[net.sport] MW Gatting

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (02/24/86)

This past week, in the West Indies, Mike Gatting of England
was nearly killed when hit in the head with a bouncer bowled
by Malcolm Marshall.  He currently has a fractured skull, two
black eyes, and a smashed nose  ( Parts of the bones in and around
his nose were found in the cricket ball).

It appears that his career is over.

How do the cricket fans on the net feel about the bouncer?  Have
you ever faced it (at any level)?  Have you ever used it as a
bowler?  Should it be a legal delivery?  (Current rules in the
Brittanic County Championship allow I believe one bouncer per
over.)  If I get replies, I shall treat this as a poll...

My answers would be that I don't really like it, but view it as
a part of the game.  I've never really faced it, however, and only
tried it once.   I don't have an opinion on its legality.

Send replies to:  mcvax!seismo!topaz!packard!abnji!nyssa

Thanks.
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"But Doctor, we're on that island!"
"Oh my word!"			who said them, what story?

vohra@ut-sally.UUCP (Pavan Vohra) (02/27/86)

In article <1140@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:

>This past week, in the West Indies, Mike Gatting of England
>was nearly killed when hit in the head with a bouncer ....
>
>.... Should it be a legal delivery?  (Current rules in the
>Brittanic County Championship allow I believe one bouncer per
>over.) ....

   Don't most batsmen wear protective headgear these days?  Apparently
   Mike wasn't. (huh?)  Is there any legislation to make these mandatory?
   If not, there probably will be now.

   As far as legality is concerned, why should bouncers be singled out
   as particularly dangerous?  A good batsman should have a "good eye"
   to either swing at them or let them by.  If bouncers are declared
   illegal, so should fielding positions like "silly point".  The
   inherent danger seems equable. (probably more so for "silly point").

   (P.S. Don't International Cricket Rules allow for 2 bouncers/over ?)
____

					Pavan Vohra
				arpa:  vohra@sally.UTEXAS.EDU

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (02/27/86)

In article <1140@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
>How do the cricket fans on the net feel about the bouncer?
     Well, I'm not much of a cricket fan (I like the kind of grasshoppers
we used to get around my hometown Saskatoon a lot more), but the bouncer in
the bar out here at UBC is a real pain.

>                                                       ...  Have
>you ever faced it (at any level)?
     Not personally, but I had a friend who was kind of rowdy that had a
run-in with him once.  He only came up to the bouncer's shoulder level.

>                              ...  Have you ever used it as a
>bowler?
     Not sure what you mean.  I don't usually wear hats anyway.

>    ...  Should it be a legal delivery?
     PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE keep discussions about abortion out of
net.general!!

>                                    ...  (Current rules in the
>Brittanic County Championship allow I believe one bouncer per
>over.)
     I take it that you meant "one bouncer per oven", indicating that the
number of bouncers depends on the size of the cooking facilities of the
bar.  I think this is a good idea.

     Thanks for posting this poll.  I've often wanted to post to net.general
*myself* to get people's opinions on this subject.  However, I've always
hesitated because I thought it would not be of general interest -- it would be
like posting a poll about that obscure British game, whatever it's called, you
know, the one like baseball, which I don't think they even play in Britain much
anymore.

Thanks again
--Jamie.

pdg@ihdev.UUCP (P. D. Guthrie) (03/01/86)

In article <4300@ut-sally.UUCP> vohra@sally.UUCP (Pavan Vohra) writes:
>In article <1140@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
>
>>This past week, in the West Indies, Mike Gatting of England
>>was nearly killed when hit in the head with a bouncer ....
>>
>>.... Should it be a legal delivery?  (Current rules in the
>>Brittanic County Championship allow I believe one bouncer per
>>over.) ....

The bouncer should absolutely *not* be legal.  Although the pitch is
generally kept very well,  the introduction of ground into the path of
the ball introduces too many variables.  I remember a bouncer in a small
local north-east England that almost killed someone, but if I remember
correctly, sub-county games have never allowed bouncers anyway.

>   Don't most batsmen wear protective headgear these days?  Apparently
>   Mike wasn't. (huh?)  Is there any legislation to make these mandatory?
>   If not, there probably will be now.
I hope that headgear is not required, as it would remind me too much of
the hideous American game, baseball. [ Put on ring of flame protection ]

>   As far as legality is concerned, why should bouncers be singled out
>   as particularly dangerous?  A good batsman should have a "good eye"
>   to either swing at them or let them by.  If bouncers are declared
>   illegal, so should fielding positions like "silly point".  The
>   inherent danger seems equable. (probably more so for "silly point").

A batsman can be hurt by a bouncer even if he does decide to let it go.
The choice is not his.  `Silly point'?  I haven't heard that one before,
 but I think I know what you are talking about.  I think that the
difference here is that there is more space around to manouever in.
--

Paul Guthrie				`When the going gets weird,
ihnp4!ihdev!pdg				 The weird turn pro'

raghu@ut-sally.UUCP (Raghu Ramakrishnan) (03/02/86)

In article <529@ihdev.UUCP> pdg@ihdev.UUCP (55224-P. D. Guthrie) writes:

>The choice is not his.  `Silly point'?  I haven't heard that one before,
> but I think I know what you are talking about.  I think that the
>difference here is that there is more space around to manouever in.
>--

I don't think you do! :-) Silly point is that interesting position where
you give the batsman a sporting chance to reach out and touch someone.

