[net.sport.baseball] World Series Begins

meehan@ihlpg.UUCP (Meehan) (10/17/85)

 YAAHHHOOOO  STATE OF MISSOURI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets's Go CARDINALS!

Does anybody know when the last World Series was where the
two teams were from the same state? The Tribune said that
the last time two Missouri teams played was in 1944 when the
Cardinals played the Browns. I'm just curious if this has
happened since then.

				Patrick Meehan
				(transplated Showmeian)
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Naperville IL

mlt@mb2c.UUCP (Mark L. Tompkins) (10/18/85)

> Does anybody know when the last World Series was where the
> two teams were from the same state?

I believe it was 1974, when the Oakland A's defeated the Dodgers.  The first
time this ever happened was 1904 ( I think ) when the Cubbies and Sox both
made the Series, then only in its second year.

cjsgro@watrose.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) (10/18/85)

In article <335@ltuxa.UUCP> jmh@ltuxa.UUCP (64lt503310-Jon M. Hanrath) writes:

>After watching the 7th game in Toronto I was very surprised to hear
>that therer were only about 35,000 at the game, it wasn't a sellout.
>I didn't realize that this ever happened.  I guess I'm a bit disappointed.

There is one and only one reason for the lack of a sellout:  the unreasonable
ticket situation.  The only tickets available were bleacher seats, which are
very difficult to get a good view out of.  Even still, the prices for these
seats were exorbitant:  $19 per ticket for what are usually $4 seats.  It is
unreasonable to expect people to shell out bucks like that for unacceptable
seats such as those they were offering.  For the World Series, it was even
worse.  I shelled out $55 for a pair of those aforementioned bleacher seats
(list price, straight from the official ticket distributor) ( don't ask me
why I spent the money for the World Series and not the LCS ).  To me, it
seems like this is simply a case of lack of consideration for the people
that have been supporting your team throughout the year (although all of
the ticket guidelines came from the Commissioner's office, so I'm not
blaming the Jays).

By the way, they claimed that the 'good' tickets went for "official league
commitments".  Can anyone explain what this *really* means???

money
--
Carlo Sgro
...![ihnp4||decvax||allegra||clyde||utzoo]!watmath!watrose!cjsgro

"ihnp4 Express:  Overnight to the USA or you don't pay!"

mathnews@watdcsu.UUCP (mathNEWS) (10/18/85)

Well, my congratulations to the Cards and the Royals, and I hope their
fans enjoy the next two weeks.  I have one question, though...

WHERE'S MISSOURI? :-)

(Blue Jay fans' revenge...)
                                                             dwarf

--
"May your Coke always be Classic."

mathNEWS--the math student newspaper at the University of Waterloo

{allegra|clyde|linus|ihnp4|decvax}!watmath!watdcsu!mathnews          UUCP
mathnews%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet                                      CSNET
mathnews@watdcsu                                                     NETNORTH

credmond@watmath.UUCP (Chris Redmond) (10/19/85)

>After watching the 7th game in Toronto I was very surprised to hear
>that therer were only about 35,000 at the game, it wasn't a sellout.
>I didn't realize that this ever happened.  I guess I'm a bit disappointed.

There was a lot of confusion and unhappiness about ticket sales -- originally
only the far outfield bleacher seats were to be for sale locally, and
priced at $19 (during the regular season, $2 to $4).  As anyone who has
seen Exhibition Stadium knows, most of those seats are great for football,
lousy for baseball (unless you LIKE getting a crick in your neck).  The
entire reserved-seat section of the stadium was "for league commitments",
i.e. sponsors and other teams. Later, when some of those seats proved to be
available after all, the publicity was feeble -- and the real fans had
alerady made their plans.   Also, there was the serious mistake of scheduling
three of the four Toronto games at night.  October days in Toronto tend to
be sunny and pleasant, temperatures in the 60's, but after dark it can get
cold, and fans probably decided it was warmer in front of the TV set.
Would have been smarter to play daytimes in Toronto and night-times in
Los Angeles.

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (10/19/85)

In article <335@ltuxa.UUCP> jmh@ltuxa.UUCP (64lt503310-Jon M. Hanrath) writes:
>After watching the 7th game in Toronto I was very surprised to hear
>that therer were only about 35,000 at the game, it wasn't a sellout.
>I didn't realize that this ever happened.  I guess I'm a bit disappointed.

Did you get a look at the aerial view of that stadium?  It seemed like
25% of the seats were *really bad*.  Right field bleachers couldn't be
a fun place to watch a baseball game.

