[net.sport.baseball] which fat lady

jay@npois.UUCP (Anton Winteroak) (10/28/85)

It's over. KC won it. I'm not looking for an excuse, because I'm not a
Cardinal fan, but it seems like there's got to be an explanation of why
the 101-61 Cardinals lost 4 of the last 5 to the Royals. Is it that the
Royals had a great pitching staff that didn't completely gell until
so late in the season so they showed only so-so to good stats? Could
Coleman have meant that much to the St. Loius. Just a statistical
anomally?

Well, what ever the reason, it's over, and now its awards and trades time.

dcm@busch.UUCP (Craig Miller) (10/29/85)

In article <444@npois.UUCP> jay@npois.UUCP (Anton Winteroak) writes:

>It's over. KC won it. I'm not looking for an excuse, because I'm not a
>Cardinal fan, but it seems like there's got to be an explanation of why
>the 101-61 Cardinals lost 4 of the last 5 to the Royals. Is it that the
>Royals had a great pitching staff that didn't completely gell until
>so late in the season so they showed only so-so to good stats? Could
>Coleman have meant that much to the St. Loius. Just a statistical
>anomally?
>
>Well, what ever the reason, it's over, and now its awards and trades time.

(a short note from a depressed Cardinal fan...)

I'm not actually sure what caused them to fall the way they did.  But
here are a few ideas:

	(1)	K.C. just kept fighting back, and would never get down
		no matter what the odds were of them pulling it off.
		Plus the underdog syndrome...

	(2)	either (a) the Cardinals offense died, or (b) the
		Royals pitching blew them away, or (c) all of the
		above. (didn't the Cards score something like 6
		runs in the last 5 games: 6-1 KC, 3-1 Stl, 6-1 KC,
		2-1 KC, 11-0 KC?  not too awesome...)  Anyway, there
		pitching was damn good.  Saberhagen was awesome.

	(3)	in all seriousness, I thought StL had the series
		wrapped up in game 6.  *But* (a) they had a call
		go obviously against them, (b) they had Porter behind
		the plate, and (c) refer to ideas #1 and #2.

These are my gut feelings.  I don't feel Denkinger caused them to lose.
I have a hard time believing that an ump could lose a game for anyone.
If they had been playing the kind of ball that they were playing before
the playoffs, we'd *probably* be talking about them winning it.  But they
picked a rotten time to go into a slump.  If the call in game 6 had gone
for the Cardinals, they might have pulled it off then.  Oh well.

Anyone want to trade for a very emotional pitcher and an incompetent
catcher?  We'll take a bat boy or two for them.  :-)

		Craig

p.s.	anyone care to donate a fan to the Royals to replace the
	one Tudor broke.  :-)
--
	Craig Miller
	{*}!ihnp4!we53!busch!dcm

- Since I'm a consultant here and not an Anheuser-Busch employee, my
  views (or lack of) are strictly my own.