[net.sport.baseball] Orphaned Response

burton@fortune.UUCP (03/03/84)

#R:hp-pcd:-1480000300:fortune:32400007:000:425
fortune!burton    Mar  2 17:37:00 1984

Some cities who were slated to have an "El" paid extra to get a subway
instead.  Either way, BART's a subway line, and should the Giants ever
play the A's (I won't hold my breath for *that* ), it will be a subway
series.

  Philip Burton      101 Twin Dolphin Drive
  Fortune Systems    Redwood City, CA  94065	   (415) 595-8444 x 526
			- - -
{allegra  decvax!decwrl!amd70  cbosgd harpo hpda ihnp4 sri-unix}!fortune!burton

greg@zinfandel.UUCP (07/11/84)

#R:tesla:-38500:zinfandel:11300003:177600:134
zinfandel!greg    Jul  9 15:55:00 1984

Lucky?!   BOO!  HISS!

If the Cardinals had been lucky in the '82 Series,
they'd have won it in 5!!

Greg Boyd
zehntel!zinfandel!greg

abe@ism780.UUCP (07/14/84)

#R:tesla:-38500:ism780:20400014:000:400
ism780!abe    Jul 13 10:30:00 1984

Not only did St. Louis get lucky in '82 (Milwaukee came out making
it look like it was gonna be a laugher, but it somehow never happened),
they also had the phenomenal edge of a healthy Sutter vs. a disabled
Fingers.  Had Fingers played, there is no doubt what the outcome would
have been.  Power always beats out finesse in a World Series.  (And
I'm not even a Milwaukee fan!)

				-- Abe Ellenberg

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (09/08/84)

If my 'overcraft didn't 'ave an 'ole, it wouldn't be an 'oop.

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (09/08/84)

Well, it's September and the amazing ones are putting me to sleep.

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (09/16/84)

Urinating on the lawns after baseball games?

Don't these clods realize they should duck into the alley
to urinate? Some people have no class!!!

rodean@hpfclo.UUCP (rodean) (03/15/85)

/***** hpfclo:net.sport.base / cornell!corn /  7:09 pm  Mar  7, 1985*/
Did Ted Williams play baseball at all during his two hitches as a Marine
aviator?
/* ---------- */

It seems not. From a book I have it says "He [Williams] served a tour as
a Marine pilot in World War II and he was recalled in 1952 at the age of
thirty-three to fight in Korea." It does not mention anything about
playing ball while in the service.

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (05/02/85)

>YES!!!   Dump the DH!!!   Sport implies balance of offense and defense, with
>	 strategy playing an important part in the outcome.  The DH takes away
>	 from that.  Excitement is fine, but not when it is commonplace.
>	 (see the 1930 NL hitting averages)

Gee Whiz Dave, I can't imagine the excitement around your living room
when NBC shows a closeup of Tommy Lasorda deciding whether or not to
use a pinch hitter. Gosh Gee Golly... Its just to much...I need a
sedative...oh ..oh... oh

P.S. You had to go back to 1930 to find an example????

P.S.S If you don't think defense matters in the N.B.A, please explain
how the Nuggets went from a 500 ball club to division champions.
( I know you will say their defense is the worst in the league in points
scored against, but please consider the fact that they run, and run
and run giving more and more and more offensive chances to the other
team before sending flames.) They led the league in steals
nd takeaway/giveaway ratio.

               Roy

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (05/02/85)

Dave: or should I just say, defense only matters to teams that win
                                                     Roy

rodean@hpfclo.UUCP (rodean) (05/10/85)

/***** hpfclo:net.sport.base / decwrl!schneider / 12:21 pm  May 15, 1985*/

I left this off of my last comment.  I don't ever recall a
pitcher hitting 2 HRs in one inning, but can anyone name the
pitcher who hit two Grand Slams in one game?
Hints provided upon request.

		Daniel Schneider
		{decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vlnvax!schneider
/* ---------- */

I believe that Tony Cloninger did it against the Giants a long time
ago.

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (06/10/85)

>Here's a new topic I thought might be interesting. What would be the
>baseball game that you would most enjoy seeing? For example, here's mine:
>
>Mets vs. Cubs, Darling pitching for the Mets.
>Mets win 1-0. Cubs get 8 hits, have at least one baserunner in every inning.
>Mets get 1 hit. Winning run crosses in 7th when Backman beats out a bunt,
>steals second, goes to third on a 70-foot groundout by Wilson,
>and scores on a sacrifice fly by Hernandez.