--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development

gersh@dartvax.UUCP (Jeff A. Gershengorn) (10/20/85)

In article <1365@ihlpg.UUCP> meehan@ihlpg.UUCP (Meehan) writes:
>Does anybody know when the last World Series was where the
>two teams were from the same state? The Tribune said that
>the last time two Missouri teams played was in 1944 when the
>Cardinals played the Browns. I'm just curious if this has
>happened since then.
>
>				Patrick Meehan

    Yes. Here's when:

1947    Brooklyn vs. New York
1949    Brooklyn vs. New York
1951    New York vs. New York
1952    Brooklyn vs. New York
1953    Brooklyn vs. New York
1955    Brooklyn vs. New York
1956    Brooklyn vs. New York
1974    Los Angeles vs. Oakland

                        Cards in 5.
                                      -Jeff
"The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
 Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
                                                -P. Floyd

Jeff Gershengorn '88        ihnp4!dartvax!gersh           (603) 643-7103
Hinman Box 1772     Dartmouth College       Hanover, New Hampshire 03755
Real World:   5 Fairway Drive    San Rafael, CA 94901

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (10/21/85)

Last time the World Series was in "in state" affair, wasn't it
1974 with Oakland vs LA?
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

I'll keep an eye on the old man, he seems to have a knack for getting
himself into trouble!

-who said it, what story?

rhoads@oasys.UUCP (10/22/85)

> Does anybody know when the last World Series was where the
> two teams were from the same state? The Tribune said that
> the last time two Missouri teams played was in 1944 when the
> Cardinals played the Browns. I'm just curious if this has
> happened since then.

I don't have my almanac handy, but haven't there been a few "subway
series'" since then.  I mean wasn't '54 the NY Giants and the Brooklyn
Dodgers or am I way off base?  I do recall that Dusty Rhodes was 4 for 6
with 2 HR's as a pinch hitter in that series, so it was the Giants...

--

Rhoads Hollowell    {hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires![oasys!]rhoads

"I knew I shoulda made dat left turn at Alburqurque!!"
					--B. Bunny

jwm00@duts.UUCP (John McKenna) (10/24/85)

> > Does anybody know when the last World Series was where the
> > two teams were from the same state? The Tribune said that
> > the last time two Missouri teams played was in 1944 when the
> > Cardinals played the Browns. I'm just curious if this has
> > happened since then.
> >

> I don't have my almanac handy, but haven't there been a few "subway
> series'" since then.  I mean wasn't '54 the NY Giants and the Brooklyn
> Dodgers or am I way off base?  I do recall that Dusty Rhodes was 4 for 6
> with 2 HR's as a pinch hitter in that series, so it was the Giants...
>
> --
>
> Rhoads Hollowell    {hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires![oasys!]rhoads
>
> "I knew I shoulda made dat left turn at Alburqurque!!"
> 					--B. Bunny

The 1954 World Series featured the NY Giants and the Clevleand Indians.
The Indians were the winningest team in the majors with 111 victories in
a 154 game season.  When it came to series time it was a different story
for the Indians.  Mays had returned to the Giants after two years in the
Army.  In game 1 with the score 2-2 and two men on Vic Wertz hit a drive
into deepest center.  Mays miraculously chased the 460' drive down and
after making the over the shoulder catch whirled and fired a strike back
to the infield that prevented the runners from moving up.  Rhodes later
hit a three run pinch-hit homer in the tenth and the Giants never looked
back taking the flag in 4 straight.

In '51 the Giants and Dodgers had to play a three game playoff to determine
the National League champion with the Giants winning on Bobby Thompson's
three run homer in the bottom of the ninth inning of game 3.  Ralph Branca
pitched to Thompson with first base open.  This should sound familiar to
Dodger fans after Lasorda's antics in game 6 this year however the decision
in '51 is understandable considering a hot hitting rookie named Willie Mays
was batting behind Thompson.

jwm00@duts.UUCP (John McKenna) (10/30/85)

> >> Does anybody know when the last World Series was where the
> >> two teams were from the same state?
>  * Written  8:45 am  Oct 18, 1985 by mlt@mb2c.UUCP in uiucdcsb:net.sport.baseball */
> >I believe it was 1974, when the Oakland A's defeated the Dodgers.  The first
> >time this ever happened was 1904 ( I think ) when the Cubbies and Sox both
> >made the Series, then only in its second year.
>
> I don't think there was a 1904 World Series because the NL was mad at the
> AL for winning the first one.
>
> 				Stephen L. Borodkin
>
>         		USENET:	...!{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!borodkin
>         		CSNET:	borodkin%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
>         		ARPA:	borodkin@uiuc.arpa

There was no 1904 World Series due to the personal animosity between the
NL champion Giants manager John McGraw and American League president
Ban Johnson.  Interestingly enough the initial reason cited for a lack of
play came from Giants president John T. Brush when he declared the
American League an inferior league.  This may have been the first
salvo fired in the decades long feud between the two league's adherents.

An unfortunate byproduct of McGraw's feud was that the AL champion Boston
Pilgrims #1 starter Cy Young and the Giants ace Christy Mathewson did not
face one another.

The Cubs and the White Sox played in the '06 Series. ( AL in 6).

Trivia question(easy) : Which major league pitcher had a win total of
greater than 500 and yet never won the coveted Cy Young award?

Answer : Cy Young. See I told you it was easy.

borodkin@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/03/85)