[net.sport.baseball] November Ballpark

tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) (11/03/86)

>And sad, too, for all baseball fans, because when the parade is over the
>players and managers are going home, the announcers will collapse with a
>sigh into their easy chairs and (as Tom Cheek said last night) put on the
>bunny slippers; tarpaulins and then snowflakes will cover the fields; and
>winter descends on baseball, as death descends on life.
>
>There will be spring -- there will be flowers, Easter, and batting practice
>-- but right now only faith sustains us.

    Beautiful words, Chris.  I'm glad to see someone out there understands
    what it's all about, besides me.

    A friend of mine, who was a Mets fan at the time and then later a
    Red Sox fan, wrote the following Haiku:

                November Ballpark
                The sound of vendors churns the air
                Old Carl Yazstremski

    The image of an old Yaz had a peculiar poignancy in the spring of '71,
    when these lines were penned,  but I think the words speak of a certain
    Schadenfreude, even today.  At any rate, the poem does take risks.

    Let's bring the Braves back to Boston in '88!

    Tom Gross
    Apollo Computer, Inc.
    Chelmsford, MA