[net.sport.baseball] canesco

jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) (10/08/85)

I am an A's fan and have been for a long time, but of late, I have
have not kept up with their crop of new acquisitions.  Who is this
guy Caneseco/Canseco (????), and is he that good?  what position does
he play, and does he have hands like feet.  Also, how does the
pitching staff look for next year?  (Will there ever be group like
the '81 staff of Norris, Langford, Kingman, Keogh, McCatty !?!?!?!?!
that sh*thead Billy Martin @!#$%&^*()!@)
Being on the east coast, all I read about are the Mets, Yankees, and
Orioles.
And what is the story with putting in Griffin for two innings in game
162, without even an at-bat?  Is this some sort of record for ss's?
I rather doubt it 'cause of other iron-men like Cal Ripkin(who has
n+1 consecutive games played.)

					Sunny
					One of the few A's fans left

gates@bdmrrr.UUCP (Al Gates) (10/10/85)

> (Will there ever be group like
> the '81 staff of Norris, Langford, Kingman, Keogh, McCatty !?!?!?!?!
> that sh*thead Billy Martin @!#$%&^*()!@)
> 					Sunny
> 					One of the few A's fans left

Hold on here!  If Billy Martin had not come to Oakland, I honestly believe
they would not have experienced the two years of success that they had
in 1980 and 1981.  He took a team that lost 108 games in 1979, and got
them to finish above .500.  Had Billy Martin not managed the A's, Tony
Armas may have never gotten a chance to play and achieve the stardom that
he has.  One of Billy's first decisions was that Armas was going to be
his starting right fielder.

Billy Martin did not burn out Mike Norris.  Mike Norris burned out Mike Norris.
It was great the Billy could motivate him for one career year.  Norris probably
would have never lived up to his potential in any season had Billy not been
in Oakland.

Had Billy Martin used the bullpen in 1980 and 1981 (and thus sparing his
starters some innings) the A's would not have won as many games.  They would
still be searching for their first AL West title since 1975.  Billy took a team
that was going to be sub .500 for ten years and offered two years of decent
baseball.  When was the last time you saw a team finish above .500 with
Wayne Gross at third (lots of errors .230 batting average), Mario Guerrero
at short, and Dave McKay at second?

Give Billy Martin a lot of credit.  If you want two good years out of a bad
club, he can get it for you.  By the way, look at the great job he did with
the Yankees this year.

Side note:  I am an avid Oakland A's fan as well.  We truly are a dying breed.

--
  /\                                                    /\
 /  \/^\   /\              /\/\/\  /^\    /\          /^/\^\  /\

eugene@utcsri.UUCP (Eugene Kligerman) (10/10/85)

In article <1103@princeton.UUCP> jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) writes:
>And what is the story with putting in Griffin for two innings in game
>162, without even an at-bat?  Is this some sort of record for ss's?
>I rather doubt it 'cause of other iron-men like Cal Ripkin(who has
>n+1 consecutive games played.)

Actually the story is somewhat different:
1) Player involved was Tony Fernandez (BJ ss)
2) He did get an 'at-bat', because he was pinch-hitting in the bottom of
   the ninth with two outs in game 162 against the Yamks (Niekro going
   after win # 300)
This story is not really noteworthy, except to the Blue Jays and Fernandez
himself.  Apparently, he was the only BJ to play all 162 games this year.
This was especially gratifying to Fernandez, especially since he had a
nickname 'glass' in the minor league because he often got injured.
So letting Fernandez pinch hit was simply a nice gesture by manager Cox
to the 'iron' man of the Blue Jays of '85.
By the way, Fernandez got a double in that at bat, but was stranded at
second when Niekro struck out the next batter to preserve the shutout.

--

Eugene Kligerman, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

UUCP: {linus ihnp4 allegra floyd utzoo cornell decwrl uw-beaver}!utcsri!eugene

ogre@whuts.UUCP (LOCOCO) (10/14/85)

> > (Will there ever be group like
> > the '81 staff of Norris, Langford, Kingman, Keogh, McCatty !?!?!?!?!
> > that sh*thead Billy Martin @!#$%&^*()!@)
> > 					Sunny
> > 					One of the few A's fans left
>
> Al Gates\^/  \/\          /      \/   \/\/  \/\      /    ^ \/  \^^^\
> responds:
> Hold on here!  If Billy Martin had not come to Oakland, I honestly believe
> they would not have experienced the two years of success that they had
> in 1980 and 1981.  He took a team that lost 108 games in 1979, and got
> them to finish above .500.
>
> Had Billy Martin used the bullpen in 1980 and 1981 (and thus sparing his
> starters some innings) the A's would not have won as many games.  They would
> still be searching for their first AL West title since 1975.  Billy took a team
> that was going to be sub .500 for ten years and offered two years of decent
> baseball.
>
> Give Billy Martin a lot of credit.  If you want two good years out of a bad
> club, he can get it for you.  By the way, look at the great job he did with
> the Yankees this year.
>
> Side note:  I am an avid Oakland A's fan as well.  We truly are a dying breed.