Do all Met fans fantasize about beating the Cubs? I guess that's the
only way they can...
                                                roy

rodean@hpfclo.UUCP (rodean) (06/18/85)

> Through May 30, 1985, the all-time pitching brothers list looked like
> this:

> 	1. Gaylord and Jim Perry 	529-439
> 	2. Phil and Joe Niekro  	485-413
> 	3. Dad,John,and Walter Clarkson	383-232
> 	4. Christy and Henry Matthewson 373-232
> 	5. Lou and Pud Galvin		361-312
> 	6. Ken and Bob Forsch		238-212
> 	7. Jess and Virgil Barnes	214-208
> 	8. Dizzy and Paul Dean		200-117

> No other brothers are challenging these.

It is interesting to note how this ranking changes when using winning
percentages rather than mere games won. The Dean brothers go from last
to first.

	1. Dizzy and Paul Dean		200-117		63.1%
	2. Dad,John,and Walter Clarkson	383-232		62.3%
	3. Christy and Henry Matthewson 373-232		61.7%
	4. Gaylord and Jim Perry 	529-439		54.6%
	5. Phil and Joe Niekro  	485-413		54.0%
	6. Lou and Pud Galvin		361-312		53.6%
	7. Ken and Bob Forsch		238-212		52.9%
	8. Jess and Virgil Barnes	214-208		50.7%

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

bd@peora.UUCP (Bernie Dougan) (06/21/85)

> Do all Met fans fantasize about beating the Cubs? I guess that's the
> only way they can...
>                                                 roy

Yesterday's (6/20) 5-3 win by the Mets over the Cubs completed
a 4 game sweep.  Fantasy has turned to reality.

LET'S GO METS

--
     Bernie Dougan
     Perkin-Elmer Southern Development Center

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (07/12/85)

>Yesterday's (6/20) 5-3 win by the Mets over the Cubs completed
>a 4 game sweep.  Fantasy has turned to reality.

Reality, Bernie, is that the Mets beat the Cubs AAA farm team.

Roy

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (07/12/85)

>Why can't the National League hit this year?

I liked Dick Williams explation. 1985 is the year of the
free swinger.

Roy

rodean@hpfcla.UUCP (rodean) (07/30/85)

> From: hou2b!halle
> Re: All Star game substitutions
>                                     Also, none of the other eight
> starters can be removed (except due to injury) before the end of the
> third inning.

I've never heard of this particular rule. I like to see some real
evidence, although I don't recall anyone being removed before then.

>                There is something about bringing back a catcher, too.

Actually in the case of an injury, any player can re-enter the game to
replace an injured player. And you don't have to force an outfielder who
hasn't played to replace an injured third baseman either.

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (08/06/85)

>> From: hou2b!halle
>>                                     Also, none of the other eight
>> starters can be removed (except due to injury) before the end of the
>> third inning.

> From: hpfcla!rodean
>
> I've never heard of this particular rule. I like to see some real
> evidence, although I don't recall anyone being removed before then.

There is a minimum play time rule for all-star starters, though it
might be two, rather than three, innings...I'm not sure.

>>                There is something about bringing back a catcher, too.

> Actually in the case of an injury, any player can re-enter the game to
> replace an injured player. And you don't have to force an outfielder who
> hasn't played to replace an injured third baseman either.

 Incorrect.  In only one specific instance, injury to the last
 available catcher, may a player return to the all-star game.

					David Rubin
			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

rodean@hpfcla.UUCP (rodean) (08/12/85)

> I also have a question about rules and another about scoring (I guess).
> Can a switch hitter switch from right to left or vice-versa during an
> at bat? Could it be anytime, never or only if a pitching change is made?

You cannot switch sides after two strikes. However I don't know about
what effect a pitching change has on that rule.

>                                                       Now for the scoring
> question.  If a hitter has a hitting streak going and fails to get a hit
> in a tied game that is suspended due to rain, darkness, curfew or whatever,
> then a new game is started before the suspended one can be completed, is
> his hitting streak considered stopped?

My guess is that it is in limbo until the game is resumed and completed
and becomes an official game.

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

rodean@hpfcla.UUCP (rodean) (08/15/85)

>> Actually in the case of an injury, any player can re-enter the game to
>> replace an injured player. And you don't have to force an outfielder who
>> hasn't played to replace an injured third baseman either.

> Incorrect.  In only one specific instance, injury to the last
> available catcher, may a player return to the all-star game.

Well I'm probably wrong, but is Dwight Gooden going to play shortstop,
take a couple of hot shots from George Brett, Carleton Fisk, or Don
Mattingly, if an infielder is injured and he's the last player on the
bench, all the time risking HIS neck out there?

