[net.sport.baseball] Red Sox

djvh@drutx.UUCP (VanHandelDJ) (01/23/86)

> In article <95000002@haddock.UUCP> billm@haddock.UUCP writes:
>> The Red Sox idea of offense is two walks, an error, and a poke over
>> the Green Monster.  You call that hitting (Wade Boggs the exception) ?
>> You're certainly correct if you say that it counts as 4 runs, but it'll be
>> hard to find the Green Monster anywhere but good ol' venerable Fenway Park
>> in Beantown.
>>
>> It's fun for Red Sox fans, but a lot of years almost guarantees
>> 4th or 5th place finishes in the American League East.
>
> In the words of Earl Weaver, "Pitching, defense, and three run homers."
> (A notably successful strategy.)  The Red Sox offense hasn't been the
> problem; the pitching has.

	Regardless of the problem, the Red Sox HAVE been a good team
over the years.  Unless they've gone bad in the last few years, I'm
pretty sure that they were the only team in the Majors to have a winning
record every year since the Mid-1960's.

						Dave Van Handel

In article <345@drutx.UUCP> djvh@drutx.UUCP (VanHandelDJ) writes:
>	Regardless of the problem, the Red Sox HAVE been a good team
>over the years.  Unless they've gone bad in the last few years, I'm
>pretty sure that they were the only team in the Majors to have a winning
>record every year since the Mid-1960's.

I don't think so.  I believe the Orioles have the longest current string
of seasons over .500, at about 20.

You are correct that Boston has had a good team.  I lived in Boston for
most of the last 20 years.  As a Cubs fan, I found it a bit hard to feel
much sympathy when people complained about the Red Sox not making the
Series.  They've been in it twice in the last 20 years; that's above
average.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka