[net.unix] Data General TCP/IP Announcement

dca-pgs@DDN1.ARPA (09/27/84)

From:  dca-pgs <dca-pgs@DDN1.ARPA>

Data Communications Magazine, Aug 1984, p.239

"Data General brings Unix, TCP/IP to its
 Eclipse and DS minicomputers."

Data General Corp. announced DG/UX, a native Unix
implementation of Berkeley 4.1 software distribution
for its Eclipse superminicomputers and Distributed System
(DS)) workstations...

Programs written ##################

In a related announcement, DG released a version of
TCP/IP... The company's AOS/VS operating system will
support TCP/IP,and hardware will be introduced to support
the protocol on Eclipse...

(price quotes follow)

I have some questions about this TCP/IP venture.

1. What networking applications run on top of the TCP/IP?
Are they the typical Arpa suite (FTP, Telnet, SMTP) or
something else?

2. Is there a packet-level driver associated with this package
(1822 or X.25) or is it confined to LAN's?

3. What are the antecedents of the AOS TCP/IP?
Could it have been a porting of 4.1?

There's a lot of interest on this end; the AUTOVON/ETS/DSN
environment has a lot of DG's.

Best,
-Pat Sullivan
 DCEC/DSN

ron@BRL-TGR.ARPA (09/27/84)

From:      Ron Natalie <ron@BRL-TGR.ARPA>

I sat through a sales presentation for DG TCP/IP.  Under their
4 BSD product, they claim they are supporting all that Berkeley
did.  This includes FTP, TELNET, MAIL, and things like rcp, rsh.
I stressed that that is the only way the customers I was representing
would buy it.

The only interface that they are currently supporting is Ethernet.
I again stressed that they must support ARP.  I also encouraged
them and explained that it would not be that difficult to provide
1822 (Distant Host) and HDH interfaces.  As usual, the sales people
claimed to be considering it.

This is all I know.

-Ron

zadco@ssc-vax.UUCP (Rick Fairfield) (10/03/84)

> From:  dca-pgs <dca-pgs@DDN1.ARPA>
>
> Data Communications Magazine, Aug 1984, p.239
>
> "Data General brings Unix, TCP/IP to its
>  Eclipse and DS minicomputers."
>
> Data General Corp. announced DG/UX, a native Unix
> implementation of Berkeley 4.1 software distribution
> for its Eclipse superminicomputers and Distributed System
> (DS)) workstations...
>
> Programs written ##################
>
> In a related announcement, DG released a version of
> TCP/IP... The company's AOS/VS operating system will
> support TCP/IP,and hardware will be introduced to support
> the protocol on Eclipse...
>
> (price quotes follow)

The local (Seattle) DG rep tells me that IC/TCP will NOT be available
for AOS/VS in the near future. In fact, it is currently available for
native UNIX only, not for the 'hosted' UNIX that runs as a process under
AOS/VS.

Furthermore, the DG rep says there are NO plans to support IC/TCP under
AOS (the operating system for 16 bit Eclipses).

							zadco