[net.music] net.music.jazz

msl@bu-cs.UUCP (Melissa Leffler) (05/05/85)

Is there any interest in a net.music.jazz newsgroup?  It was mentioned
in net.music.classical, and I would definitely be interested.  Anyone
else?

			Melissa Leffler
			UUCP:   ...!harvard!bu-cs!msl
			ARPA:   msl%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.ARPA
			BITNET: stdtmsl@bostonu

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (05/06/85)

>/* msl@bu-cs.UUCP (Melissa Leffler) /  8:09 pm  May  4, 1985 */
>Is there any interest in a net.music.jazz newsgroup?  It was mentioned
>in net.music.classical, and I would definitely be interested.  Anyone
>else?
>
>			Melissa Leffler

Yes, definitely!!

					Mike Sykora

rlm@lanl.ARPA (05/06/85)

> Is there any interest in a net.music.jazz newsgroup?

      Count me in as a subscriber.  Personally, I would like to
      see Blues included in that newsgroup - what do others think?

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

wjhe@hlexa.UUCP (Bill Hery) (05/07/85)

> Is there any interest in a net.music.jazz newsgroup?  It was mentioned
> in net.music.classical, and I would definitely be interested.  Anyone
> else?

Definitely.  I get tired of n-ing through all the rock items that dominate
this newsgroup, particularly when I'm out of touch for a few days.

Bill Hery

PAWKA@nosc-tecr.ARPA (Pawka) (05/07/85)

> > Is there any interest in a net.music.jazz newsgroup?
>
>       Count me in as a subscriber.  Personally, I would like to
>       see Blues included in that newsgroup - what do others think?

	I wouldn't like to see net.music.jazz unless it gets gated into
INFO-MUSIC, otherwise like with net.music.gdead, those of us on ARPA
wouldn't get much more Jazz news. Otherwise, GREAT!! and I hope blues
would be included.

					Mike

------

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (05/08/85)

In article <380@bu-cs.UUCP>, msl@bu-cs.UUCP (Melissa Leffler) writes:
> Is there any interest in a net.music.jazz newsgroup?  It was mentioned
> in net.music.classical, and I would definitely be interested.  Anyone
> else?

	Absolutely!! Having just recently discovered KKGO (Los Angeles,
America's jazz station) on my FM cable, I'm hooked on jazz.

Rock 'n Roll, never touch the stuff, stains my speakers ;-)

jazzaholic,

--
edward

		 {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,research}!anlams! -|
			{mcvax!qtlon,vax135,mddc}!qusavx! -|-->	ukma!edward
     {decvax,ihnp4,mhuxt,clyde,osu-eddie,ulysses}!cbosgd! -|

	"Well, what's on the television then?"
	"Looks like a penguin."

Wenner.es@XEROX.ARPA (05/08/85)

RE:  Music sub-groups.

It is logical to try and divide the general music interest group into
sub-distributions, in an attempt to cut down on the large volume of
wide-ranging topics, many of which are not of interest to a good deal of
the recipients.  There are, however, two arguments AGAINST this trend in
use-net :

1.  By creating  "jazz", "blues", "rock and roll", "grateful dead",
etc.,  lists, the same trap is created that is inherent to almost all
radio formats and record stores' organization today:  The
black-and-white "categorizing" of music, with rigid rules against mixing
of styles.  In the relaxed atmosphere of this informal, entertainment
distribution on the net, this means that those of us who like jazz,
classical, ragtime, or whatever else must obviously be on the related
list, even if we really don't KNOW we do until we hear the discussion.
If a "new" mix of styles emerges, then where do you best talk about it?
This is theoretical, of course; my main point is that I feel music
"categorization" is not a good idea for this medium, which I use
primarily to find out about musical topics I knew nothing of before.

2.  Creating subgroups dooms many of us, who receive net.music via
redistribution to lose out completely on those specific subject
discussions.  For example, I am receiving net.music indirectly on the
Xerox Internet, via "Info-Music" from BRL.ARPA.  The new net.music.gdead
is NOT redistributed, so I have lost out on maintaining communication
with others on that interest list.  Big deal, say most of you.  But a
net.music.jazz or net.music.blues will take these more general topics
away as well, of which I have great interest.

In short, I submit one vote, to whoever's counting, to keep net.music a
GENERAL (read all-encompassing) music interest distribution list.  Nix
on the spinoffs.  Thanks to ALL for putting up with this non-music
subject; let's hear more about the blues!