GET SERIOUS!

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (08/19/85)

>>> Actually in the case of an injury, any player can re-enter the game to
>>> replace an injured player. And you don't have to force an outfielder who
>>> hasn't played to replace an injured third baseman either.

>> Incorrect.  In only one specific instance, injury to the last
>> available catcher, may a player return to the all-star game.

> Well I'm probably wrong, but is Dwight Gooden going to play shortstop,
> take a couple of hot shots from George Brett, Carleton Fisk, or Don
> Mattingly, if an infielder is injured and he's the last player on the
> bench, all the time risking HIS neck out there?
> GET SERIOUS!
> Bruce Rodean

I'm only telling you what the rules are.  If the NL ran out of
shortstops, for example, due to injury, I think it more likely that
Ryne Sandberg will get a try over there than Dwight Gooden!

						David Rubin

bob@pedsgd.UUCP (Robert A. Weiler) (08/19/85)

In article <50300024@hpfclo.UUCP> rodean@hpfcla.UUCP (rodean) writes:

>Well I'm probably wrong, but is Dwight Gooden going to play shortstop,
>take a couple of hot shots from George Brett, Carleton Fisk, or Don
>Mattingly, if an infielder is injured and he's the last player on the
>bench, all the time risking HIS neck out there?
>
>GET SERIOUS!

This is off the original point, but Im not sure he couldnt do it. Often
overlooked because of Gooden's great arm is the fact that he is a
phenomenal fielder also. I dont think I have seen him make an error
yet, he never seems to have problems with hot shots back to him
on the mound, and Ive seen him turn at least 2 bunts into double plays.
>Bruce Rodean
>{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

Bob Weiler.

rodean@hpfcla.UUCP (10/02/85)

> I'd like to put to rest a strange vision that I have been having the last
> couple weeks.  I seem to remember a ball player from the early 70's, possibly
> on the A's, who either had a toothpick surgically attached to his lip or whose
> trademark was to always carry a toothpick in his mouth.  Does any know what
> I'm talking about, or am I just suffering from some strange illness?  If you
> have any information regarding this toothpick, please let me know.

U.L. Washington, formerly of the Kansas City Royals and who knows where
now, constantly had a toothpick in his mouth. I don't know if he is the
one you're talking about, but he fits the bill.

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (11/13/85)

>Don't based the two leagues on the annual summer EXHIBITION game.  This game
>has no meaning whatsoever.  The real test is something like the series, where
>it is team vs. team, not a millionaire's pick-up game.  That is why I'm in
>favor of interleague play.

Aren't ALL sporting events EXHIBITIONS?

Of course, using this philosophy, one could claim professional
wrestling, since it is pure exhibition, as the ultimate sport.

Roy

dnichols@ti-csl (02/10/86)

/* Written  7:30 am  Jan 30, 1986 by cjsgro@watdragon.UUCP in ti-csl:net.sport.baseball */

I saw the Historical Abstract and got immediately turned-off by its price:
$37.00!  Is it really worth it?
/* End of text from ti-csl:net.sport.baseball */

It was only $24.95 in the bookstore here. $37 does sound high,
regardless of how good it is.

-Dan-

saohn@ihlpg.UUCP (Ohnsman) (02/12/86)

> /* Written  7:30 am  Jan 30, 1986 by cjsgro@watdragon.UUCP in ti-csl:net.sport.baseball */
>
> I saw the Historical Abstract and got immediately turned-off by its price:
> $37.00!  Is it really worth it?
> /* End of text from ti-csl:net.sport.baseball */
>
> It was only $24.95 in the bookstore here. $37 does sound high,
> regardless of how good it is.
>
> -Dan-

Regular price this week at B. Dalton (national chain) is $24.95

This week, it is on sale for 35% off, or roughly $17.00.

At this price, it's definitely worth it!!  Nearly 700 pages of
quality writing and data will provide you with a unique perspective
on the game of baseball.

Rush right out and hit that store.

I have no connection with B. Dalton......

rodean@hpfcla.UUCP (02/28/86)

> This year there is reason to be optomistic.  Ray Miller will be starting the
> season fresh and Blyleven is back in Minnesota.  I think the Twins top four
> starters (Viola, Blyleven, Smithson and Butcher) can match anyone in the AL.

How about Saberhagen, Leibrandt, Jackson, Black, and Gubicza (that's five
I know)? Let's go for a repeat in 86! GO ROYALS!!!

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean