[net.sport.baseball] The Cards and Andujar

jjc@houxl.UUCP (J.CARBONARO) (11/13/85)

> >    Andujar showed more class than the minor league umpires.

<I can't believe someone posted this.
<1) In game 6, the call at first probably was wrong, but to say that it
<cost the Cards the GAME, let alone the series is inaccurate.  The Royals
<still got two hits after the call, and scored with only one out.  Not only
<that, but one doesn't remember the close ball and strike calls that went
<against Leibrandt early in the game.  Conclusion: The umps call 90% of
<calls correctly, and they do not lose ball games for clubs.
<
<2) The two ball-and-strike calls on Andujar were inside, and at least from
<the angle given in the replays, weren't close.  I felt sorry that Herzog
<had to get thrown out for protecting Andujar, but Andujar was just a
<disgrace.  I thought the rest of the team (Smith, Pendleton) showed some
<class by holding Andujar back and notice that not one of them complained
<to the umps.
<
<3) Umps especially don't lose Series for teams that bat .185.
<
<I was surprised that the commish could only fine Andujar $500.  I'm
<sure it would have been more if possible.
<
<Jon Hanrath
<ihnp4!ltuxa!jmh

I agree with Jon - right down the line.  As good as the Cards are, face
it, they S--KED in the Series (.185 is pathetic).  Andujar is a complete
a--hole.  Those two pitches weren't even close.  He does his team a total
dis-service with his antics.  I just read an unusually biased article in
SI which really put down the Cards.  I thought about it and couldn't really
figure out who (BESIDES Andujar and Herzog less so) was so bad.  It's
too bad for the rest of the team that many people will remember all of
them for Andujar's bullsh-t.

bsc@wuphys.UUCP (Bryan Coughlan) (11/15/85)

> From: jjc@houxl.UUCP (J.CARBONARO)
>
> I agree with Jon - right down the line.  As good as the Cards are, face
> it, they S--KED in the Series (.185 is pathetic).

   Not quite.  Think about it this way - Despite
batting .185 in the series, *they came within three
outs of winning it* !  Only in batting did they "S__K" !

(Actually, they came within two outs of winning it !
:-)

( I know, if they had won the 6th game, they would have
batted a massive .190 or so, but that still would be a
Series record low !!)

--

Bryan S. Coughlan            ( Yes, that's right. My first
ihnp4!wuphys!bsc 		two initials are B.S. ! )

bob@multivu.UUCP (Bob Hutson) (11/16/85)

While I have nothing good to say about Andujar, I must point out that
Herzog was simply doing his job (manager/martyr). He was, in fact,
"ejecting" himself to save his pitcher. It worked, in that it allowed
Juaquin one more pitch before ejection.

Andujar screwed up, but back off on Herzog.
--

			~ bob

	Bob Hutson
	{ucbvax,decwrl}!dual!vecpyr!altos86!multivu!bob
	{ucbvax,decwrl}!dual!vecpyr!altos86!bob