[net.sport.baseball] least discussed team

jay@npois.UUCP (Anton Winteroak) (02/13/86)

	Which team is the least discussed major league baseball team
on net.sport.baseball? My guess is the Texas Rangers, with the
San Francisco Giants taking the NL honors.  Does anybody out there
follow either of these teams. What kind of trades have they made,
what stars are they having trouble signing. Are they fixing their
big weaknesses?

jon@altos86.UUCP (Jonathan Stern) (02/14/86)

>	Which team is the least discussed major league baseball team
>on net.sport.baseball? My guess is the Texas Rangers, with the
>San Francisco Giants taking the NL honors.  Does anybody out there
>follow either of these teams. What kind of trades have they made,
>what stars are they having trouble signing. Are they fixing their
>big weaknesses?

I live in the bay area.  Two things happen if you follow the Giants.
You get bored.  You get cold.  I follow the Padres.  At least I don't
get cold.  Baseball shouldn't suspend players, it should make them play
in Candlestick.  The Giants have changed their front office and made
losts of trades.  They will still be bad.  No one will care.

	Jonathan Stern		ucbvax!dual!vecpyr!altos86!jon

nichols@h.cs.cmu.edu (David Nichols) (02/17/86)

In article <12@npois.UUCP> jay@npois.UUCP (Anton Winteroak) writes:
>	Which team is the least discussed major league baseball team
>on net.sport.baseball? My guess is the Texas Rangers, with the
>San Francisco Giants taking the NL honors.

I would guess the Astros for the NL.  Aside from the stadium problems,
the most interesting Giants news I've heard is that they're going to
try to move Brenly to first.  They have a young catcher that they
got from Detroit that they think highly of (Melvin) and they want to
let him catch a lot.  Brenly may have to platoon with Driessen and
both of them may sit if the Giants rush up Will Clark as fast as
they hope to.

Of course, being in Pittsburgh, my main team is the Pirates.  They have
a lot of young players that Joe Brown got while being the interim GM.
The only move I see Syd Thrift (what a great name) making is possibly
trading Rhoden during spring training.  Rhoden wants out, and Thrift
has promised to try to accommodate him.  I heard a rumor of Pena and
Rhoden to the Braves for Virgil and two top prospects, but it doesn't
make a lot of sense to me.  The Pirates have new or good players in
every position right now.  They don't need more AAA guys that are ready
to come up this year.  They need to sit back and see which of the
current guys is going to make it.  Maybe some good AA prospects that
will be ready in two years would be good.

My guess at the Pirates opening day lineup (against Gooden probably;
the Mets open the season here):
	Joe Orsulak	cf
	Johnny Ray	2b
	Steve Kemp	lf	(or RJ Reynolds. I'd bat RJ first or second.)
	Mike Brown	rf
	Jason Thompson	1b	(or Sid Bream)
	Tony Pena	 c
	Denny Gonzales	3b
	Sammy Khalifa	ss
	Larry McWilliams p	(or Rhoden if he's not traded, or just about
				 anyone else)

I don't really know what Leyland will do about the #2 and 3 spots.  Ray
has batted third before.  The Bucs would love to see Kemp come back
from his shoulder problem, especially since they're paying him $1M/yr.
Orsulak, Brown, Gonzales, and Khalifa are all young players.  Reynolds
and Bream are waiting in the wings for their chance.  The pitching
staff has people like DeLeon, Bielecki, Tunnell, and Winn trying to
make it, with Reuschel, McWilliams, Robinson and Guante being fairly
solid.  I think we need pitching help more than anything.

It should be fun to watch the Bucs this year.  I don't think they'll be
in last place again, and there are a lot of young players to watch.
--
ARPA: David.Nichols@h.cs.cmu.edu
UUCP: {seismo,decvax,allegra}!rochester!cmu-cs-pt!cmu-cs-h!nichols

moore1@ihuxi.UUCP (Moore) (02/18/86)

> 	Which team is the least discussed major league baseball team
> on net.sport.baseball? My guess is the Texas Rangers, with the
> San Francisco Giants taking the NL honors.  Does anybody out there
> follow either of these teams. What kind of trades have they made,
> what stars are they having trouble signing. Are they fixing their
> big weaknesses?

