[net.sport] Minimum SAT Scores Needed to Get Into U. of Georgia

ijk@hropus.UUCP (Ihor J. Kinal) (02/13/86)

According to today's NY Times article on the lawsuit against Georgia:
"Athletes in football and basketball needed only a 400 S.A.T. score and
the 2.0 grade-point average."

That 400 is a TOTAL score, which is pretty amusing, since the minimum
is 200.  Pretty stringent requirements, don't you think????

Also, the University President said:
"....Georgia would not raise its standards unless its opponents did.
Georgia could not afford to 'disarm unilaterally'...."

Ihor Kinal
ihnp4!houxm!hropus!ijk

P.S.  Forgive me for not posting in net.jokes (some people might
not see the humor in this).

kludge@gitpyr.UUCP (02/15/86)

In article <272@hropus.UUCP> ijk@hropus.UUCP (Ihor J. Kinal) writes:
>According to today's NY Times article on the lawsuit against Georgia:
>"Athletes in football and basketball needed only a 400 S.A.T. score and
>the 2.0 grade-point average."

    " I went to UGA 'cause it was easy to spell."
                               -- UGA Student

gt3191b@gt-oscar.UUCP (02/15/86)

>According to today's NY Times article on the lawsuit against Georgia:
>"Athletes in football and basketball needed only a 400 S.A.T. score and
>the 2.0 grade-point average."
>
>That 400 is a TOTAL score, which is pretty amusing, since the minimum
>is 200.  Pretty stringent requirements, don't you think????

Note that 200 is the minimum score on EACH PART (of 2) of the SAT test.
Thus, the minimum TOTAL score is 400 -- and that's jst being able to
spell your name right!

It is worth noting here that I am not from this state and am therefore
not as embarassed as the rest of the "rednecks" that graduated from that
cow-college across the state from me!  :-) :-)

{ ================= }

McAllister, Daniel Grear               1985     Football    Basketball
                                                --------    ----------
Georgia Insitute of Technology,        Tech       20            89
PO Box 33191                           UGa        16            65
Atlanta Georgia, 30332
                                           "Silence is Golden"

             WHAT?    ME?   GRADUATE?     THEN What'll I do?

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gt-oscar!gt3191b

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (02/17/86)

Actually, if you turn in a blank answer sheet you'll get MORE than 400
total.  Since points are subtracted for wrong answers, a blank sheet
will be worth about 250-300 points or more per half, or 500-600 total.

slk@mit-vax.UUCP (Ling Ku) (02/17/86)

In article <272@hropus.UUCP> ijk@hropus.UUCP (Ihor J. Kinal) writes:
>According to today's NY Times article on the lawsuit against Georgia:
>"Athletes in football and basketball needed only a 400 S.A.T. score and
>the 2.0 grade-point average."
>
>That 400 is a TOTAL score, which is pretty amusing, since the minimum
>is 200.  Pretty stringent requirements, don't you think????

200 is the minimun one can get from either the verbal or math part (if I
remember correctly, it was a while back), so if I hand in a blank exam, then
I automatically get 400 total points.

Admission standard is not as important as graduation standard.  Maybe
ALL students (not just athletes) should pass a national proficiency exam
to get a BA or BS.  (Oh no, not another FOUR YEARS !!!)
--

					Siu-Ling Ku
					{decvax, harvard}!mitvax!slk

albert@harvard.UUCP (David Albert) (02/18/86)

>Actually, if you turn in a blank answer sheet you'll get MORE than 400
>total.  Since points are subtracted for wrong answers, a blank sheet
>will be worth about 250-300 points or more per half, or 500-600 total.

Actually, you need to fill in at least one answer in each section,
since a score of 200 is given for any section left completely blank.
Thus, filling in one question (right or wrong) raises your score
about 50-100 points.

--

David Albert
ihnp4!seismo!harvard!albert (albert@harvard.HARVARD.EDU)