[net.sport.baseball] An infield-fly-rule question

pumphrey@ttidcb.UUCP (Larry Pumphrey) (10/15/85)

    An interesting situation occurred in the NLCS game of  Thursday  10/10
    when Ozzie Smith was on first base  with  one  out.  Andujar  was  the
    batter  and  was trying to sacrifice Smith over to second base when he
    bunted a pop-up to the Dodger pitcher, Hersheiser,  who  intentionally
    allowed  the  bunt  to  drop  (he could have caught the ball) and then
    threw the ball to second to start a successful  inning  ending  double
    play.  The  situation  did  not  call for the infield fly rule because
    nobody was on second base.  My question is the following:  The infield
    fly  rule was created to disallow double plays caused by intentionally
    dropped pop flies.  The rule states that baserunners must be on  first
    _and_  second  base  with  less  than  two outs for the rule to apply.
    Presumably, the reason that the IF rule does not apply with only first
    base occupied is that the batter should be able to  reach  first  base
    before a pop fly ball is caught, thus eliminating the possibility of a
    double play.  The previously described NLCS situation did not seem  to
    fall  into  this  category  as  the  arc  of  the  pop bunt was not of
    sufficient height to permit Andujar to reach first base.  I guess what
    I'm  talking  about  is  it  appears that the baseball rules committee
    should expand the scope of the  infield  fly  rule  to  cover  special
    situations  with  only  a  baserunner at first and less than two outs.
    For example, consider the possibility that an infielder  intentionally
    drops a line drive for an error in order to get a double play.  Should
    the IF rule be expanded to cover special situations  with  only  first
    base occupied, when in the _judgement_ of the umpire the batter had no
    chance to reach first base (for a fielder's choice) when a fly ball is
    intentionally dropped or allowed to hit the ground first.  What do all
    you basenetters think about this?

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (10/20/85)

>     My question is the following:  The infield
>     fly  rule was created to disallow double plays caused by intentionally
>     dropped pop flies.

Not quite.  The rule was created to prevent double plays gotten by trickery,
by someone freezing the runners by pretending to catch a ball, and then letting
it drop and forcing them out.  The idea is to prevent a situation where the
baserunners don't have any "right" thing to do.  If there is only a man on
first, the right thing for him to do on a pop-up is stay there, because to
run guarantees a double play.  With men on first and second and less than two
out, both runners would have to try to out-guess the fielder: if the fielder
lets it drop, then the right thing to do is run, but if he catches it, the
right thing to do is stay put.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

cpf@lasspvax.UUCP (Courtenay Footman) (10/20/85)

The original article wondered if there should be a rule about deliberately
dropped fly balls to prevent double plays.  This is not the right question,
because there is such a rule!
6.05 "A batter is out when --"...
(l)  "An infielder intentionally drops a fair fly ball or line drive,
with first, first and second, first and third, or first, second and
third occupied before two are out.  The ball is dead and runner or
runners shall return to their original bases;

    "APPROVED RULING: In this situation, the batter is not out if the
infielder permits the ball to drop untouched to the ground, except
where the infield fly rule applies."

In any event, this rule would not apply to the play described in the
preceding article, because that was not a fair fly ball or line drive,
but a bunt.  The thought seems to be that a bungled bunt deserves
heavy punishment:

2.00 ... "An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line
drive or attempted bunt)" ...

Thus the rules for a deliberately dropped ball do exist, and are
sufficient.  An amusing note is that when 6.05.l was first written the
word infielder was left out, until a student at umpire school asked
"What would happen if an outfielder deliberately dropped the ball?"
The horrified instructor hurriedly contacted the rules committee.
--
Courtenay Footman		arpa:	cpf@lnsvax
Newman Lab. of Nuclear Studies	usenet (finally this will work):

cffres@uvaee.UUCP (Chuck Ferrara) (10/21/85)

The way I heard it was that Andujar was too lazy or stupid to run, because
he assumed the ball was going to be caught. He had an obvious attitude
problem in that 2nd game, which was more of a problem than the rules.

