[net.unix] Netd

mark@tove.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (02/08/85)

In article <4624@ucbvax.ARPA> medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) writes:
>Uh, I think you guys should realize that we at berkeley have an inet
>daemon as well, quite similar to this stuff, but ours will be distributed
>in the upcoming new 4.2 release.  So, if you intend to upgrade
>to the new BSD, I'd suggest waiting for ours...
>

>					Milo

How about leaking some ordering information ahead of time so those of us
with incredibily long lead times to P.O. or license signature can
try to get the ball rolling?
New license needed?
Cost?

--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark

medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) (02/10/85)

> How about leaking some ordering information ahead of time so those of us
> with incredibily long lead times to P.O. or license signature can
> try to get the ball rolling?
> New license needed?
> Cost?
>
> --
> Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
> CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark
> USPS: Computer Science Dept., University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742

Well, what can I say?  I mentioned that to prevent some waste
of people's time.  I know certain things about the release, but
I am not part of the group that is involved with the distribution.
I am sure when the time comes people will know about it.  If
you saw the paper in last summer's usenix conference about
performance increases, thats all in there, plus a bit more.
It's well worth upgrading to in my opinion.  But as I am not
part of the distribution group, it would be inappropriate to
comment on P.O.'s or new licensing requirements.

				Milo