[net.sport] Windies win again

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (02/07/86)

Latest I hear, the West Indies thrashed England (innings +100's of runs)

If anyone knows more, please post it.
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"But Doctor, we're on that island!"
"Oh my word!"			who said them, what story?

archer@hsi.UUCP (Garry Archer) (02/10/86)

> Latest I hear, the West Indies thrashed England (innings +100's of runs)
>
> If anyone knows more, please post it.
> --
> James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

AARRGH!  England lost to the West Indies AGAIN?   (When have we ever beat them?)

Since I subscribed to this group recently ( initially to see soccer postings! ),
this is the first time I have seen CRICKET referenced!!!!  So, along with
Mr. Armstrong above, I too would be GREATLY interested to see any cricket news.

Actually while I'm asking:  ANY British football (soccer) news/results and
ANY International Rugby Union news/results would also be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance, sports fans,

	Garry Archer,
	Health Systems International, New Haven, Connecticut, USA.

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (02/14/86)

Everton are currently leading the first division, Chelsea two points
behind.  Liverpool and Man United are third and fourth, respectively.
Liverpool look like they're in the Milk Cup final.

England beat Isreal 1-0 in Tel Aviv as a World Cup warm-up.

The ban on English teams in Europe is easing; representative
teams are now allowed to play friendly matches, no word yet on whether
or not English clubs will be allowed in the three big club competitions
next year.
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"But Doctor, we're on that island!"
"Oh my word!"			who said them, what story?

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (02/14/86)

Season	England			West Indies	Tests	E-WI-D

1928	APF Chapman		RK Nunes	3	3-0-0
1929-30	Hon. FSG Calthorpe	ELG Hoad	4	1-1-2
1933	DR Jardine		GC Grant	3	2-0-1
1934-5	RES Wyatt		GC Grant	4	1-2-1
1939	WR Hammond		RS Grant	3	1-0-2
1947-8	GO Allen		JDC Goddard	4	0-2-2
1950	NWD Yardley		JDC Goddard	4	1-3-0
1953-4	L Hutton		JB Stollmeyer	5	2-2-1
1957	PBH May			JDC Goddard	5	3-0-2
1959-60	PBH May			FCM Alexander	5	1-0-4

			THE WISDEN TROPHY

								Held by

1963	ER Dexter		FMM Worrell	5	1-3-1	WI
1966	MC Cowdrey		GS Sobers	5	1-3-1	WI
1967-8	MC Cowdrey		GS Sobers	5	1-0-4	E
1969	R Illingworth		GS Sobers	3	2-0-1	E
1973	R Illingworth		RB Kanhai	3	0-2-1	WI
1973-4	MH Denness		RB Kanhai	5	1-1-3	WI
1976	AW Greig		CH Lloyd	5	0-3-2	WI
1980	IT Botham		CH Lloyd	5	0-1-4	WI
1980-1	IT Botham		CH Lloyd	4	0-2-2	WI
1984	DI Gower		CH Lloyd	5	0-5-0	WI

Last England victory vs West Indies in a Test was 1974.  Last series
of tests won by England was 1969.  Since 1969, England have compiled
a record of 1 win and 16 losses vs. the West Indies, inlcuding two
already this winter.
--

ewan@uw-june (Ewan Tempero) (02/15/86)

In article <310@hsi.UUCP>, archer@hsi.UUCP (Garry Archer) writes:
> Mr. Armstrong above, I too would be GREATLY interested to see any cricket news.

The last I heard, it was an Aussi/India final at the world cup in Aussi.
Australia didn't really deserve to be there. They had been absolutely
humiliated by New Zealand. Chasing 276, they were all out for 70......
By this stage they were already in the finals so it didn't really matter.
NZ then lost to India in the decider for the finals.

Manchester United is now no longer at the top of the First division.
Since losing Robson to injury a few months back, they've gone downhill
badly. He returned a couple of weeks ago but was sent off towards the
end of a game ( the report I saw implied his action which resulted
in his dismissal was accidental... ). The top of the table looks as
follows:

Everton   28  17  5  6  63  35  56
ManU      27  17  4  6  48  20  55
Chelsea   26  16  4  6  44  25  54
Liverpool 28  15  6  5  56  30  53
ManCity   28  10  8  10 34  34  38 ( about midway down )

Source: Manchester Guardian Weekly, Week ending February 9. I've
been a bit lax lately. A fuller listing will appear sometime in
the next couple of weeks.

--
            Ewan

------------
Ewan Tempero  UUCP: ...!uw-beaver!uw-june!ewan    ARPA: ewan@washington.ARPA
I have found a most wonderful proof for P <> NP but net etiquette on the
size of .signature files doesn't allow me to give it here.....

archer@hsi.UUCP (Garry Archer) (02/17/86)

> Last England victory vs West Indies in a Test was 1974.  Last series
> of tests won by England was 1969.  Since 1969, England have compiled
> a record of 1 win and 16 losses vs. the West Indies, inlcuding two
> already this winter.
> --
> James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa
>
> "But Doctor, we're on that island!"
> "Oh my word!"			who said them, what story?

Many thanks on your very comprehensive posting!  I appreciate the news greatly!

		Garry Archer			ihnp4!hsi!archer
		Health Systems International
		New Haven, CT  06511
		USA