[net.sport.baseball] Earl Weaver

In article <458@bdmrrr.UUCP> gates@bdmrrr.UUCP (Al Gates) writes:
> But back to Earl Weaver--
>Weaver managed some fantastic talent in the last 20 years.  This year
>was his first real test for the Orioles had some shortcomings going into
>the season.  (at that time it was their hitting that was suspect)
>Weaver will get an oppurtunity to prove himself next year, when he has a
>full year to work with the team.

There is a quote from Earl Weaver -- this may not be word for word, but
it's pretty close: "Of course I never managed a bad team.  That's the
*point*."  Now I don't know how different the personnel on the O's
would have been if he had been running the team at the beginning of the
season -- but he arranged to manage some fantastic talent in the last
20 years.

>I thought Joe Altobelli got a rotten deal.  He took the Orioles to the
>world championship in 1983 and was completely forgotten two days after
>he was fired.  It's too bad.  I liked his style of managing more than
>Earl Weaver.  (for one thing he was willing to play for one run and have
>hitters BUNT!)

I think Earl Weaver's style of managing was just about perfect.  90% of
the time, playing for one run is *stupid*.  Especially bunting.

I think Weaver is clearly the best of the established modern managers,
although Johnson with New York may ultimately prove better.

>side note: yes, I do follow the Orioles as well--I'm waiting for the day
>when I can root for the WASHINGTON SENATORS!

I'm a Cubs fan.  I couldn't care less about the Orioles, and I hate the
Mets.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka