[net.sport.baseball] Reply:winningest team

tmg@druhi.UUCP (GilipskyTM) (10/11/85)

> St. Louis Cardinals
> The winningest team in baseball should dispose of the Dodgers in
> 5 games. The World Series will be an anti-climax as either of the
> NL teams could defeat the "minor league" representative. Praise to
> all that's sacred, they will play BASEBALL this year as opposed to
> the disgusting bastardization of THE GAME that is currently played
> by the "minor league" and foisted on baseball fans every other year.

>             DEATH before DH !!

After reading this I hope the Cards do come back and beat L.A. so I can watch
them go up to Cananda and get their butts kicked in.  I am against the DH
myself but I also think the A.L. has a good chance. If the Jays would win
the W.S. (L.A. is looking good though) I do believe that would make it 3
in a row for the A.L. EAST. It doesn't matter though, it could be 10
in a row and some people would still have these silly misperceptions that
the A.L. and its fans are only there to make the N.L. look like its
something outstanding and special.

				Tom Gilipsky

jimmy@scgvaxd.UUCP (J A Raisanen) (10/15/85)

In article <115@druhi.UUCP> tmg@druhi.UUCP (GilipskyTM) writes:
>> St. Louis Cardinals
>> The winningest team in baseball should dispose of the Dodgers in
>> 5 games. The World Series will be an anti-climax as either of the
>> NL teams could defeat the "minor league" representative. Praise to
>> all that's sacred, they will play BASEBALL this year as opposed to
>> the disgusting bastardization of THE GAME that is currently played
>> by the "minor league" and foisted on baseball fans every other year.
>
>>             DEATH before DH !!
>
>After reading this I hope the Cards do come back and beat L.A. so I can watch
>them go up to Cananda and get their butts kicked in.  I am against the DH
>myself but I also think the A.L. has a good chance. If the Jays would win
>the W.S. (L.A. is looking good though) I do believe that would make it 3
>in a row for the A.L. EAST. It doesn't matter though, it could be 10
>in a row and some people would still have these silly misperceptions that
>the A.L. and its fans are only there to make the N.L. look like its
>something outstanding and special.
>
>				Tom Gilipsky

I am FOR the DH, sure it's new and it changes the game, but they laughed
at the man who invented penicillin!  As for the cards, their chances of
winning in 5 are as good as their chances of beating the Jays!**  Besides
who really likes watching NL pitchers bat, when all they do is strike
out, ground out, bunt or GENERALLY do something paltry like that?!!!!
Get the Fire truck ready men there could be a fire soon!!!!

				Jim Raisanen

**  Or the Royals for that matter!  Go Blue(s)!!!

kenf@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (10/17/85)

  It has been said that a team consisting of the best 25 players from
the Blue Jays and the Royals  MIGHT  be able to beat the Pittsburgh
Pirates in a seven game series of REAL (no DH) Baseball. The Championship
of the World ended with a two-out ninth inning blast over the left field
wall in Dodger Stadium. All that's left is George Brett vs. the World
Champion St. Louis Cardinals and Brett is terribly outnumbered.

    THANK YOU TOMMY LASORDA !!

ken fortenberry

kaufman@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/17/85)

Record of the two leagues in the World Series since the inception of the
DH in 1973:

In Series with the DH:  National - 3 Series, 15 games
                        American - 2 Series, 13 games

Without the DH:         American - 4 Series, 25 games
                        National - 3 Series, 19 games

Seems to me the better team usually wins regardless of whether or not the DH
is involved.

Speaking of which, if anyone thinks baseball is ruined by the DH, compare its
effects to the modern habit (especially in the NL) of playing in carpeted
clone parks.  Yeccch-o!

Ken Kaufman (uiucdcs!kaufman)
Looking forward to a 1986 I-87-678 World Series

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) (10/18/85)

In article <427@scgvaxd.UUCP> jimmy@scgvaxd.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:

>I am FOR the DH, sure it's new and it changes the game, but they laughed
>at the man who invented penicillin!  As for the cards, their chances of
>winning in 5 are as good as their chances of beating the Jays!**  Besides
>who really likes watching NL pitchers bat, when all they do is strike
>out, ground out, bunt or GENERALLY do something paltry like that?!!!!
>Get the Fire truck ready men there could be a fire soon!!!!
>
>				Jim Raisanen
>
>**  Or the Royals for that matter!  Go Blue(s)!!!

I don't particularly like the DH, but I do have to agree that I would
rather wach Reggie Jackson, or Cliff Johnson, or a lot of other DH's
bat than a pitcher.  It is also true that DH is one reason a lot of
old players can stay in the game, but I still rather watch these guys
bat than a pitcher (or anyone else).

However, after having said that, I also believe that there is no
really valid argument for the DH system.  Why does the first baseman
have to bat anyways? (for example)