[net.sport.baseball] Yankee trades

billr@ISM780B.UUCP (12/19/85)

        Have the Yankees done it again? I mean giving up players
(particularly pitchers) who have done a good job for them in
return for name pitchers who have already had their best years.
I'm thinking Andy Messersmith, Ken Holtzman, Don Gullet and to a
lesser extent Jim (Catfish) Hunter. Maybe they'll trade for John
(Blue Moon) Odom - I hear he's available.

        I was sad to see them lose Ron Davis and now Joe Cowley
is gone. I also thought Ron Hassey did a great job filling in for
Butch Wynegar this year and now they are trying to get Carlton
Fisk. Gag me - sure Fisk had a good year, but those of us who can
remember Thurman Munson are having convulsions. Admittedly Hassey
is no youngster, but Fisk??

        So I'll forgive them (again) if Britt Burns turns out to
be better than last year's star pitching acquisition from the
Padres who punched out Billy Martin, but I had hoped for more
from Lou Piniella. At least he brought Roy White in as first base
and batting coach. So what is the story on Burns??

	Bill

UUCP: cca!ima!ism780b!billr
ARPA: cca!isib!rizzi

mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) (12/28/85)

In article <28000009@ISM780B.UUCP> billr@ISM780B.UUCP writes:

>        I was sad to see them lose Ron Davis and now Joe Cowley
>is gone. I also thought Ron Hassey did a great job filling in for
>Butch Wynegar this year and now they are trying to get Carlton
>Fisk. Gag me - sure Fisk had a good year, but those of us who can
>remember Thurman Munson are having convulsions. Admittedly Hassey
>is no youngster, but Fisk??

The majority of Fisk's years have been rather good ones, and he is
a winner.  I realize that there is some amount of rivalry between
Yankee fans and Red Sox fans, but, in my opinion, Fisk is a great
guy to have on any team.

>        So I'll forgive them (again) if Britt Burns turns out to
>be better than last year's star pitching acquisition from the
>Padres who punched out Billy Martin, but I had hoped for more
>from Lou Piniella. At least he brought Roy White in as first base
>and batting coach. So what is the story on Burns??

Britt Burns has always been a real good pitcher, but he has had some
deep personal traumas that seem to have affected his performance.  His
father died in the middle of the season a couple of seasons back, and
they were very close.  A fresh start in the big apple should do him
some good... he should turn out to be another Steve Trout for the
the Yanks.

I don't know why I am defending the White Sox, because I do not like
them very much (I have alway been a CUBS fan!!!!!!!).  However, the
Sox do have a few quality men (and ballplayers): Seaver, Fisk, Baines...

/mykes

imd@ihlpl.UUCP (Ira M. Dworkin ) (01/01/86)

> In article <28000009@ISM780B.UUCP> billr@ISM780B.UUCP writes:
> >
> >        I was sad to see them lose Ron Davis and now Joe Cowley
> >is gone. I also thought Ron Hassey did a great job filling in for
> >Butch Wynegar this year and now they are trying to get Carlton
> >Fisk. Gag me - sure Fisk had a good year, but those of us who can
> >remember Thurman Munson are having convulsions. Admittedly Hassey
> >is no youngster, but Fisk??
> >

> The majority of Fisk's years have been rather good ones, and he is
> a winner.  I realize that there is some amount of rivalry between
... etc. etc. etc. ...

Face it...the Yankees (i.e. #$!% Steinbrenner) have a tendency to make
some DUMB trades...they'll make moves in haste, giving away potential
achievers for proven mediocre players.  THEY SHOULD THINK ABOUT
LONG TERM NEEDS!

They got rid of Mike Heath and got Cerone after Munson's death, traded
Davis since they had (yech) Gossage, put Righetti in the bullpen when
what they really needed was another solid starter,....

If they trade Mattingly, then I'll really lose hope (the way he's goin',
he'll challenge many records)...

Ira Dworkin
ihnp4!ihlpl!imd