[net.unix] UNIX/WORLD info

todd@islenet.UUCP (05/15/84)

My "thanks vortex!lauren" note concerning hackers generated an interesting
amount of mail.  Surprisingly, most of it had to do with getting subscription
information about UNIX/WORLD (UNIX is a trademark of Bell Labs..Are you
lawyers happy now?).  Seems that quite a number of you haven't seen it
yet.  So, here is the subscription info you have requested and an overview
of the second issue (March/April 1984).   Hey Lauren, do I get a finders
fee for generating all this interest in UNIX/WORLD?? :-)

You can request subscription info from:
	Circulation Manager
	UNIX/WORLD
	289 S. San Antonio Rd.
	Los Altos, CA 94022

You can call in for a subscription at
	415-949-3737

9 issues/year
	1yr	$18
	2yr	$32
	3yr	$42

The over-the-counter price is $3.  The latest issue is Vol. 1, No. 2.

Here is a list of titles/authors from the latest issue:

A. Winston & V. Schnatmeier
	The 1984 Office Automation Conference: Unix Peeks Out of the Office

A.C. Hixson
	Buying Accounting Software

Stephen Auditore
	Software Security and the Pin-Striped Pirate

R. Marsh & J. Groff
	A State-of-the-Market Assessment

G. Dronek
	IBM PC/IX Reviewed

R. Tuthill
	Intermediate Termcap

Dr. R. Thomas
	C Tutorial: Getting Started

In addition there are a number of regular columns that might interest you.
	News from Berkeley --by Alan Tobey
	News from AT&T     --no author name given
	Wizard's Grabbag   --"  "      "    "

Around here I regularly see UNIX/WORLD in some computer stores, bookstores,
and the U. of Hawaii Bookstore.
{ standard disclaimer:  Neither I nor my employer have any business or
  other ties to the product mentioned above }

Todd Ogasawara -- University of Hawaii -- Dept. of Psychology
          { dual,vortex,uhpgvax }!islenet!todd

sdo@u1100a.UUCP (Scott Orshan) (05/17/84)

Regarding the subscription prices quoted:

If you read the coupon carefully you'll notice the following:

One Year (9 issues) - $18
Two years (23 issues) - $32
Three years (35 issues) - $42

Now, this seemed rather irregular to me, so I called the number.
The woman who answered found this hard to explain too, being
her first day on the job, but she did say that they were
increasing the number of issues next year.

It sounds like a good deal.  I like the magazine.  If anyone
can explain the differences in the issues per year, please
tell us.

	Scott Orshan
	Bell Communications Research
	{ihnp4,abnjh,allegra,pyuxww}!u1100a!sdo

dave@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Sherman) (05/18/84)

The difference in number of issues per year is easy to
explain, Scott. They are going monthly in September.

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--

 dave at Toronto (CSnet)
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave

todd@islenet.UUCP (Todd Ogasawara) (05/19/84)

I've been informed that my 'UNIX/WORLD info' msg has caused some confusion
to those on ARPA.  Looks like my original msg posted to 'net.general'
never made it over the USENET/ARPA divider.  Following this is the
original posting to 'net.general': a thank you note to Lauren Weinstein.
I suspect the reason is that my first msg went out only to 'net.general' (which
may not cross over to ARPA) while my second msg (the confusing one) went out
to both 'net.general' and 'net.unix' (which DOES get over to ARPA).

It seems that the real problem is my comment about a "finder's fee."
IT'S A JOKE...please note the 'happy face' { :-) } next to that comment.
I truly regret any confusion I may have caused by making the comment.
I promise to reread my 'net.etiquette'....todd

Todd Ogasawara -- University of Hawaii -- Dept. of Psychology
        { dual,vortex,ihnp4,uhpgvax }!islenet!todd

----------original posting to net.general follows------------
From todd Wed May  9 19:32:40 1984
From: todd@islenet.UUCP (Todd Ogasawara)
Newsgroups: net.general
Subject: thanks vortex!lauren
Date: Wed, 9-May-84 19:32:40 HST

I urge everyone to read Lauren Weinstein's editorial on page 7 of Unix/World
Vol. 1, No. 2. "A Personal note on 'hackers'".  I'm grateful to Lauren for
his attempt to clear up the mess the press has caused by equating "hacking"
with "electronic vandalism."  Those of us who haven't quite earned our wizards
cap are especially grateful.  It was tough to put away my "hacking badge"
when the word fell into disrespect.

Lauren, thanks for helping clear things up.  I urge you to send the editorial
to TIME, Newsweek and others who twisted the meaning of "hacker."  It might
get the word "hacker" back to mean what it once did!...todd

p.s. Unix/World is a darn good magazine.  I have gotten much more out of it
     than its competitor U/R.