Jim Wenner <Wenner.es@XEROX.ARPA>
Xerox Microelectronics Center, El Segundo, CA
(213)-536-9582

dmm@browngr.UUCP (David Margolis) (05/08/85)

I second the formation of net.music.jazz. Way overdue, in fact, especially
for those of us that aren't much interested in wading through the vast
amount of postings not particularly of interest to us just to find the
odd jazz posting.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Arthur Pewtey) (05/09/85)

> > Is there any interest in a net.music.jazz newsgroup?
>
>       Count me in as a subscriber.  Personally, I would like to
>       see Blues included in that newsgroup - what do others think?

Hell, no!  The group hasn't even formed yet and I'm already tired of hitting
my 'n' key to get by all of those boring jazz articles (jazz stains my
speakers, a nice shade of mahogany I might add) to get to the blues articles.
To prepare for the inevitable future, I propose we make net.music.jazz.blues
first, or net.music.blues.jazz, depending on your point of view.

[NOTE: Satire follows.]

[Sorry, that last message came in about a paragraph too late.]

P.S.  Do you really think I care how finely you split up newsgroups anymore?
	Coming soon:  net.site.user-id -- soon everyone will have a newsgroup
	devoted to their own taste, and will never need to worry about being
	exposed to other points of view.

P.P.S.  "I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac.  I said don't look back."
--
"to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and day
 to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (05/09/85)

>Is there any interest in a net.music.jazz newsgroup?  It was mentioned
>in net.music.classical, and I would definitely be interested.  Anyone
>else?
>
>			Melissa Leffler

In my opinion, the best way to get a jazz subgroup is to flood net.music
with jazz articles. That way the rock people will be tired of hearing about it
and let us for a jazz sub group (:- :- :-)

Seriously, there is so little jazz activity in net.music right now
that it would be hard to justify a separate jazz sub group. All us
jazz fans are going to have to post some articles. I am sure there are
a lot of jazz subjects worth posting some articles about.....

Marcel Simon

wfi@unc.UUCP (William F. Ingogly) (05/10/85)

Here we go again:

> ... my main point is that I feel music
> "categorization" is not a good idea for this medium, which I use
> ... Creating subgroups dooms many of us, who receive net.music via
> redistribution to lose out completely on those specific subject
> discussions.  ...
> Nix on the spinoffs...

I agree, I agree, I agree. Now we'll have to go through two months'
worth of argument back and forth over whether there should be a new
newsgroup or not. A new group will be created, which will
inconvenience some people as the above poster has pointed out. And
Moe, Larry, and Curley will start cross-posting like crazy ("let's
see, this article oughta go in net.music.jazz AND net.music.folk
because jazz is kinda like a type of folk music, sorta; and while I'm
at it why don't I send a copy to the folks at net.music too..."), and
then those of us who subscribe to ALL music subgroups will have to
wear our poor index fingers out skipping over the multiple postings...

I vote NO.                              -- Bill Ingogly

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Arthur Pewtey) (05/10/85)

> It is logical to try and divide the general music interest group into
> sub-distributions, in an attempt to cut down on the large volume of
> wide-ranging topics, many of which are not of interest to a good deal of
> the recipients.  There are, however, two arguments AGAINST this trend in
> use-net :
>
> 1.  By creating  "jazz", "blues", "rock and roll", "grateful dead",
> etc.,  lists, the same trap is created that is inherent to almost all
> radio formats and record stores' organization today:  The
> black-and-white "categorizing" of music, with rigid rules against mixing
> of styles.  In the relaxed atmosphere of this informal, entertainment
> distribution on the net, this means that those of us who like jazz,
> classical, ragtime, or whatever else must obviously be on the related
> list, even if we really don't KNOW we do until we hear the discussion.
> If a "new" mix of styles emerges, then where do you best talk about it?
>
> 2.  Creating subgroups dooms many of us, who receive net.music via
> redistribution to lose out completely on those specific subject
> discussions.  For example, I am receiving net.music indirectly on the
> Xerox Internet, via "Info-Music" from BRL.ARPA.  The new net.music.gdead
> is NOT redistributed, so I have lost out on maintaining communication
> with others on that interest list.  Big deal, say most of you.  But a
> net.music.jazz or net.music.blues will take these more general topics
> away as well, of which I have great interest.
>
> In short, I submit one vote, to whoever's counting, to keep net.music a
> GENERAL (read all-encompassing) music interest distribution list.  Nix
> on the spinoffs.  Thanks to ALL for putting up with this non-music
> subject; let's hear more about the blues!

Here, here!  Well spoken, Jim Wenner!  Which is probably why it will fly past
the minds of those bent on isolationism.  Here comes net.site.user-id...
--
"to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and day
 to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human
 being can fight and never stop fighting."  - e. e. cummings
	Rich Rosen	ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Arthur Pewtey) (05/10/85)

> >Is there any interest in a net.music.jazz newsgroup?  It was mentioned
> >in net.music.classical, and I would definitely be interested.  Anyone
> >else?
> >
> >			Melissa Leffler
>
> In my opinion, the best way to get a jazz subgroup is to flood net.music
> with jazz articles. That way the rock people will be tired of hearing about it
> and let us for a jazz sub group (:- :- :-)
>
> Seriously, there is so little jazz activity in net.music right now
> that it would be hard to justify a separate jazz sub group. All us
> jazz fans are going to have to post some articles. I am sure there are
> a lot of jazz subjects worth posting some articles about..... [MARCEL SIMON]

If you post articles on music you like to net.music, and others follow suit,
there would be no need for subgroups.  I hope that's not too logical an
answer.  (I know it has been in the past...)  Any idea where the discussion on
Gong should go?  Any rigid classifications you might want to put on their
music so it can fit into one of your cubbyholes?

(Given the tolerance level of people who say things like "I never listen to
anything since 1957", or "rock n' roll stains my speakers", I'm not
surprised that there's a movement afoot for isolationism, and the
aforementioned reasons stand as evidence once and for all that it is rooted
in elitism and anything else (like "too many articles to wade through") second.
--
"Ya dee apockety, rum fing f'doo.  Ni, ni, ni, YOWWWWWWWWWW!"
				Rich Rosen 	ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

ryan@fremen.DEC (Mike Ryan DTN 264-8280 MK01-2/H32) (05/10/85)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 7-MAY-1985 17:28---------------------

>Posted by: decwrl!decvax!genrad!panda!talcott!harvard!seismo!brl-tgr!tgr!Wenner.es@XEROX.ARPA

>RE:  Music sub-groups.

>It is logical to try and divide the general music interest group into
>sub-distributions, in an attempt to cut down on the large volume of
>wide-ranging topics, many of which are not of interest to a good deal of
>the recipients.  There are, however, two arguments AGAINST this trend in
>use-net :

>1. Over-categorizing...

>Jim Wenner <Wenner.es@XEROX.ARPA>
>Xerox Microelectronics Center, El Segundo, CA
>(213)-536-9582

I have to agree with Jim - it's bad enough that there's a separate
net.music.classical and net.music.folk.  Discussions of one type of
music can often branch off and involve others, perhaps drawing the
interest of people interested in those other kinds of music (and making
converts).  And some of use do like more than one kind of music, you know...

For example, I dislike country music in general, and would not bother
with a net.music.country.  However, I like some folk artists and bluegrass
music which bridge the gap towards country enough that I would fear I
might be missing something in that subgroup.

Mike Ryan

youngm@utecfa.UUCP (Michael Young) (05/15/85)

Please find enclosed one vote in favour of net.music.jazz !!!
--
Michael Young   University of Toronto    ..!decvax!utcsri!utecfa!youngm

cuccia@ucbvax.ARPA (Nick "Coosh" Cuccia) (05/17/85)

In article <1150027@acf4.UUCP> mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) writes:

>>/* msl@bu-cs.UUCP (Melissa Leffler) /  8:09 pm  May  4, 1985 */
>>Is there any interest in a net.music.jazz newsgroup?  It was mentioned
>>in net.music.classical, and I would definitely be interested.  Anyone
>>else?
>>
>>			Melissa Leffler
>
>Yes, definitely!!
>
>					Mike Sykora

Add another affirmative to net.music.jazz.  I suggested this idea
a while back, and I'm sure that I'm not the first...

cuccia@ucbvax.ARPA (Nick "Coosh" Cuccia) (05/21/85)

In article <380@bu-cs.UUCP> msl@bu-cs.UUCP (Melissa Leffler) writes:
>Is there any interest in a net.music.jazz newsgroup?  It was mentioned
>in net.music.classical, and I would definitely be interested.  Anyone
>else?
>
>			Melissa Leffler

I'm also interested in net.music.jazz being set up, as long as there is
a way to gateway it to the ARPANET music list.

Why do most recordings of Beethoven's Ninth sound like MMOs with the
  Choral tenor part missing?				----
						       /\   \
--Nick "Coosh" Cuccia				      /  \   \
--{...}!ucbvax!cuccia  		(USENET)	     /   /\   \
--cuccia%ucbmiro@Berkeley	(Arpanet)	    /___/  \___\