[net.sport] CART, F1, safety

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (11/04/85)

In article <1151@wucec2.UUCP> rll9466@wucec2.UUCP (Richard L. Lantz) writes:

>> F1 seems to be relatively safe (no serious injuries in the last
>> while); this can be largely attributed to the strength of the
>> monocoque chassis.  Even when the car ends up being completely
>> mangled, the driver climbs out unharmed.  Alas, in World Championship

> There were a few leg injuries in F1 last year; Tambay before Canada (?),
> Brundle at Dallas ('84 , remember).  This year has been quite good, perhaps as
> a result of FISA's increased crash-worthyness testing.

>> In rallying, the strength of the roll cage is not as high, and this may
>> have caused the seriousness of the injuries to Ari Vatanen (driving a
>> Peugeot in Argentina) and the death of Attilio Bettega (driving a
>> Lancia in Corsica) this year.  Rallying speeds are going way up with
>> the increases in horsepower (450 hp in the Audi Quattro Sport, almost
>> as much in the Peugeot 205 evolution model).

> Oh, yes, rally speeds are escalating rapidly as manufacturerers jump into the
> "Formula 1" rallying.  I use "formula 1" in the sense that BIG budgets are
> going into rallying.  Safety may not be keeping up with the speeds.

This will be going farther yet, with the introduction in 1987 of Class S.
Currently, there are three classes: Class N (basically showroom
stock), Class A (modified production vehicles, eg 4000 Quattro) and
Class B (200 vehicles must be manufactured).  Class B is to be
replaced by Class S, which will allow "one-off" vehicles without the
need for expensive homologation production runs (sucha as Quattro
Sport, Peuget 205 Turbo 16 and Porsche 959).  The safety regulations
will be stricter, though.  Currently there is no plans to allow
chassis constructors (as in F1) to purchase engines from another source.

> On another note, rallying is a little harder to police with safety crews than
> an enclosed permanent circuit is. It is also hard to remove trees, etc from a
> rally course -- the kinds of dangerous obsticals that are not found on other
> circuits.

Helicopter safety crews are a BIG help (all major teams have them).
Alas, FISA is about to ban them because of the risk of a mid-air collision.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982