gwyn@BRL-VLD.ARPA (07/02/84)

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@BRL-VLD.ARPA>

AT&T offers a BASIC that is compatible with the BASIC on IBM PCs;
also, UNIX System V includes a "bs" program that is a BASIC dialect.

dan@rna.UUCP (07/13/84)

Sorry Doug,
	The System V interpretive language "BS" is not a dialect of BASIC,
unless you consider BASIC to be a dialect of FORTRAN.
	Systen V was initially to include a minimal implementation of BASIC.
They will eventually release one.
	University of British Columbia (Bill Webb) has a BASIC written in C.
	For PDP-11's, there's always the DEC versions - RT11 BASIC and BASIC+,
both have been moved to UNIX on the PDP-11.

					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					...cmcl2!rna!dan

The first sentence in the manual page description for bs(1) is:

Bs is a remote descendant of Basic and Snobol4 with a little C language
thrown in.

I leave it to the potential user whether this is sufficient for his
"basic needs" or not.  A true BASIC is available from AT&T as
advertised in UNIX System Software Bulletin # 1484B-P WS January, 1984.

j@utah-cs.UUCP (J Lepreau) (07/16/84)

Well, if you don't want to pay $$$ to AT&T, you can get one for free
from the U of NM, in the Unix tradition:

    From harpo!seismo!hao!kpno!downey Mon May 23 10:09:23 1983
    Subject: 4.1bsd basic
    Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards

    We have been running a very nice Basic from U of NM, Albuquerque, for a few
    months. It is all in C and looks well written. It is very much like IBM's
    VM Basic, except for no 'print using'. It was free for a tape.

    FLAME ON
    I have sent mail to people as they ask for Basic on this newsgroup
    but never received an acknowledgement or any sign that the mail got
    through. Thus, I am posting this for general readership. I got this
    from the net in the first place so apparently people are as tired of
    hearing requests as much as I and not bothering to respond. Now please,
    look through old news or something, but NO MORE BASIC REQUESTS, PLEASE.
    FLAME OFF

    Contact
		    Bob Tomlinson
		    University of New Mexico
		    Computer Center
		    2701 Campus Blvd.
		    Albuquerque, NM  87106
		    (505) 277-6131
		    (not on net as far as I know).

    Elwood Downey, Kitt Peak National Observatory, 950 N. Cherry Ave, Tucson, AZ
		   (602) 325-9221
		   {{{ucbvax|utah-cs|purdue|mcnc}!arizona}|unc|hao}!kpno!downey

rs@hou3c.UUCP (rs) (07/18/84)

How about the converse?  Does anyone have a C interpreter/compiler written
in any form of BASIC?

Bob Switzer
AT&T Bell Labs
...!houxf!hou3c!rs

tomlin@dspo.UUCP (07/24/84)

Just a note on how to get the Basic interpreter from University of
New Mexico.  Don't mail to Bob Tomlinson (I don't work there anymore).
Mail to:
    {ucbvax!lbl-csam,purdue,cmcl2}!lanl-a!unm-cvax!{eric,cliff,mckeon,??}
but don't mail to me.
					Thanks,
						bob
--
Bob Tomlinson - ucbvax!lbl-csam!lanl-a!dspo!tomlin or dspo!tomlin@LANL
Los Alamos National Laboratory - Data Systems Project Office (DSPO)

kolstad@convex.UUCP (07/27/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-149000:convex:49600002:000:465
convex!kolstad    Jul 27 14:06:00 1984

I am still distributing a year-old copy of UNM BASIC and one from
University of British Columbia.  If you would like a tape, do the following:
mail a tape and a copy of the front & back
sheet of your AT&T UNIX license along with a letter that says "please send me
BASIC" to :

Rob Kolstad
CONVEX
1819 Firman #151
Richardson, TX  75081

Your basic tape will come back in the mail!

								Rk

ps:  One or both need to have the "jobs" stuff converted for 4.2 sites.