[net.unix] Shell Shock or Why Shell

In article <4514@rochester.UUCP> quiroz@rochester.UUCP (Cesar Quiroz) writes:

>	Now, how the metaphor of a shell *around* a kernel appeared
>	(I guess most people think of the command interpreter as built
>	*on top*, not *around* the kernel) will certainly be a nice
>	story to know, so let's encourage the First Born of UnixLand
>	to speak and enlighten the Net People.
>
>Cesar

	I believe the terminology comes from the Multics system,
the spiritual predecessor of Unix.  This system pioneered the concept
of software "rings" or layers.  That is the system was implemented as
as series of progressively more abstract, more or less independent layers.
The command language interpreter is one of the *outer* layers, and based
on the term "ring" may be percieved as surrounding the rest of the system.
like a shell.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|burdvax|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen

dan@ciprico.UUCP (12/18/84)

I've heard that the terminology "shell" is a result of some of the very
early UNIX research being funded by Shell the oil company.  Has anyone else
heard this?  Can someone verify that Shell did indeed fund some Bell Labs
work?	-Dan A. Dickey

> I've heard that the terminology "shell" is a result of some of the very
> early UNIX research being funded by Shell the oil company.

Someone's been pulling your leg.

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (12/29/84)

> I've heard that the terminology "shell" is a result of some of the very
> early UNIX research being funded by Shell the oil company.  Has anyone else
> heard this?  Can someone verify that Shell did indeed fund some Bell Labs
> work?	-Dan A. Dickey

You gotta be kidding!  Fortunately, the name "shell" has a much
more rational and reasonable meaning.  It refers to the layering,
if you will, of the command interpreter around the kernel.  Hence,
the command interpreter (user interface) is the "shell" that is
seen by the outside world.

--
Ed Gould
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed

heller@shell.UUCP (Don Heller) (12/30/84)

> I've heard that the terminology "shell" is a result of some of the very
> early UNIX research being funded by Shell the oil company.  Has anyone else
> heard this?  Can someone verify that Shell did indeed fund some Bell Labs
> work?	-Dan A. Dickey

We like a good chuckle here at Shell.  Oh, if it were only true...

----
Don Heller
Physics and Computer Science Dept.
Shell Development Company