gwyn%brl-vld@sri-unix.UUCP (01/03/84)

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@brl-vld>

I don't know what you mean by "most popular operating system".  I have
NEVER been a fan of UCSD-Pascal, CP/M, or MS-DOS.  Perhaps the problem
really is that "personal computer freaks" are fad followers.

	- A UNIX lover before it became a fad

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (01/05/84)

Stephan Perelgut writes:
> The most popular operating system seems to change every few years.  First
> it was UCSD-Pascal, then it was CP/M, then MS-DOS, and the upcoming
> pop-OS seems to be Unix.

Bad news, Steve: there are big computers out there, too.  And most users
of computers are securely caught in the Big Blue Cage.  Enough of those
Blue users have (unbelievable as it may seem) been convinced that they
actually *like* it that the winner of the most popular OS has got to be
OS/370, VM/370 or MVS.  Where is Seargant Pepper when we need him?
--
Michael Ward

{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!kpno | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!kpno}
       		        !hao!sa%ward

ags@pucc-k (Seaman) (01/09/84)

>  Bad news, Steve: there are big computers out there, too.  And most users
>  of computers are securely caught in the Big Blue Cage.  Enough of those
>  Blue users have (unbelievable as it may seem) been convinced that they
>  actually *like* it that the winner of the most popular OS has got to be
>  OS/370, VM/370 or MVS.  Where is Seargant Pepper when we need him?
>  --
>  Michael Ward

In this news group, it should go without saying that "Most Popular OS"
means "Most Popular Microcomputer OS".  PC-DOS qualifies for the discussion.
OS/370 (barely) qualifies, but can hardly be called the most popular.
VM/370 and MVS are irrelevant (as of the last I heard).

--

				Dave Seaman
				..!pur-ee!pucc-k:ags

ags@pucc-k (Seaman) (01/10/84)

Obviously, I intended my remarks about "Most Popular Operating System"
defaulting to "Most Popular Microcomputer Operating System" to go to
net.micro only.  I didn't notice at first that the article I was following
up was posted to other groups as well.  Please disregard.

--

				Dave Seaman
				..!pur-ee!pucc-k:ags

jmb@druny.UUCP (01/10/84)

You'll have to count VM/370 as a minicomputer OS - IBM's XT/370
runs a 4-meg version of VM, with virtual memory and everything.
It's conceivable that MVS (or some version thereof) will one day
run in this computer too.  Of course you may not want a 370 system
sitting on your desk...

				J. M. Barton
				AT&T Information Systems Laboratories
				...!druny!jmb

Correction: the XT/370 runs a *subset* of VM, guaranteed to run CMS
and CMS applications but nothing else.  Read the announcements more
carefully!
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

jmb@druny.UUCP (01/13/84)

The question is not how complete a set of VM the machine runs, but that
is runs VM at all*.  Your normal desktop computer doesn't run a full
UNIX system either... yet.  This discussion was about the next great OS
on minicomputers.  If a VM subset runs now on XT/370, you can bet there
will be a hardware/software solution soon that runs a more complete set.

				J. M. Barton
				AT&T Information Systems Laboratories
				druny!jmb

* 'The amazing thing about a dancing bear is not how well it dances, but
   that it dances at all.'

ward@hao.UUCP (01/25/84)

I don't see how we can assume that one is only dealing
with micros in newsgroups net.misc and net.unix.