Hear hear! It's just a damn shame that the words I heard on the morning radio
were about the fourth firing of Martin from the Yanks. Wake up George! What
Billy does on his own time shouldn't affect your decisions on his career.
What's the matter? Did he steal the spotlight from you this year? So what,
the Yanks didn't make it this year. They wouldn't have been close without
Martin.

Billy has been to the playoffs with I believe four teams (Minnesota, Detroit,
Oakland, and the Yankees). Are there any others I missed? How long did he
take to get there with these teams? It couldn't have been long; he has a
knack for getting fired. Is this a record with the number of teams he has
made it with? All I know is in my lifetime there were two great Managers:
Earl Weaver and Billy Martin. I don't think Casey Stengel can qualify cause
Martin was telling him what to do when he played back in the early fifties.

By the way I love you A's too! They are my AL West team and if I ever moved to
California it would be in the Bay Area. GO A's!

     \   /
    |\\ / |
    | \|  |
    |  |\ |
    |  | \|
				John B. Lo Coco
				(...whuts!ogre)
				(...szuxn!ogre)
				1-201-467-7436

jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) (10/15/85)

> > (Will there ever be group like
> > the '81 staff of Norris, Langford, Kingman, Keogh, McCatty !?!?!?!?!
> Hold on here!  If Billy Martin had not come to Oakland, I honestly believe
> they would not have experienced the two years of success that they had
> in 1980 and 1981.  He took a team that lost 108 games in 1979, and got
> them to finish above .500.  Had Billy Martin not managed the A's, Tony
> Armas may have never gotten a chance to play and achieve the stardom that
> he has.  One of Billy's first decisions was that Armas was going to be
> his starting right fielder.

What you say about the two years of over .500 ball is true.  However, I
would have preferred four years of mediocre ball and still have the
starting staff around to complement the rather surprisingly good hitting
(even without Ricky Henderson)....think of it! they coulda bin a
contenda'!  You are saying that the pitchers may have been just flukes?
Well, I'd rather take the chance than burning them out for certain; I
mean who ever heard of 90+ complete games for a pitching staff after
WWII?  And previous to that, the pitchers didn't throw the stuff that
strains the arm (as much)....and spitters were ok then, too.  As for
Armas, I think he is overrated....he was mediocre at best in the
Oakland Alameda County stadium; but as soon as he goes to Fenway, and
sees the matchbox size stadium....I am not saying anything against the
Bosox (esp. Rice), but most of Armas' HR's are high fly balls that
clear the "green monster" (very unlike the shots that Rice hits).
But I am digressing....
> Billy Martin did not burn out Mike Norris.  Mike Norris burned out Mike Norris.
> It was great the Billy could motivate him for one career year.  Norris probably
> would have never lived up to his potential in any season had Billy not been
> in Oakland.
>
> Had Billy Martin used the bullpen in 1980 and 1981 (and thus sparing his
> starters some innings) the A's would not have won as many games.  They would
> still be searching for their first AL West title since 1975.  Billy took a team
> that was going to be sub .500 for ten years and offered two years of decent
> baseball.  When was the last time you saw a team finish above .500 with
> Wayne Gross at third (lots of errors .230 batting average), Mario Guerrero
> at short, and Dave McKay at second?
>
> Give Billy Martin a lot of credit.  If you want two good years out of a bad
> club, he can get it for you.  By the way, look at the great job he did with
> the Yankees this year.

I'm glad you brought this up.  Let's look at our neighborhood team, the
Orioles, who finished around five (six?) games over .500 this year.
I just did a comparison of the two teams, and the O's come out ahead
in the hitting in the infield (Murray and Ripkin and Wiggins = 2 1/4 +'s
- since Wiggins only played about a quarter of the season, and he wasn't
all that good anyway), and the A's come out ahead in the outfield
(Henderson and Armas = 1 + 1/2 +'s).  I am calling Fragile Freddy
and Murphy even, although Murphy played in substantially more games
with better stats -- Lynn's sub weren't so hot....  You would agree
that the A's staff blows doors on the O's, yes?  The former had a
combined ERA in the low/mid 3's, whereas the latter had a laughable
4.something or other.  I would give the nod to the A's in view of the
fact that good pitching always beats good hitting, as proved as recently
as the All-star game this year.  It is ironic that Gross would play for
both teams....So I don't think Billy did such a hot job then (the A's
would have done well with any competent - competent, not great - manager
;  and you can't tell me that I am comparing him to Weaver, one of the
best in the game.  The truth is, he screwed up this year as well....
with the very solid nucleus of Ripkin and Murray and a pitching staff
that was impressive the previous year, he was only 5/6 games over.  So,
Weaver should have done better also.  All things considered, Martin
did an adequate job.);  nor did Billy do a good job
this year.  He should have won it, with the likes
of Winfield, Henderson, Mattingly, Randolph, Guidry, etc.

But why am I arguing with an A's fan?  It's just that I get burned up
whenever I think of what could have been.  And I just want to flame
Billy Martin.
I was hoping the Orioles would clobber the Yankees this year but ....

> Side note:  I am an avid Oakland A's fan as well.  We truly are a dying breed.
>
> --
>   /\                                                    /\
>  /  \/^\   /\              /\/\/\  /^\    /\          /^/\^\  /\
> Al Gates\^/  \/\          /      \/   \/\/  \/\      /    ^ \/  \^^^\
> BDM Corporation \/\ /^\  /      {seismo,rlgvax}!bdmrrr!gates \    /\ \
> 7915 Jones Branch Drive\/          \            \  /          \  /  \ \
> McLean, Virginia  22102 \           \            \/            \/    \ \
>                          \                        \                     \^^\
Hey, I am originally from Northern Virginia also.  Do you follow the O's?

					Sunny Lee

jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) (10/15/85)

> > > (Will there ever be group like
> > > the '81 staff of Norris, Langford, Kingman, Keogh, McCatty !?!?!?!?!
> > Hold on here!  If Billy Martin had not come to Oakland, I honestly believe
> > they would not have experienced the two years of success that they had
> > in 1980 and 1981.  He took a team that lost 108 games in 1979, and got
> > them to finish above .500.  Had Billy Martin not managed the A's, Tony
> > Armas may have never gotten a chance to play and achieve the stardom that
> > he has.  One of Billy's first decisions was that Armas was going to be
> > his starting right fielder.
> >
> What you say about the two years of over .500 ball is true.  However, I
> would have preferred four years of mediocre ball and still have the
> starting staff around to complement the rather surprisingly good hitting
> (even without Ricky Henderson)....think of it! they coulda bin a
> contenda'!  You are saying that the pitchers may have been just flukes?
> Well, I'd rather take the chance than burning them out for certain; I
> mean who ever heard of 90+ complete games for a pitching staff after
> WWII?  And previous to that, the pitchers didn't throw the stuff that
> strains the arm (as much)....and spitters were ok then, too.  As for
> Armas, I think he is overrated....he was mediocre at best in the
> Oakland Alameda County stadium; but as soon as he goes to Fenway, and
> sees the matchbox size stadium....I am not saying anything against the
> Bosox (esp. Rice), but most of Armas' HR's are pop-ups/fly balls that
> clear the "green monster" (very unlike the shots that Rice hits), but
would be caught in most other ball parks.

mnh@duts.UUCP (Mark Haynie) (10/15/85)

In article <1486@utcsri.UUCP>, Eugene Kligerman writes:
> In article <1103@princeton.UUCP> jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) writes:
> >And what is the story with putting in Griffin for two innings in game
> >162, without even an at-bat?
>
> Actually the story is somewhat different:
> 1) Player involved was Tony Fernandez (BJ ss)

Alfredo Griffin did play all 162 games for the A's this year, the only
Athletic to accomplish this feat.  After 161 though, he was a aching
a bit and was pulled after two innings.  Thank's to Toronto for giving
us Griffin and Dave Collins this year -- the trade worked out great:
I haven't seen Bill Caudill play in the LCS yet.