This is the first time I've tuned into this net...usually following
football more closely.  I would have to put my two cents in for the
Seattle Mariners as the least discussed team.  Any comments?

glf@ihlpl.UUCP (Greg Fyksen ) (02/18/86)

> 	Which team is the least discussed major league baseball team
> on net.sport.baseball? My guess is the Texas Rangers, with the
> San Francisco Giants taking the NL honors.  Does anybody out there
> follow either of these teams. What kind of trades have they made,
> what stars are they having trouble signing. Are they fixing their
> big weaknesses?

I'd like to register a vote for the Milwaukee Brewers as being the
least discussed team on the net.

I've heard that they have made some trades and released some veterans
but the Chicago papers don't print much about teams from other cities.

Does anybody out there have any info for a former beer town resident
thirsting for news about the one time (and one time only) great Brewers?

Spring training is here I guess it's time to renew my subscription to TSN!

jeff@utastro.UUCP (Jeff Brown the Scumbag) (02/21/86)

> > 	Which team is the least discussed major league baseball team
> > on net.sport.baseball? My guess is the Texas Rangers, with the
> > San Francisco Giants taking the NL honors....
>
> This is the first time I've tuned into this net...usually following
> football more closely.  I would have to put my two cents in for the
> Seattle Mariners as the least discussed team.  Any comments?

No, there is at least one Mariner fan on the net, Baal help us,
and I've been watching what little there is to watch about the
Mariners.  Phil Bradley won his arbitration case (.300, 26HR, 100 runs
last year) which is a sure-fire indicator he'll be traded in the
'86-'87 off season.  The only real question for this Texas-stranded
Seattle fan is whether NBC can add to its 7-year streak of not showing
the Mariners on TV.  The Rangers should keep Seattle out of the cellar
again; I agree with the original poster that Texas is the least-mentioned
AL team (and probably any major league team) on the net.

"I'm a Mariner fan.  Short of falling in love with a lesbian, there's
no more futile thing a man can do."

Jeff Brown the Scumbag
		{allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!jeff
		jeff@astro.UTEXAS.EDU
Astronomy Department, U. of Texas, Austin 78712

jimb@ism780 (02/22/86)

> This is the first time I've tuned into this net...usually following
> football more closely.

> /* Written  5:50 am  Feb 18, 1986 by moore1@inhuxi.UUCP

  Well, I'm a Cubs fan, moore old buddy, but I can tell you that I've
  never seen Ekblaw on *this* net.  Welcome from sport.foot.

  -- from the musings of Jim Brunet

     hplabs/hao/ico/ism780B
     ihnp4/ima/ism780B
     sdcsvax/sdcrdcf/ism780/ism780B

nielsen@hplabsc.UUCP (Walter Nielsen) (02/24/86)

> 	Which team is the least discussed major league baseball team
> on net.sport.baseball? My guess is the Texas Rangers, with the
> San Francisco Giants taking the NL honors.  Does anybody out there
> follow either of these teams. What kind of trades have they made,
> what stars are they having trouble signing. Are they fixing their
> big weaknesses?

I'm almost embarrased to associate myself in any way with the S.F. Giants
but I heard the the following -
  They've hired Willie Mays as a hitting (?) coach (Probably the only
  thing they've done right in years)

  They have a new manager Roger Craig who is set on teaching all their
  pitchers the split fingered fastball.

  If you believe their hype, they have a new first baseman (?) named
  Will Clark who is supposedly their answer to the lack of offensive
  production last year.

  They've decided to play in CandleStick Park inspite of their
  owner's much publicized announcement at the end of last season
  that 'This is the last year we play at the Stick'.

Also the only player they have remaining in their staff from the
Jack Clark trade (another one the all-time great trade blunders by
the Giants) - Jose Uribe.  They've traded away Dave LaPoint, argubly
their best pitcher to Detroit for Beleunger, gave away David Green
to Milwaukee and I can't remember who the fourth player they got was.

Frankly I gave up on this team, letting go of Jack Clark, Darrell Evans,
Joe Morgan, Reggie Smith and Frank Robinson was the last straw.  Previously
as bad as they were, they were at least interesting to watch.  I thought
they had a chance with Frank Robinson as the manager but ...

Walter Nielsen
ARPAnet: nielsen%hplabs@csnet-relay.ARPA
USEnet:  {ihnp4,sdcrdcf,ucbvax}!hplabs!hplabsc!nielsen

"The only team they have in Northern California is the 49ers".