[net.music] Louie Louie in Washington State

dtuttle@uw-june (David C. Tuttle) (05/21/85)

devine@asgb.UUCP (Robert J. Devine) asks:
> Newsgroups: net.music
>   Can anybody from the state of Washington say what's happening
> with this song (Louie Louie)'s nomination for state song?
> I heard a report on NPR that a state legislator had proposed it.

That's true -- it was proposed during the (now finished) 1985 session
of the Washington State Legislature.  However, despite all the hoopla
to get it passed, one important fact was ignored -- the proposal was
not made in time to be considered for that session (the deadline was
sometime in late Feb. or early Mar.).  So all the rallies, all the
popular support, was, this time around, for nothing.  In fact, since
then, another state song has been proposed -- Woody Guthrie's
"Roll On, Columbia" (That's the river between Washington and Oregon,
for you geography freaks).  That has a much better chance of passing.
So, with the state legislature closed (except for a budget session)
until 1987, and "Roll On, Columbia" waiting in the wings, it doesn't
look good for "Louie Louie."  Darn.  What will we do with Richard
Berry's special lyrics he wrote for us?!?
"It was unintelligible at any speed we played it."	David C. Tuttle
	-- A US Government report investigating		Computer Sci. Dept.
	   possible bad words in "Louie Louie"		U. of Washington