- raghu

sridhar@tekecs.UUCP (S. Sridhar) (03/03/86)

> In article <1140@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
>
> >This past week, in the West Indies, Mike Gatting of England
> >was nearly killed when hit in the head with a bouncer ....
> >
> >.... Should it be a legal delivery?  (Current rules in the
> >Brittanic County Championship allow I believe one bouncer per
> >over.) ....
> >

>    Don't most batsmen wear protective headgear these days?  Apparently
			    ^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
>    Mike wasn't. (huh?)  Is there any legislation to make these mandatory?
>    If not, there probably will be now.

  I too would be amazed if Gatting wasn't wearing a helmet and that too
  against the vaunted West Indian battery. The times I've seen Gatting
  on TV few yrs ago, he was wearing a helmet. I'm really sorry this has
  happened. This is the third such incident in 25 years. The first was
  in 1962 (?) when Indian Captain Nari Contractor was felled by
 Charlie Griffith in the West Indies and the second was around 1975
in New Zealand when New Zealand
 paceman Ewan Chatfield was felled by England's Peter Lever (not to be confused
 with John "vaseline gauze" Lever also of England). Contractor's career was
 over but Chatfield survived miraculously to bounce (no pun!) back into
 the game a few months later. In fact Chatfield was supposed to have been
 clinically dead for several minutes. Maybe this was the incident that caused the
 institution of the "no bouncers to tailenders, only to established batsmen"
 law.
   Nearly ten years ago (April 1976), in the 4th test at Kingston, Jamaica
Clive Lloyd launched the "Kingston Bloodbath" or the "Afternoon of Terror"
against the visiting Indians. A continous barrage of bouncers incapacitated
almost half of the Indian team, so much so the Captain Bishen Bedi had
to declare the innings closed at 95 for 5 !!
At the time the only Indian bowler that could bowl a bouncer was
leg spinner B. S Chandrasekar !!!

--sridhar
--
S. Sridhar sridhar%spy@tektronix.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (03/03/86)

>A batsman can be hurt by a bouncer even if he does decide to let it go.
>The choice is not his.  `Silly point'?  I haven't heard that one before,
 >but I think I know what you are talking about.  I think that the
>difference here is that there is more space around to manouever in.

Silly point refers to a fielding position on the popping crease about
6 feet in front of the batsman.  There are also two other "silly"
positions, silly mid-on and silly mid-off, referring to fielding
positions 6 feet in front of the batsman on those respective sides.
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"But Doctor, we're on that island!"
"Oh my word!"			who said them, what story?

phil@kcl-cs.UUCP (Phil Thompson) (03/03/86)

<>
Are we talking about the same Mike Gatting? From what I read he doesn't have
a fractured skull and he hopes to be back in the West Indies in time for the
third test - so it doesn't seem that his career is over.

Anyway Gatting said that it was his own fault (not Marshal's) as he was the
one with the bat in his hand but didn't use it.

Phil Thompson

dbmk1@stc.co.uk (03/04/86)

When ah wurr a lad, we wuz told the reezon tha's gorra lumpa wud in t'and
is to stop t'bowler pinnin thee aginst yonder saight screen.

Basically, Mike is a damn good batsman who doesn't let himself get too
worked up about the WI attack.  Last I heard he will be playing the 3rd/4th
test.
I would point out that the first player in this match to retire hurt was
G.Greenidge - pulled a bouncer from I.T.Botham into himself - sound familiar
??.

It might also be of note that when WI were in India/Pakistan recently they
were heard to complain about the wickets and some of the bouncers they
received.  (I believe Imrahn and Kapil are being offered sainthood for this)

--
Regards
  Derek                   !seismo!mcvax!ukc!stc!dbmk1

If anyone wants these opinions they're free, and worth what you pay for them

demo@watdcsu.UUCP (COURSE USE [DCS]) (03/04/86)

see you

irene@epistemi.UUCP (03/05/86)

Happily, Gatting's career is not over.  He requires an operation to
fix his nose, but his skull was not fractured, despite reports that
Marshall returned to the crease picking bone out of the ball.

Gatting also said that it was his own fault, a fact widely ignored
by the media, especially in Britain.  Of course, the British cricket
media really would like to claim that England loses to the West Indies
because they're a bunch of cheating darkies (:-) but in fact the West
Indies have a few competent cricketers.
The legality of bouncers was discussed at some length a few years
ago when Snow upset everyone with his bowling of bouncers, hence the
one per over rule.  Marshall is fast and good, my impression was that
Snow was deliberately intimidating.