What other players around the leagues have played 162 this year?
--
                       Mark Haynie
                       Amdahl Corp.

ogre@whuts.UUCP (LOCOCO) (10/16/85)

> > > (Will there ever be group like
> > > the '81 staff of Norris, Langford, Kingman, Keogh, McCatty !?!?!?!?!
> > Hold on here!  If Billy Martin had not come to Oakland, I honestly believe
>
> I'm glad you brought this up.  Let's look at our neighborhood team, the
> Orioles, who finished around five (six?) games over .500 this year.

>         I would give the nod to the A's in view of the
> fact that good pitching always beats good hitting, as proved as recently
> as the All-star game this year.
> both teams....So I don't think Billy did such a hot job then (the A's
> would have done well with any competent - competent, not great - manager
> ;  and you can't tell me that I am comparing him to Weaver, one of the
> best in the game.  The truth is, he screwed up this year as well....
> with the very solid nucleus of Ripkin and Murray and a pitching staff
> that was impressive the previous year, he was only 5/6 games over.  So,
> Weaver should have done better also.  All things considered, Martin
> did an adequate job.);  nor did Billy do a good job
> this year.  He should have won it, with the likes
> of Winfield, Henderson, Mattingly, Randolph, Guidry, etc.

FLAME ON!
I think you should try reading the B.S. you wrote that I just extracted
from your article. You just don't like Billy. In one sentence you say
good pitching always beats good hitting (very true!) and in the next you
can't understand why Billy didn't win with the likes of five mentioned
players including the only starting pitcher the Yankees have worth mentioning.
If the Yankees had the pitching the O's have on their staff, the Jays along
with the rest of the AL East would have eaten Yankee dust. Get off of your
Hate Martin kick; you just can't recognize good managerial talent or anything
else for that matter. Watch where any team goes with Weaver or Martin at the
helm from the BEGINNING of the season; so that the manager has a chance to
pound into his players the necessary basic skills in order to play good
baseball. Yogi is a great guy, but he is too easy on his players.
FLAME OFF!

     \   /
    |\\ / |
    | \|  |
    |  |\ |
    |  | \|
				John B. Lo Coco
				(...whuts!ogre)
				(...szuxn!ogre)
				1-201-467-7436

gates@bdmrrr.UUCP (Al Gates) (10/16/85)

> ;  and you can't tell me that I am comparing him to Weaver, one of the
> best in the game.  The truth is, he screwed up this year as well....
> with the very solid nucleus of Ripkin and Murray and a pitching staff
> that was impressive the previous year, he was only 5/6 games over.  So,
> Weaver should have done better also.  All things considered, Martin
> did an adequate job.);

I agree that Earl Weaver fouled up the Orioles this year.  That may have
been because Ray Miller left to manage Minnesota.  He is a whale of a
pitching coach.  Earl Weaver is as lost without Ray Miller as Billy Martin
is without Art Fowler.  The O's pitcher I am really disappointed in is
Storm Davis.  I expect he'll bounce back next year.  I never thought
Boddicker was that good.  When I watch him live, it looks like his pitches
are moving about 40 miles per hour.  It seemed like he was getting creamed
in the early innings of each of his starts.  But back to Earl Weaver--
Weaver managed some fantastic talent in the last 20 years.  This year
was his first real test for the Orioles had some shortcomings going into
the season.  (at that time it was their hitting that was suspect)
Weaver will get an oppurtunity to prove himself next year, when he has a
full year to work with the team.

I thought Joe Altobelli got a rotten deal.  He took the Orioles to the
world championship in 1983 and was completely forgotten two days after
he was fired.  It's too bad.  I liked his style of managing more than
Earl Weaver.  (for one thing he was willing to play for one run and have
hitters BUNT!)

side note: yes, I do follow the Orioles as well--I'm waiting for the day
when I can root for the WASHINGTON SENATORS!

--

jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) (10/17/85)

> FLAME ON!
> I think you should try reading the B.S. you wrote that I just extracted
> from your article. You just don't like Billy. In one sentence you say
> good pitching always beats good hitting (very true!) and in the next you
> can't understand why Billy didn't win with the likes of five mentioned
> players including the only starting pitcher the Yankees have worth mentioning.
> If the Yankees had the pitching the O's have on their staff, the Jays along
> with the rest of the AL East would have eaten Yankee dust. Get off of your
> Hate Martin kick; you just can't recognize good managerial talent or anything
> else for that matter. Watch where any team goes with Weaver or Martin at the
> helm from the BEGINNING of the season; so that the manager has a chance to
> pound into his players the necessary basic skills in order to play good
> baseball. Yogi is a great guy, but he is too easy on his players.
> FLAME OFF!
>
>      \   /
>     |\\ / |
>     | \|  |
>     |  |\ |
>     |  | \|
> 				John B. Lo Coco
> 				(...whuts!ogre)
> 				(...szuxn!ogre)
> 				1-201-467-7436

what? you contradict yourself...."if the yankees had the pitching that the
o's have...."; what the hell are you talking about, the o's had era over
4 this year.  also, i didn't say that weaver was a bad manager, just that
he screwed up this season.  And I agree that he may have done a better
job if he started at the beginning of the season.  And as an aside, I
happen to think Weaver is indeed a good/great manager.  I do not classify
martin here because he has no regard for his players future, if it
should get in the way of his future plans.  I believe (you will vehemently
disagree) that he knew he didn't want to stay with the A's, so tried to
make himself look good at any cost, and impress George.
Which he did and he ended up where
he wanted to be, NY.

BUT, is billy your father or something?  I mean, I said that I hated
billy in my original message....but what's your excuse for loving him?
Stop thinking with you tiny head up
your colon every time someone criticizes anything that is remotely connected
with the yankees, a team which you are in love with obviously.

And since you took it upon yourself to make this net.flame.....
SHPX LBH, NFFUBYR!

					Sun_Man

jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) (10/17/85)

> > FLAME ON!
> > I think you should try reading the B.S. you wrote that I just extracted
> > from your article. You just don't like Billy. In one sentence you say
> > good pitching always beats good hitting (very true!) and in the next you
> > can't understand why Billy didn't win with the likes of five mentioned
> > players including the only starting pitcher the Yankees have worth mentioning.
> > If the Yankees had the pitching the O's have on their staff, the Jays along
> > with the rest of the AL East would have eaten Yankee dust. Get off of your
> > Hate Martin kick; you just can't recognize good managerial talent or anything
> > else for that matter. Watch where any team goes with Weaver or Martin at the
> > helm from the BEGINNING of the season; so that the manager has a chance to
> > pound into his players the necessary basic skills in order to play good
> > baseball. Yogi is a great guy, but he is too easy on his players.
> > FLAME OFF!
> >
> >      \   /
> >     |\\ / |
> >     | \|  |
> >     |  |\ |
> >     |  | \|
> > 				John B. Lo Coco
> > 				(...whuts!ogre)
> > 				(...szuxn!ogre)
> > 				1-201-467-7436

can you read?????  I said ....,....,Guidry, etc.  Note the "etc."
I never said that the rest of the staff was terrible, you did.

> Also, YOU contradict yourself...."if the yankees had the pitching that the
> o's have...."; what the hell are you talking about, the o's had era over
> 4 this year.  Further, I didn't say that weaver was a bad manager, just that
> he screwed up this season.  And I agree that he probably would have done a better
> job if he started at the beginning of the season.  And as an aside, I
> happen to think Weaver is indeed a good/great manager.  I do not classify
> martin here because he has no regard for his players future, if it
> should get in the way of his future plans.  I believe (you will vehemently
> disagree) that he knew he didn't want to stay with the A's, so tried to
> make himself look good at any cost, and impress George.  He managed to
do this by pushing his players to the point that permanent injury/burnout
resulted.

So George is impressed and hires Martin again.

> BUT, is billy your father or something?  I mean, I said that I hated
> billy in my original message....but what's your excuse for loving him?
> Stop thinking with you tiny head up
> your colon every time someone criticizes anything that is remotely connected
> with the yankees, a team which you are in love with obviously.
>
> And since you took it upon yourself to make this net.flame.....
> SHPX LBH, NFFUBYR!

Oraq bire 'pnhfr Ovyyl jnagf gb tvir vg gb lbh.

pete@umcp-cs.UUCP (Pete Cottrell) (10/18/85)

In article <458@bdmrrr.UUCP> gates@bdmrrr.UUCP (Al Gates) writes:
>I agree that Earl Weaver fouled up the Orioles this year.  That may have
>been because Ray Miller left to manage Minnesota.  He is a whale of a
>pitching coach.  Earl Weaver is as lost without Ray Miller as Billy Martin
>is without Art Fowler.

I would only partially agree with this. The whole staff had off years
and weren't doing that well when Ray left.

>I thought Joe Altobelli got a rotten deal.

Now THIS I agree with, but I have to admit I was glad to see Earl back.

>side note: yes, I do follow the Orioles as well--I'm waiting for the day
>when I can root for the WASHINGTON SENATORS!

Ahhh, music to my ears. I think that day'll be here soon. From the
count-your-chickens-before-they-hatch department, this a call to all
net baseballers to come to D.C. on opening day 1987 and to celebrate and
to attend yet another home-opener loss. I'll meet you there, Al.
--
Call-Me:   Pete Cottrell, Univ. of Md. Comp. Sci. Dept.
UUCP:	   {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!pete

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) (10/18/85)

In article <1120@princeton.UUCP> jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) writes:
>> FLAME ON!
>> FLAME OFF!
>>
>>      \   /
>>     |\\ / |
>>     | \|  |
>>     |  |\ |
>>     |  | \|
>> 				John B. Lo Coco
>> 				(...whuts!ogre)
>> 				(...szuxn!ogre)
>> 				1-201-467-7436
>
>should get in the way of his future plans.  I believe (you will vehemently
>disagree) that he knew he didn't want to stay with the A's, so tried to
>make himself look good at any cost, and impress George.
>Which he did and he ended up where
>he wanted to be, NY.

So?  Who cares?  Didn't he get the job done in NY?  Without Billy Martin,
the Yanks would have probably fininshed near the basement of the AL east;
with Martin, they came close to winning it.

>BUT, is billy your father or something?  I mean, I said that I hated
>billy in my original message....but what's your excuse for loving him?
>Stop thinking with you tiny head up
>your colon every time someone criticizes anything that is remotely connected
>with the yankees, a team which you are in love with obviously.

I myself (not the original person being addressed in the above) am not
a Yankee fan.  However, you have to give credit where credit is due.
I like Billy Martin and what he seems to achieve with his teams (just
before being fired); his personality I don't like, and I wouldn't want
him to manage my team, but that's beside the point - his teams seem to do
well, which is what counts for a lot of people.

>And since you took it upon yourself to make this net.flame.....
>SHPX LBH, NFFUBYR!
>

>					Sun_Man
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

If you read net.baseball, you are likely not going to look into net.flame
to see if anyone disagrees with you.

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR TOOTHPICKS ***

In article <127@duts.UUCP> mnh@duts.UUCP (Mark Haynie) writes:
>In article <1486@utcsri.UUCP>, Eugene Kligerman writes:
>> In article <1103@princeton.UUCP> jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) writes:
>> >And what is the story with putting in Griffin for two innings in game
>> >162, without even an at-bat?
>>
>> Actually the story is somewhat different:
>> 1) Player involved was Tony Fernandez (BJ ss)
>
>Alfredo Griffin did play all 162 games for the A's this year, the only
>Athletic to accomplish this feat.  After 161 though, he was a aching
>a bit and was pulled after two innings.  Thank's to Toronto for giving
>
>What other players around the leagues have played 162 this year?
>--

Just a note; Tony Fernandez did play all in all of the Jays games, but
he only played in 161 games (regular season); the Jays had a makeup
game against the Oriols, which was never played.

borodkin@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/24/85)

/* Written  7:33 am  Oct 16, 1985 by gates@bdmrrr.UUCP in uiucdcsb:net.sport.baseball */

> I agree that Earl Weaver fouled up the Orioles this year.
> ...                                        But back to Earl Weaver--
> Weaver managed some fantastic talent in the last 20 years.  This year
> was his first real test for the Orioles had some shortcomings going into
> the season.  (at that time it was their hitting that was suspect)
> Weaver will get an oppurtunity to prove himself next year, when he has a
> full year to work with the team.

To say that 1985 was Earl Weaver's first big test as a manager is
to miss an important point.  In his autobiography, Earl Weaver says
something to the effect that "Some say that I am not as good as my
record indicates because we've always had a lot of talent on the
Orioles.  Well, that's the idea.  You make good trades and acquisitions
in December so they'll win you games in August."

Managers don't win games by knowing when to put on the hit and run;
they win games by picking up under-valued players in December, and
choosing among them in March.  So look out next year as the Orioles
combine Earl Weaver's judgment with Edward Bennet Williams's cash.

			Stephen L. Borodkin

        		USENET:	...!{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!borodkin
        		CSNET:	borodkin%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
        		ARPA:	borodkin@uiuc.arpa