[net.sport] What's happening with Bollettieri's tennis kids?

cher@ihlpm.UUCP (cherepov) (10/01/85)

--
For some time now there has been a pattern of "sad" developments
with those kids out of Nick Bollettieri's tennis academy who

I do not think it is really "sad" because I do not feel that someone
making over 100k playing tennis is deserving of sorrow. Besides,
with the money their old folks are making... (but that's another story)
Some examples:
 Eric Korita (150mph-serving Prince-advertising fellow).
	Nowhere in sight
 Jimmy Arias (was #5 on the ATP computer)
	Now floating in low 20s
Kathy Horvath  - similar to Arias' story
Aaron Krickstein - even more promise then Arias, now
	plunges 20 places in rankings
Lisa Bonder - same story

The only exception is Carling Basset, but that may be due to
the fact that she hasn't spent her few months near the top yet..

Anyway, is there something about Bollettieri's academy type of
environment that renders his pupils unable to sustain their
success? I realize that all of these individuals are pretty young,
so this might not be the final judgement....
			Mike Cherepov

cccallan@ucdavis.UUCP (Allan McKillop) (10/03/85)

> --
> For some time now there has been a pattern of "sad" developments
> with those kids out of Nick Bollettieri's tennis academy who
> are good enough to turn pro:
> * they move up very high very quickly
> * they stay there few months
> * they take an enormous plunge
>
>  Eric Korita (150mph-serving Prince-advertising fellow).
> 	Nowhere in sight
>  Jimmy Arias (was #5 on the ATP computer)
> 	Now floating in low 20s
> Kathy Horvath  - similar to Arias' story
> Aaron Krickstein - even more promise then Arias, now
> 	plunges 20 places in rankings
> Lisa Bonder - same story
>
> The only exception is Carling Basset, but that may be due to
> the fact that she hasn't spent her few months near the top yet..

wait a second.  while i have no real love for the Bollettieri
method of training, you have a couple of your facts wrong.

Horvath and Bonder are not with Bollettieri anymore.  I believe
Horvath is still under Harry Hopman and Bonder is working with
some coach in Miami.

I think what is more interesting in the men is the tendancy to not
have a well rounded game.  Arias and Krickstein both have/had great
forehands, but thier backhands that would have trouble cracking eggs.
Take away Korita's serve, and what do you have?  not much.

I think this is the real reason i think the people shoot way up,
but then people start figuring ways around the one weapon, they
have nothing to fall back on.

--

Allan McKillop
(...ucbvax!ucdavis!deneb!cccallan)

"Where there's a will, there's a relative..."

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (10/04/85)

In article <505@ihlpm.UUCP> cher@ihlpm.UUCP (Mike Cherepov) writes:
>--
>For some time now there has been a pattern of "sad" developments
>with those kids out of Nick Bollettieri's tennis academy who
>are good enough to turn pro:
>* they move up very high very quickly
>* they stay there few months
>* they take an enormous plunge
> [... some examples ...]
>Anyway, is there something about Bollettieri's academy type of
>environment that renders his pupils unable to sustain their
>success? I realize that all of these individuals are pretty young,
>so this might not be the final judgement....

Nick Bollettieri seems to groom his kids to specialize in clay court play.
This enables them to have more impressive results at an early age, since
on clay courts raw speed and power are less important than endurance
and sound technique.  Many teenagers have good strokes and endurance,
but few have the speed and power of a mature adult.

In the late 1970's the trend in major tournaments seemed to be away
from grass courts and toward clay courts.  Unfortunately, the clay
courts fostered a type of play that was too slow for the spectators.
The more recent trend is toward hard courts (concrete, carpet, asphalt, etc.)

Nick's kids start out doing very well in clay court play.  Then they
see that further advancement requires a different style of play.
So far, none of them have been able to make the adjustment.  Furthermore,
the attempt to change styles hurts their clay court play.

The Swedish tennis players have been able to make this kind of adjustment
very well, but only after suffering through a period of bad losses.

	Frank Silbermann

cher@ihlpm.UUCP (cherepov) (10/05/85)

> Horvath and Bonder are not with Bollettieri anymore.  I believe
> Horvath is still under Harry Hopman and Bonder is working with
> some coach in Miami.

I think  they parted after things began looking kinda sour.

> I think what is more interesting in the men is the tendancy to not
> have a well rounded game.  Arias and Krickstein both have/had great
> forehands, but thier backhands that would have trouble cracking eggs.
> Take away Korita's serve, and what do you have?  not much.

Yes, Aries and Krickstein stay quite a bit to the left (protecting
backhands), but "trouble cracking eggs"? Arias almost throws
his arm out of the socket when he hits backhand - very hard-hit shot!
He does not slice it too often or too gracefully. Krickstein's
two-hander is not bad at all - hard to read, good lob,...

> I think this is the real reason i think the people shoot way up,
> but then people start figuring ways around the one weapon, they
> have nothing to fall back on.

That's probably right, but note that these two and Horwath
had grave injury problems. Conditioning may be a factor.

Actually I suspect some psychological problems, but can't pinpoint
any...
		Mike Cherepov

cccallan@ucdavis.UUCP (Allan McKillop) (10/06/85)

> > Horvath and Bonder are not with Bollettieri anymore.  I believe...
> I think  they parted after things began looking kinda sour.

no, i believe both left because they thought that "nick" was not
able to spend enough time on them personally, so they switched.

> > I think what is more interesting in the men is the tendancy to not
> > have a well rounded game.  Arias and Krickstein both have/had great
> > forehands, but thier backhands that would have trouble cracking eggs.
> > Take away Korita's serve, and what do you have?  not much.
>
> Yes, Aries and Krickstein stay quite a bit to the left (protecting
> backhands), but "trouble cracking eggs"? Arias almost throws
> his arm out of the socket when he hits backhand - very hard-hit shot!
> He does not slice it too often or too gracefully. Krickstein's
> two-hander is not bad at all - hard to read, good lob,...

but if you look at arias' backhand, he uses only his arm.  no wonder
he is having physical problems.  ok, maybe "trouble cracking eggs"
was a poor choice of words, but the fact is that arias' backhand is
a liability.  did you see his match against thomas smid at the open?
his backhand was pitiful.  if he learned to hit more with his body
(ala eliot teltscher or ivan lendl who both hit the backhand harder
than alias without all that wasted movement), i think his game might
pick up tremendously.

> That's probably right, but note that these two and Horwath
> had grave injury problems. Conditioning may be a factor.

hmm....  horvath?  i don't recall any major physical difficulties
from her in a while.  when she first broke on to the scene, yes.
but that was because of a physical deformity (one leg was 1/4th
inch longer than the other, i believe).  i guess you might call
this "an injury problem", but that depends if you also call tracy
austin's back problems an injury.  they were both there before either
started playing tennis, but the amount of tennis they played emphasized
the problem.  as for arias and krickstein, i think it stems from playing
too much too soon.  they were both playing on the professional circuits
well before their body's were physically ready for the year-long grind.

> Actually I suspect some psychological problems, but can't pinpoint
> any...
> 		Mike Cherepov

really?  i don't see anything radically different in the bollettieri kids
than the other professionals.  and aren't we forgetting carling bassett?
so far, she (1) plays well on more than just clay (beating mandlikova 2
times this year on hard courts) (2) has had no major physical problems
and (3) she seems reasonably (mentally) well adjusted.  is she the
exception or the rule?