[net.music] Louie Louie, and a bonus...

neal@weitek.UUCP (Neal Bedard) (05/18/85)

In article <282@petfe.UUCP>, evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
> As long as we are doing Louie Louie related stuff, I heard a rumor here on
> the Right Coast, that some radio station on the Left Coast had a Louie-
> Louie-thon, where they played 100 (1000?) different versions of the song
> over a weekend...consecutively.  Can anyone verify this?  Does anyone have
> a list (even a partial list) of what they played??
>
> --Evan Marcus

The number was somewhere around 440, and the radio station was KFJC,
Foothill Junior College's noncommercial offering in Los Altos. Weeks
beforehand as part of last year's `Month of Mayhem' promotion they
solicited tapes from listeners as well as collecting as many known
published versions as they could. Some of the more obscure included
a version by Patti Smith and one by the Dead Kennedys. Very strange
two days of programming...

If a playlist exists, your best bet would be to write to
KFJC at 12345 El Monte Rd. Los Altos, CA. (sorry, i can't remember the zip)
or call them at 415/941-2500. The individual that organized this
event is station manager Jeff Riedle (sp?) a.k.a `Stretch'.

Notes for Bay Area folks:

KFJC is a excellent substitute for the soon-to-be-defunct (as the rumor goes)
KQAK. New Wave (most of the time) with *NO COMMERCIALS*. Hardcore punk
sometimes, and a good progressive (read: synth music) show on Sunday
afternoons. Blues on Monday morning, just then you need them.
Even though they don't have a killer transmitter, their antenna
is located such that virtually the whole Bay Area is covered.

While I'm on the subject, nobody thus far has mentioned KFOG vs Quake
as filling the decent airwaves gap. KFOG has M. Dung (aaayywweeeeeyy...)
and Scoop Nisker - listening to Scoop brings back fond memories of the
pre-C&W KSAN. For that matter, KFOG in general seems to bring back the
same sort of style and respect for the audience that old KSAN had. Too
bad for Quake, they sounded pretty good when they weren't playing MTV
fare constantly.

Sorry to bore Right Coast people with this Quake stuff. We Left Coasters
on the Lunatic Fringe of the Continent take our radio seriously.

Cheers.
Neal B.
"same as it ever was, same as it ever was..."

faunt@hplabs.UUCP (Doug Faunt) (05/20/85)

> In article <282@petfe.UUCP>, evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
> > As long as we are doing Louie Louie related stuff, I heard a rumor here on

A related note:  I heard that Louie, Louie is the Washington state "Official
Rock Song".
--
  ....!hplabs!faunt	faunt%hplabs@csnet-relay.ARPA
HP is not responsible for anything I say here.  In fact, what I say here

fair@dual.UUCP (Erik E. Fair) (05/21/85)

KALX (UCB's student radio station) did a marathon Louie, Louie session
about two years ago.

	Erik