[net.sport] CART and F1 sound levels

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (11/27/85)

So, the Toronto Grand Prix is on, for July 22, 1986.  Alas, it's a
CART race and not Formula 1.

At the press conference yesterday Tom Sneva attempted to pacify
residents worried about noise by saying that CART racers are no louder
than a "family car" would be without a muffler.  Having seen Honda
Civic races (a family car w/o muffler) and F1 Grands Prix, I can not
help but wonder.  The Civics make almost no noise, but the F1's are
just awesome sound --- ear plugs recommended if you're close to the
track!

Are CART cars that much quieter?  If so, why?  It's true that CART
uses a 2.5 litre (I think) turbo V8, which probably revs a lot lower
than the 1.5 litre F1 turbos, most of which are either of V6 or L4
design.  But, to me, this wouldn't explain that big a difference.

Or do Indycars have mufflers?  :-)

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

rll9466@wucec2.UUCP (Richard L. Lantz) (11/29/85)

In article <1918@watdcsu.UUCP>, haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) writes:
> At the press conference yesterday Tom Sneva attempted to pacify
> residents worried about noise by saying that CART racers are no louder
> than a "family car" would be without a muffler.  Having seen Honda
> Civic races (a family car w/o muffler) and F1 Grands Prix, I can not
> help but wonder.  The Civics make almost no noise, but the F1's are
> just awesome sound --- ear plugs recommended if you're close to the
> track!
Well, in my opinion, Tom wasn't doing much to sooth the populace, as once
the front of my muffler popped off while I had my Olds 350 4-barrel running flat
out to pass someone, and the resulting crescendo of sound was at once startling
and anything but quiet!  This a 5 liter civilian normally aspirated V-8 running
at low revs (relatively speaking.  The CART Cosworths are 2.6Liter turboed V-8's
with a few stock block 5.8 Liter normally aspirated Chevies, and of course the
occasional Buick.  This next season we'll see the Ilmor, which was developed
with Chevrolet money by engineers who split from Cosworth, and which will be in
Penske's hands.  There's also the possibility of a Renault engine (supposedly
developed, but I have my doubts about seeing it, considering Renault's financial
situation at the moment...).  We also have the Ferarri-Truesports link for late
next season.