[net.music] We Are The World

chris@scgvaxd.UUCP (Chris Yoder) (05/23/85)

In article <2863@sdcc3.UUCP> ee171ael@sdcc3.UUCP (GEOFFREY KIM) writes:
>I haven't listened to music for a while, and when I finally
>turned on the radio, I heard the most awful song in the whole
>universe.  It went something like this.
>"We are the world, we are the children.
> We are the ones who make better hay for
> those unfortunates" (or something like that).
>
>And to top it all off, there were a variety of singers
>contributing to a sense of mismatch and incoherency to
>the song.   I like the fact that it is making money for
>starving people in ethiopia, but did they have to make the
>song so cornballish.  I mean, come on.

I do agree that the song is a piece of musical trash, it's excruciatingly
repetitive, extreemely boring musically, and very much overplayed, however I
have to agree with the cause that this song was produced for.  Okay, so it's
"in" to help feed the hungry now, and "We are the World" reeks of a publicity
stunt, but at least it's a start.  From the practiacl standpoint it's
raising one h*ll of a lot of money, and it's at least putting the issue of
the rest of the world before the American public, even if in such a manner
that they don't have to think about it.

Personally I wish that they would have had a "better" song, one with more of
a message, one that could be overplayed as badly and still not cause me to
instantly change the station w/i the first few cords, but it seems as though
the one that they did produce has raised some money for and (hopefully) the
awareness of the American public about hunger and poverty in the rest of the
world.  It's a start, a week, feeble start, but a start none the less.  As
has been said by a wiser man than myself, "The journey of a thousand miles
begins with a single step."

--
				-- Chris Yoder

UUCP --- scgvaxd!engvax!chris

<Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get
you...>

{  The opinions here are representative of Huge Aircrash, not me and
   *especially* not of my poor little keyboard.    8-)=
}