[net.music] Laurie Anderson & Lester Bangs

hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA (RAMD) (05/13/85)

Hey, anybody out there .... is Laurie Anderson's new albumn - "States"
worth the 30$ or more for it.  I only heard one cut on incredible WHFS
and it seemed good -something about how we are abandoning farmers.

Also, still await reply on Lester Bangs books - Did he write an
autobiography on Rod Stewart and did his last book before his
untimely death ever get published ... I think it was called "Rock n
Roll Sodom & Gomorah" ... Anyone out there know who Lester Bangs was??

-J. Hofmann
"You can't get blood from a stone" - Hooters

hnij@bnl44.ARPA (John S. Labovitz) (05/14/85)

yes, the laurie anderson album (united states i-iv) IS worth $30, altho
if you look around you should probably find it for less (its about $23
here in dc, and $25 at tower).  it's not just one record -- it's a box
set of six, and is from the live performance art (you can't really call
it a concert) from the same name.  get it now...

talking about laurie anderson ...  does anyone know if she's really
touring soon?  someone recently posted a message with dates certain
bands are playing somewhere in denver (yow, can you parse that??), and
she was on it (sep 13, as i recall).  is she coming to dc??

			@hnij@

al@psivax.UUCP (Al Schwartz) (05/16/85)

In article <10622@brl-tgr.ARPA> hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA (RAMD) writes:
>Roll Sodom & Gomorah" ... Anyone out there know who Lester Bangs was??
>-J. Hofmann

I have read articles by Lester Bangs in Creem magazine.  I know nothing about
his books though.
--
                                      Al Schwartz
                                      Pacesetter Systems Inc., Sylmar, CA

sjs@u1100s.UUCP (Stan Switzer) (05/17/85)

In article <10622@brl-tgr.ARPA> hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA (RAMD) writes:
> Hey, anybody out there .... is Laurie Anderson's new albumn - "States"
> worth the 30$ or more for it.  I only heard one cut on incredible WHFS
> and it seemed good -something about how we are abandoning farmers.

I assume you refer to "United States I-IV" or some such.  I got it at $26.
Haven't gotten to give it a listen yet, though.  You might try "Big Science."
That is a collection of pieces from I-IV (Stupid me, I bought both).
I believe it has the cut you refer to.  It also has "Superman," and
is well worth the $7 bucks or so for that cut alone.

About a month ago I heard a song on the radio, and I thought "This is a
perfect parody of Laurie Anderson."  It turned out to be Laurie Anderson.
Damn, she took all of the fun out of it.  She had to be parodied, and
she already did the definitive version.  This is also on I-IV (not on Big
Science).

Stan Switzer     | "You know, they're growing mechanical trees.
ihnp4!u1100s!sjs |  They grow up to their full height