[net.sport.baseball] least discussed team and Detroit

tim@fisher.UUCP (Tim Snyder) (02/19/86)

David Nichols writes:
> the most interesting Giants news I've heard is that they're going to
> try to move Brenly to first.  They have a young catcher that they
> got from Detroit that they think highly of (Melvin) and they want to
> let him catch a lot.  Brenly may have to platoon with Driessen and
>
> My guess at the Pirates opening day lineup (against Gooden probably;
> the Mets open the season here):
> 	Steve Kemp	lf	(or RJ Reynolds. I'd bat RJ first or second.)
> 	Jason Thompson	1b	(or Sid Bream)
>
> I don't really know what Leyland will do about the #2 and 3 spots.  Ray

Gosh, I hate to tell you this, but, being a long-time Tiger fan, Bob
Melvin has little chance of meeting your (their) expectations.  It
seems, based, of course, on the last couple of years, which were his first,
that he is particularly poor both offensively and defensively.  I used
to dread it when he was in the games, and suspect you will too when
he plays for Pena.

How is this catcher the Pirates sent to Detroit in the same deal?

There are many Tigers (former) in your lineup, including Leyland.
I always felt Kemp was highly overrated and Thompson somewhat so.

BUT: Some good news:
Leyland should turn out to be an excellent manager.  He always had
excellent minor league records and the ability to develop players,
too.

Juan Berenguer MAY become an excellent pitcher.  He throws extremely
hard (on the order of Jack Morris), but has had equally extreme
control problems throughout his career.  There were indications
during the second half of the season that he had resolved some of these
problems, however, and it would not surprise me if he wins 15 or so!
The Tigers simply didn't have room for him in their rotation, so he
was more valuable as trade bait, hence the trade.

All conjecture/opinion...

				 Go, D!
				  Tim Snyder