[net.music] Katrina & the Waves

hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA (RAMD) (05/16/85)

From what I've heard of this new group, I am impressed.  The music
is light and airy, yet still enjoyable.  I got to listen to
the whole albumn at the local Record and Tape Collector Store and
enjoyed, although not enough to rent/buy it ( yet ). (I had
some other music on my shopping list and Uncle doesn't pay me
enough to indulge myself (-| totally |-).)  They have one
release so far from this albumn - called " Walking on Sunshine "
which evokes images of Diana and the Supremes with a better
recording studio.  The verse goes:

" I'me walking on sunshine (oh yeh)
I'm walking on sunshine ( ooh hoo )
and it feels SO GOOD "

So if you like an updated Motown sound you might want to give this
group a listen.

[ flame on ]
Also as a former professional drummer, I couldn't resist jumping
into the 'DRUM MACHINE' fray.  My personal opinion is that if
I could afford one, I would get one because there are many times
when I am playing and wish I could jump into the jam via my
Marimba.  Unfortunately, there isn't always a spare drummer to
step in < you ever hear a guitarist play drums , YECCHH > and
as soon as I stop playing so does everyone else in order to
abuse me for stopping the beat. If I had one of those programmable
babies - I could program in the basic beat and jump onto the
KelonKeys.  Any Yamaha reps out there willing to loan me one
for endorsement??

[flame off]

Anyone hear of GuadalCanal Diary's albumn - 'Walking in the
Shadow of the Big Man'  - good rock-n-roll.  This group
could fill the gap left by REM.  Check out 'Watusi Rodeo' -
song about a Cowboy giving shows in the Far East.

Quote for the day: "Sheesh, Andy - what's a man to do " - Don Knotts

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (05/21/85)

In article <10744@brl-tgr.ARPA> hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA (RAMD) writes:
>Anyone hear of GuadalCanal Diary's albumn - 'Walking in the
>Shadow of the Big Man'  - good rock-n-roll.  This group
>could fill the gap left by REM.

What do you mean, "left by REM"?  They haven't broken up, and their style
hasn't changed that much since "Chronic Town"...

sbt@cbosgd.UUCP (Shirley B. Tobias) (05/22/85)

In article <10744@brl-tgr.ARPA>, hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA (RAMD) writes:
> From what I've heard of this new group, I am impressed.  The music
> is light and airy, yet still enjoyable.

for you potential and actual soft boys fans (actual ones probably know this
already), katrina and crew include one KIMBERLY "SINEW" REW, former soft boy.
when k & the ws were merely the waves, their ep, _Shock_Horror!_ contained
(okay, it still does contain) a killer version of "going down to liverpool"
sung by kimberly--most folks think its a bangles song, but no dice.  it's
quite an ep--i think that's all they had out as the waves.  they've recently
tailored their sound for the fm waves--not a good move in my book.  i've read
that katrina ABHORRS people yelling for them to do old soft boys songs at
shows, so i can't wait 'til i see them.  i'm sure kimberly will love it!