Jitsu- Ryu or Buddy Amato.

From: Scott Thompson
Who is at: ihnp4!hoqam!rst
Who boasts: 1)Fluency in English. 2) Prehensile hands.

"For every hundred Sinners there's one Saint. What can we do about him?"

israel@umcp-cs.UUCP (Bruce Israel) (10/29/84)

In article <506@houca.UUCP> victorf@houca.UUCP writes:
>I am interested in hearing if there is a sizeable number of people in netland
>that are, were, or plan to be involved in the martial arts.

Well, there are a few of us out here.

>My instructor's instructor, whom I see often, is Buddy Amato, the youngest
>and highest ranking master in the world. Our style revolves around self
>defense and forms are learned in the upper belts. I would especially be
>interested in hearing if anyone else out there has ever even heard of Kar-Do-
>Jitsu- Ryu or Buddy Amato.

I'm familiar with him.  First, there was an article in "Official Karate",
October 1984 issue, focusing on Buddy Amato.  It was called "The Heart of a
Street Fighter".  It was an interesting article, but I didn't care for it a
whole lot.  It made him sound like he was basically out to fight anyone.  The
article gets more reasonable as it goes on, but it starts out with lines
like " . . . the word seems to have spread that Amato has re-arranged more
faces than a Hollywood plastic surgeon, and if you want to fight at any time
for any reason, he'll accommodate you" (quoted from the article).  I am a
traditionalist at heart, and I think that the responsibility of the martial
artist is to avoid fights, not to get in them.  Now I'm not saying that Amato
is like this (since I don't know), but the article tends to give that
impression.

The second reason that I know of Amato is that I've met him.  The head of the
organization that I am a member of is Harry Rosenstein, and he and Amato know
each other.  Our organization has tournaments each year where the proceeds go
to benefit United Cerebral Palsy (one in Wash. D. C., and one in Marlboro
N.J.), and Amato usually attends our NJ tournament, and brings a large
contingent.

I don't really know anything about Kar-Do-Jitsu-Ryu except what you've said,
and what is in the article.  My organization is very traditional and we take
just about the opposite approach.  We emphasize the forms and mental aspects of
the art, and de-emphasize the self-defense aspects.
--

Bruce Israel

University of Maryland, Computer Science Dept.
{rlgvax,seismo}!umcp-cs!israel (Usenet)    israel@Maryland (Arpanet)