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (10/21/85)

>     An interesting situation occurred in the NLCS game of  Thursday  10/10
>     when Ozzie Smith was on first base  with  one  out.  Andujar  was  the
>     batter  and  was trying to sacrifice Smith over to second base when he
>     bunted a pop-up to the Dodger pitcher, Hersheiser,  who  intentionally
>     allowed  the  bunt  to  drop  (he could have caught the ball) and then
>     threw the ball to second to start a successful  inning  ending  double
>     play.
>     ...it  appears that the baseball rules committee
>     should expand the scope of the  infield  fly  rule  to  cover  special
>     situations  with  only  a  baserunner at first and less than two outs.

  I disagree. It requires a very smart play to allow a bunt or line drive
to fall. A pop fly, however, you have time to THINK about it. With the bunt
or line drive examples, you have to really be on your toes to get that
double play. And, you have to have good execution of the infield play in order
to get the batter out at first.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@NCAR  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY

rhoads@oasys.UUCP (10/22/85)

>     For example, consider the possibility that an infielder  intentionally
>     drops a line drive for an error in order to get a double play.  Should
>     the IF rule be expanded to cover special situations  with  only  first
>     base occupied, when in the _judgement_ of the umpire the batter had no
>     chance to reach first base (for a fielder's choice) when a fly ball is
>     intentionally dropped or allowed to hit the ground first.  What do all
>     you basenetters think about this?

The key word here is _judgement_.  Any IF rule has to be a non-judgement
rule because otherwise the baserunner and the umpire have to have the same
judgement. The beauty of the IF rule is that it does protect the runners,
hence if they go it's their own problem, whereas with a judgement call,
he has to decide whether or not the ump will judge that the batter could
make first.  I think you have a good idea though.

--

Rhoads Hollowell    {hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires![oasys!]rhoads

"I knew I shoulda made dat left turn at Alburqurque!!"
					--B. Bunny

pete@umcp-cs.UUCP (Pete Cottrell) (10/23/85)

In article <1808@hao.UUCP> woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:

>>     An interesting situation occurred in the NLCS game of  Thursday  10/10
>>     when Ozzie Smith was on first base  with  one  out.  Andujar  was  the
>>     batter  and  was trying to sacrifice Smith over to second base when he
>>     bunted a pop-up to the Dodger pitcher, Hersheiser,  who  intentionally
>>     allowed  the  bunt  to  drop  (he could have caught the ball) and then
>>     threw the ball to second to start a successful  inning  ending  double
>>     play.
>>     ...it  appears that the baseball rules committee
>>     should expand the scope of the  infield  fly  rule  to  cover  special
>>     situations  with  only  a  baserunner at first and less than two outs.
>
>  I disagree. It requires a very smart play to allow a bunt or line drive
>to fall. A pop fly, however, you have time to THINK about it. With the bunt
>or line drive examples, you have to really be on your toes to get that
>double play. And, you have to have good execution of the infield play in order
>to get the batter out at first.

Hmmmm. During last night's game (a KC win, 6-1, 3rd game) they had another
'You make the Call' segment. In it, with a runner on first, Eddie Murray
intentionally let a ball drop out of his glove on an infield popout in
order to try and get a double play. The ruling was that a fielder may not
intentionally drop a ball in an attempt to do this, so the runner stayed
at first and the batter was ruled out. The only difference I see between
the 2 situations is that Murray actually touched the ball and let it
bounce out. I assume this makes all the difference in the world; the only
other conclusion is that the umpires are inconsistent, which is of course
far too outlandish a possibilty ;-)
--
Call-Me:   Pete Cottrell, Univ. of Md. Comp. Sci. Dept.
UUCP:	   {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!pete

In article <1953@umcp-cs.UUCP> pete@maryland.UUCP (Pete Cottrell) writes:
>Hmmmm. During last night's game (a KC win, 6-1, 3rd game) they had another
>'You make the Call' segment. In it, with a runner on first, Eddie Murray
>intentionally let a ball drop out of his glove on an infield popout in
>order to try and get a double play. The ruling was that a fielder may not
>intentionally drop a ball in an attempt to do this, so the runner stayed
>at first and the batter was ruled out. The only difference I see between
>the 2 situations is that Murray actually touched the ball and let it
>bounce out. I assume this makes all the difference in the world; the only
>other conclusion is that the umpires are inconsistent, which is of course
>far too outlandish a possibilty ;-)

No, the difference is that in one play the batter was bunting, and in the
other, he was hitting away.  This distinction is made at least one other place
in the rules, since a foul bunt with two strikes on the batter is strike
three.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka