[net.music] Birdsongs, Einsturzende Neubaten, & Holy Cow live!

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (05/12/85)

I just saw Holy Cow, Birdsongs of the Mesozoic, and Einsturzende
Neubaten Thursday night at The Channel in Boston.  What a night!

Holy Cow: Bass guitar, lead guitar, drums, singer.  These guys make The
Swans seem happy.  This was true angstmusic.  Very disonant, wall of
sound, screaming vocals, feedback.  The singer had a powerful aura of
evil depression about him.  Highlights included "39 Lashes" with all 39
enumerated, and "I Wish I Were God".  Worth seeing at least once.

Bird Songs of the Mesozoic:  These guys were great!  I'm definitely
going to get their album "Magnetic Flip".  They have three keyboardists,
a guitar player, and a rhythm machine.  Each of the keyboardists
sometimes played drums too.  One of the keyboardists also played some
sort of strange whistle.  Very complicated music.  Quite melodic, but
with lots of interesting dissonance too.  One of the keyboardists would
sort of bang on his keyboard at random every now and then.  They didn't
do their version of "Rite of Spring", but they did do a cover of Brian
Eno's Sombre Reptiles.

Einsturzende Neubaten:  THUNK THUNK CRUNCH GRIND THUNK GRIND THUNK THUNK
CRUNCH GRIND THUNK GRIND.  These guys have definitely NOT gone disco,
though perhaps, maybe you could sort of dance to some of it.  Bass
guitar, two percussionists, singer.  I can't call these guys dissonant,
because their weren't any notes in their music.  Their music sort of
sounds like a troop of sentient pile drivers jamming.  The two
percussionists played on various pieces of industrial scrap metal, car
differentials, springs, a shoping cart, etc., that were amplified and
fed through various electronic effects so that it all sounded like
different sorts of heavy machinery.  The bass player mostly banged on
his guitar rhymically, every now and then he'd throw in some scraping
dissonace or maybe a chord or two.  Good stuff.  Check them out!

			"I hope you remember
			 to treat the gelignite tenderly for me"

			 Doug Alan
			  mit-eddie!nessus
			  Nessus@MIT-MC.ARPA

ir408@sdcc6.UUCP (ir408) (05/16/85)

As an ardent fan of Einsturzende, it bereaves me to here they were on
the east coast and did not play here in southern California, as they did
last year (definitely my concert of the year). Serious industrial rock
fans should be alerted to the film "Dekoder", which stars F.M. Einheit
(one of the buzzsaw players in Einsturzende), as well as Christiane
Fellenshur (the reformed junkie on whose life the film Christiane F. was
based). Genesis P. Orridge and William S. Burroughs have bit parts. The
film has been released in Germany, and the filmmaker is currently trying
to arrange distribution in the US. I saw a poor quality VHS copy with
abyssmal subtitling, but even this could not detract from its
brilliance. There will probably be a soundtrack album out soon
(imported, of course), and this should be good mood music for those
nights when you feel like playing with the high voltage coils in the
back of the TV.
One other thing to watch for is an EP from a group called the
Abasydarians (spelling is approximate). Etherial, but gloomy
none-the-less.

"Life ... Don't talk to me about life"

		       Jeff E Mandel MD
		       UCSD Anesthesia Research

plutchak@uwmacc.UUCP (Joel Plutchak) (05/21/85)

In article <2076@sdcc6.UUCP> ir408@sdcc6.UUCP (ir408) writes:
>...this should be good mood music for those
>nights when you feel like playing with the high voltage coils in the
>back of the TV.
>
>"Life ... Don't talk to me about life"
>
>		       Jeff E Mandel MD
>		       UCSD Anesthesia Research

   I've always wondered what anesthesiologists did in their spare time...
--
                             - joel

        Honk if you love silence!