	Irene Orr
	(...mcvax!ukc!cstvax!epistemi!irene)

sridhar@tekecs.UUCP (S. Sridhar) (03/05/86)

> <>
> Are we talking about the same Mike Gatting? From what I read he doesn't have
> a fractured skull and he hopes to be back in the West Indies in time for the
> third test - so it doesn't seem that his career is over.
>
> Anyway Gatting said that it was his own fault (not Marshal's) as he was the
> one with the bat in his hand but didn't use it.
>
> Phil Thompson

I notice that you live in London. You'd be doing some of us starved-for-cricket-
news fans a great service, if from time-to-time you could feed us some cricket
news. For one thing, although this is the beginning of a new county season, I'd
be interested to know who won the Natwest trophy and the Benson and Hedges
trophy last season. Also who is the current skipper of MCC ?

--ss, Portland, Ore.
--
S. Sridhar sridhar%spy@tektronix.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

sanjiva@tesla.UUCP (Sanjiva Prasad) (03/06/86)

> > In article <1140@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
> >
> > >This past week, in the West Indies, Mike Gatting of England
> > >was nearly killed when hit in the head with a bouncer ....

According to TOI ( Times of India ), Mar 2 (?) he's having his nose fixed
in London, and plans on being back in the Windies for the third test. Mean-
while Wilf Slack of Middlesex replaces him. MWG has chutzpah.

> >    Don't most batsmen wear protective headgear these days?  Apparently
> 			    ^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
> >    Mike wasn't. (huh?)  Is there any legislation to make these mandatory?
> >
>   I too would be amazed if Gatting wasn't wearing a helmet and that too
>   against the vaunted West Indian battery. The times I've seen Gatting
>   on TV few yrs ago, he was wearing a helmet.
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Where was that ?
In the last two Indian tours he played, I don't recall seeing him playing with
a helmet on, except while fielding at Madness shortleg.
But then Indian pitches are dead, and there aren't any Marshalls.

Sanjiva

abc@nott-cs.UUCP (Andy Cheese) (03/06/86)

As the bouncer is a legal ball i can't see what is wrong with it. How do
you do decide when a ball is to short ?. Balls from around a full length
can get up. After all Mike Gatting had plenty of time to get out of the way
but instead committed himself to the shot and thereby took the risk involved.
--
Andy Cheese

ewan@uw-june (Ewan Tempero) (03/07/86)

In article <5976@tekecs.UUCP>, sridhar@tekecs.UUCP (S. Sridhar) writes:
>  Charlie Griffith in the West Indies and the second was around 1975
> in New Zealand when New Zealand
>  paceman Ewan Chatfield was felled by England's Peter Lever (not to be confused
>  with John "vaseline gauze" Lever also of England). Contractor's career was
>  over but Chatfield survived miraculously to bounce (no pun!) back into
>  the game a few months later. In fact Chatfield was supposed to have been
>  clinically dead for several minutes. Maybe this was the incident that caused the
>  institution of the "no bouncers to tailenders, only to established batsmen"
>  law.
In fact I think it was the English wicket keeper of the time who is credited
with saving him. Whoever it was ( apoligies for forgetting ) resusitated him
at the wicket. Chatfield is now one of NZ's most consistant bowlers (although
not necessarily as spectacular as some ).

From the Manchester Guardian Weekly, Week ending March 2:
Mike Gatting, the one English batsman to have found consistant and
aggressive scoring form during the Westt Indies arrived back in England
sporting two black eyes and a squashed, bruised nose that would have been
worthy of any championship boxing match.

[......]
Gatting, like the England captain, Gower, wears a helmet but not the
protective visor or bar across the face. Some players feel that the visor or
bar can affect vision. Gatting will now undergo nose surgery but expects to
return to the West Indies in time fo the last two or three Tests.

-----
The article also said "Adding insult to injury the ball bounced down on
to his stumps to have him bowled for 10."

--
            Ewan

------------
Ewan Tempero  UUCP: ...!uw-beaver!uw-june!ewan    ARPA: ewan@washington.ARPA
I have found a most wonderful proof for P <> NP but net etiquette on the
size of .signature files doesn't allow me to give it here.....

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (03/10/86)

   Some time ago, someone offered to translate postings written in French.
Could we get someone to translate postings written in Cricket?

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {your favorite backbone site}!hplabs!well!farren

jhodgson@sjuvax.UUCP (J. Hodgson) (03/13/86)

In article <577@epistemi.UUCP> irene@epistemi.UUCP writes:
>Happily, Gatting's career is not over.  He requires an operation to
>fix his nose, but his skull was not fractured, despite reports that
>Marshall returned to the crease picking bone out of the ball.
>
>Gatting also said that it was his own fault, a fact widely ignored
>by the media, especially in Britain.  Of course, the British cricket
>media really would like to claim that England loses to the West Indies
>because they're a bunch of cheating darkies (:-) but in fact the West
>Indies have a few competent cricketers.
>The legality of bouncers was discussed at some length a few years
>ago when Snow upset everyone with his bowling of bouncers, hence the
>one per over rule.  Marshall is fast and good, my impression was that
>Snow was deliberately intimidating.
>
>	Irene Orr
>	(...mcvax!ukc!cstvax!epistemi!irene)

Was it Wes Hall or Charlie Griffith who strained his back pulling up short
when Brian Close charged down the pitch from the batting crease.
Capable batsmen can respond to intimidating bowling.

		Jonathan Hodgson.