[net.unix] Need help with [nt]roff problem

whh%jhu.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA (09/20/84)

From:      "W.H. Huggins" <whh%jhu.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>

You need to consider the use of that remarkable  TBL  preprocessor
which can be used to format text as well as tables.  It has provisions
for carrying over material across page breaks, etc.  The attached
memo may be of interest.

txtbls ====

Use of TBL to Format Multi-Column Text   by  W.H. Huggins
     It is possible to use the  tbl  preprocessor to format text into
two, three, or more columns, side-by-side, as needed to compare two
versions of text, or to print text more compactly.

     The  MS macros provide a  .2C  command which switches the out-
put  text  to a two-column format at the point where the command is
given, but this format persists for the rest of the page and  there
is no way using  .2C  to return to a  one-column  format before the
end of the page has been reached.  The   .1C   command  immediately
brings  a  new page, leaving a possibly unsightly uncompleted blank
region on the previous page following  the  point  where  the   .1C
command  was  invoked.   Furthermore,  the text in the first column
must extend to the  footer  before  the  second  column  is  begun,
whereas  what is desired may be a short block of text in two column
format inserted in the middle of the page.

This difficulty  can    This will permit the    by   specifying    a
be    resolved    by    insertion of several    table   format  with
invoking the ability    blocks,     side-by-    three columns, using
of the TBL prepoces-    side,  as  has  been    the  standard format
sor to format  ordi-    done here               specifications,
nary    text    into
blocks.                 or possibly to have the text of one  block
                        span the widths of two prior blocks, etc.,

all in accord with the formatting specifications used  in  creating
tables as described in the  report _T_B_L - _A _P_r_o_g_r_a_m _t_o _F_o_r_m_a_t _T_a_b_l_e_s
by M.E. Lesk.  (See the  V7 UNIX documentation available in the  EE
Dept office.)

     The source text for TBL used to produce the above  multicolumn
listing  is  shown  on  the  next  page.  Notice that the  "expand"
option will expand the intercolumn space to correspond to the  line
length  --  but  this  includes  the  space at the end of the third
column!  Hence, the line length is expanded temporarily so that the
actual  text  is  even  with  the  right  margin of the text.  (The
default column separation is 3 ens).  This space at the end of  the
text  of the third column would have been needed had the table been
boxed.

	.ll +3n
	.TS
	expand;
	l l l
	l l s .
	T{
	.ll 2i
	This difficulty can be resolved by invoking the
	ability of the TBL prepocessor to format ordinary
	text into blocks.
	T}   T{
	.ll 2i
	This will permit the insertion of
	several blocks, side-by-side,
	as has been done here
	T}   T{
	.ll 2i
	by specifying
	a table format with
	three columns, using the
	standard format specifications,
	T}
	     T{
	.ll 4.25i
	or possibly to have the text
	of one block span the widths of two prior blocks,
	etc.,
	T}
	.ad
	.TE
	.ll -3n

naftoli@aecom.UUCP (Robert N. Berlinger) (09/26/84)

> Use of TBL to Format Multi-Column Text   by  W.H. Huggins
>      It is possible to use the  tbl  preprocessor to format text into
> two, three, or more columns, side-by-side, as needed to compare two
> versions of text, or to print text more compactly.

well this will work nicely, however, you need to know the length
of your columns.  MM also has a .2C macro, but it would be nice
if it had support for n column output, as well as a way to force
up to the next column (without doing a .sp and manually bringing
you to the next column, ughh!).
--
Robert Berlinger
...{philabs,cucard,pegasus,ihnp4,rocky2}!aecom!naftoli

lmm@teddy.UUCP (Linda M. McInnis) (09/28/84)

line eater

We did it at one point using nroff then piping it through col.

Linda McInnis <genrad!teddy!lmm>