Gotta Be...

schneider@2littl.DEC (10/03/85)

> Wade Boggs!!  I don`t care if the Bosox disappointed me again,
> his year is just tremendous.  He`s the guy I`d want on my team.

Alright, now how about taking your Wade Boggs-type hitter and
giving him a dimension that Boggs does not have - power.  Then
make him into a Gold Glove type fielder.  Have you created a
Frankenstein?  No, just Don Mattingly.

> Over 225 hits - nobody is close in the AL ( Mattingly has 194 as
> of Sunday) Most of any major leaguer since 1980.  Even if McGee
> was in the AL, he`d STILL be 15 points back!  Batting .374,
> about to take his 2nd batting title, he made a potential race
> between himself, Brett and Mattingly into a runaway.

You want to talk statistics?  Choke on these:

1-.325 batting average
2-34 home runs
3-closing in on 150 RBIs
4-over 100 runs scored
5-almost 50 doubles
6-Best bet to win the Gold Glove
7-leads baseball in Slugging Pct.
8-runaway leader in Game Winning Hits

> Can he help it that Boston`s pitching still needs help?

Can he overcome it despite a strong line up around him?

>   Carlton won the MVP
> when he won 27 for the lowly Phils in the early 70s.  I`d compare
> that to Wade`s situation.   Not much press cause Boston`s out of
> it.  You know, if any current young player show potential to break
> Rose`s record, Boggs sure does.  Yankee/Mattingly fan comments welcome.
> Tom O`Connor

Someone else has given a fine argument to the statement about Rose's
record and that's not grounds for an MVP anyway.  As nebulous an
accomplishment as it is, it seems clear that Mattingly does the most to
help his team win.  In fact you shouldn't be surprised if either
Henderson or Winfield finish ahead of Boggs too.  They do things to win
games, not batting titles.  (Did I forget to mention the park differential?)

		Daniel Schneider
		{decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-monty!dec-2littl!schneider

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (10/12/85)

>   Carlton won the MVP
> when he won 27 for the lowly Phils in the early 70s.  I`d compare
> that to Wade`s situation.   Not much press cause Boston`s out of
> it.  You know, if any current young player show potential to break
> Rose`s record, Boggs sure does.  Yankee/Mattingly fan comments welcome.
> Tom O`Connor

How many games did the Phils win that year, and which year was it?
It seems to me they lost in excess of 100.

Roy

lip@gcc-bill.ARPA (Seth Lipkin) (10/16/85)

In article <4500060@hpmtla.UUCP> roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) writes:
>>   Carlton won the MVP
>> when he won 27 for the lowly Phils in the early 70s.
>
>How many games did the Phils win that year, and which year was it?
>It seems to me they lost in excess of 100.

It was 1972, and the Phillies won 59 games.  Carlton did NOT win the
MVP that year, just the Cy Young.  He won 15 straight at one point, until
beaten by Phil Niekro and the Braves.

I believe (someone check this!) that Johnny Bench won the MVP that year,
as well as in 1970.

pete@umcp-cs.UUCP (Pete Cottrell) (10/18/85)

>In article <4500060@hpmtla.UUCP> roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) writes:
>>>   Carlton won the MVP
>>> when he won 27 for the lowly Phils in the early 70s.
>>
>>How many games did the Phils win that year, and which year was it?
>>It seems to me they lost in excess of 100.
>
>It was 1972, and the Phillies won 59 games.  Carlton did NOT win the
>MVP that year, just the Cy Young.  He won 15 straight at one point, until
>beaten by Phil Niekro and the Braves.
>
>I believe (someone check this!) that Johnny Bench won the MVP that year,
>as well as in 1970.

Johnny Bench was indeed the MVP for both 1970 and 1972.

--
Call-Me:   Pete Cottrell, Univ. of Md. Comp. Sci. Dept.
UUCP:	   {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!pete