[net.sport.baseball] Dodgers screw Mariners, Giants

jimb@ISM780B.UUCP (12/12/85)

[...and Line-Eater scoops it up...]

Steve Yeager to Seattle for Ed VandeBerg?

Candy Maldonado for Alex Trevino?

Why are clubs so eager to trade with Al Campanis?  How does he do it without
being armed?

Minor trades, maybe.  One-sided, definitely.

A pox on Dodger Blue.

Sigh.

      -- from the bewildered musings of Jim Brunet

                  {ihnp4, decvax}!cca!ima!jimb  (most reliable)

                  ucbvax!ucla-cs!ism780!jimb

                  ihnp4!vortex!ism780!jimb

                  or   jimb at ima/*cca-unix.arpa
                                   ^
                                   this asterisk is necessary!

jeff@utastro.UUCP (Jeff Brown the Scumbag) (12/14/85)

In article <28000008@ISM780B.UUCP>, jimb@ISM780B.UUCP writes:

> Steve Yeager to Seattle for Ed VandeBerg?

Yes, this outraged me when I read about it too.  But you
have to remember that the Seattle ownership combines the
irrationality of Steinbrenner with the cheapness of Old
Man Griffith.  Vandy is young and good (as a reliever!
as a starter he's a disaster) and after being in the bigs
[assuming the Mariners count as such] 4 years or so can
demand more than the peanuts Argyros wants to part with.

In their insanity they had a grain of reason: the M's have
never had a catcher worthy of squat in their history; they
have a lot of good young pitchers who would really be
helped by a smart veteran backstop.  Unfortunately, getting
an ancient, over-the-hill Yeager who will probably spend
two-thirds of the season on the DL is NOT going to fix
their troubles.  Maybe they're fantasizing that Steve will
make a comeback like Gorman Thomas did.  More likely they're
just plain stupid.

If the front office would only get its [--] together, the
M's could gel into a decent team.  And if pigs had wings.....

In short, LA didn't screw Seattle, they just helped them
screw themselves.

Jeff Brown the Scumbag
                {allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!jeff
                jeff@astro.UTEXAS.EDU
Astronomy Department, U. of Texas, Austin

"There are two hopelessly futile things a man can do on this
Earth: be a Mariners fan and fall in love with a lesbian...."

rkp@druhi.UUCP (Russell Pierce) (12/17/85)

>Steve Yeager to Seattle for Ed VandeBerg?

Yeager is pretty washed up, so Vandeberg may be a good deal for
LA.  I've never really heard of him before.

>Candy Maldonado for Alex Trevino?

I would take Candy over Alex any day of the week.  I wish the
Braves could get Maldonado.

>Why are clubs so eager to trade with Al Campanis?  How does he do it without
>being armed?

Just dumb (in Yeager's case) or smart (in Maldonado's case),
depending on how  you look at it.  Trading is such a hit-and-miss
prospect anyway.  You never know what will happen.

--

Russell Pierce  	1200 W. 120th Ave.      	...!druhi!rkp
AT&T    		Denver, CO 80234-2795		(303) 538-2023

          "Watching and waiting, for a friend to play with.
                   Why have I been alone so long?"