[net.music] Alice anyone?

michaelf@ISM780.UUCP (05/10/85)

	  Fashion and music trends come and go in cycles.
      Currently, Psychadelic Rock has had a minor resurgence and
      Prince's new Sgt. Pepper-oriented album will no doubt give
      this paisley phase some major league airplay.

      What I want to know is, is anyone else awaiting an Alice
      Cooper Revival? I think his music is very underrated.
      Listen to the Killer album. It sounds like it was recorded
      yesterday. I consider him to be a rock heavyweight. ( Can
      anyone confirm my belief that the Velvet Underground was
      his band in his film WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE?)

      Any reviews about the latest Sisters of Mercy album? I've
      heard nothing but good songs on the radio but I haven't
      heard the whole thing.

      I bought a Chris D. album called Time Stands Still. What a
      disc!  This guy is the lead singer of the Flesheaters.
      Definite style of his own. I think the lyrics are the
      strongpoint.  A lot of old west type settings with unusual
      tales behind them.  My favorite song is Sanctuary.  It's
      about a nun who leaves the fold to "answer the call of the
      dime-a-dance dance hall".

      Castles Made of Sand by Jimi has been gracing my speakers
      for over two weeks straight now. Smooooooth.

      Ciao for now.

sethian@acf4.UUCP (sethian) (05/13/85)

Let's face it. "dead babies can't take thins off the shelf, dead babies can't
take care of themselves" is poetry. If isn't, what could be?
				  J. Sethian

jbuck@epicen.UUCP (Joe Buck) (05/16/85)

> From: michaelf@ISM780.UUCP
> Date: 10 May 85 13:48:00 GMT

>       What I want to know is, is anyone else awaiting an Alice
>       Cooper Revival? I think his music is very underrated.
>       Listen to the Killer album. It sounds like it was recorded
>       yesterday. I consider him to be a rock heavyweight. ( Can
>       anyone confirm my belief that the Velvet Underground was
>       his band in his film WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE?)

You've got to be kidding. Alice Cooper, while he had talent,
was at best a cheap imitation of the real thing (Velvet Underground).
In fact, I saw a liner note (on a V.U. album released after the band
broke up, I forget which one) in which David Bowie accused Alice
Cooper of stealing everything from V.U. Since this went on a liner
note to a Velvet album, I doubt that the band was close to Cooper.
Of course, Bowie stole a lot from them as well. Other blatent imitators:
Iggy Pop and Dream Syndicate.

Listen to any of the later Velvet albums (especially "Loaded"). It
also sounds very fresh, and has some amazing vocal performances by
Lou Reed.

Forget the imitation. Get the real thing. MGM/Verve has recently re-released
several Velvet albums, as well as a collection of previously unreleased
material that was apparently meant for their never-released fourth album
(called "VU"). Buy them all. My only beef is that the liner notes to "VU"
try to give you the impression that "Loaded" is worthless (recorded by
A Different Record Company).
--
Joe Buck		Entropic Processing, Inc. (epi)
	  {allegra,decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax,gatech,ihnp4}!twg!t12tst!epicen!jbuck

cv@linus.UUCP (Chris J. Valas) (05/17/85)

-=-

In article <127@epicen.UUCP> jbuck@epicen.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:

[Regarding the Velvet Underground:]
>Of course, Bowie stole a lot from them as well. Other blatent imitators:
>Iggy Pop and Dream Syndicate.

etc.

>Forget the imitation. Get the real thing.
>--
>Joe Buck		Entropic Processing, Inc. (epi)
>	  {allegra,decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax,gatech,ihnp4}!twg!t12tst!epicen!jbuck

It seems to me that while most *everyone* in post-60's rock owes the Velvets
a considerable debt,  Iggy (especially with the Stooges) is most definitely
'the real thing.'  We are talking about the original Motor City Madman here.
and _Raw Power_.  Sure, Iggy experimented with what the Velvets were doing,
but "blatant" imitation is an inaccurate decription of what was really
cross-fertilization, a phenomenon essential to a thriving rock underground.
The Velvet's contribution to that underground should not be allowed to sit
idle.

Dream Syndicate, I'll grant you, are derivative of the Velvets; still, theirs
is one of the fresher sounds I've heard in a while.  I'm just glad to see
American rock getting back on track again after the relative dark ages of
the mid-to-late 70's.  Stadiums are for football.  Even Dylan's got his
head together again (sort of).

Chris J. Valas         {decvax,utzoo,philabs,security,allegra,genrad}!linus!cv
-=-
"I've made shoes for everyone, even you,
 but I still go barefoot."

reeves@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/23/85)

In article <127@epicen.UUCP> jbuck@epicen.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
>> From: michaelf@ISM780.UUCP
>> Date: 10 May 85 13:48:00 GMT
>>
>>       anyone confirm my belief that the Velvet Underground was
>>       his band in his film WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE?)
>
>note to a Velvet album, I doubt that the band was close to Cooper.
>Of course, Bowie stole a lot from them as well. Other blatent imitators:
>Iggy Pop and Dream Syndicate.

I think what Michael is refering to is that the guitar players from
Reed's _Rock and Roll Animal_ LP later played w/ Alice (an I've forgoten
their names).

I also think that your selling Alice, Ig and the Dream Syndicate short
if you're gonna lump'em as VU derivatives.  Alice (along w/ the NY Dolls)
defined Glam/Trash Rock, up until about _Billion Dollar Babies_, and
_Fun House_ (Stooges) shutdown the VU for full sonic reduction.

For Dream Syndicate fans, Karl Percoda has left the group, replaced
by Paul Cutler (x-45 Grave, Vox Pop, BPeople).  I saw 'em tonight,
and the sound is a lot fuller and rhythmic.  Expect a new album in
September.

  John Reeves
  Computer Science Department  UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!reeves
  A.I. Lab, 3531 Boelter Hall  ARPA: reeves @ ucla-locus
				(soon) reeves@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU