[net.sport] score

rob@dadla.tek.com (Rob Vetter;1044;92-725;LP=A;60fB) (11/24/86)

In article <287@csustan.UUCP> jay@csustan.UUCP (jimmy young) writes:

>Need help on settling a bet!

	[...]
>The question now becomes is there a score of 0-0, right now, for every game
						   ^^^^^^^^^
>that will ever be played.

	Hard to say, but take a look at that scoreboard before the
	opening kick/tip/face-off sometime - score 0 - 0.

	(Pay up sucker :-) )

Rob Vetter
[ihnp4, ucbvax, decvax, uw-beaver]!tektronix!dadla!rob

An analogy is like sex.  The more you examine it, the worse it gets.

amamaral@elrond.UUCP (Alan Amaral) (11/26/86)

In article <287@csustan.UUCP>, jay@csustan.UUCP (jimmy young) writes:

> Need help on settling a bet!
>   One man, Jim, goes up to another, Bill, and says the following:
>       "I'll bet you $20 I can tell you the score of sunday's Raider's
> game against the Eagles before the game starts!"
>   Bill, thinking he can win a sure bet replies: "O.K.  You're on!!!"
>   Jim proceeds:
>       "The score of the game before it starts is 0-0.  Pay up sucker!"

While attending the last New Orleans DECUS a friend was approached by an
obviously street-wise youth who attempted to put the following bet to
him:

	"Hey, I bet you five bucks that I can tell you where you got
	those shoes at." studies shoes carefully. " I bet I can tell
	you what state, what city, what street, and what zipcode you
	got those shoes at."

Well, he didn't fall for the scam, but it wasn't until later, when I
mentioned the incident to a local cab driver that I found out exactly what
the scam was.  He told me that if you take the bet the kid will tell you
that where you got the shoes at is: whatever state/city/street/zipcode
you happen to be standing in at the time.  When you complain that you
bought the shoes in East Oshkosh he'll tell you that the bet was not
that he would tell you where you BOUGHT them at, but that he could tell
you where you GOT them at, and where you got them at is right here...
Don't bother Trying to explain to this kid why semantically he is
incorrect, just fork over the five bucks. Don't you just wish you could
turn the tables and give the guy five male deer? ;-)