[net.unix] Basic on UNIX - ...

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (02/14/85)

stewart@houxf.UUCP (Bill Stewart HO 4K-435 x0705) writes:
> While I normally disparage BASIC along with the rest of you, there are
> a few places it's useful.  I tend to use it for jobs that take too much
> arithmetic for shell, but are too small to bother writing in C
> 	FOR I = 1 TO 43
> 		PRINT "FOO";I
> 		NEXT I

My preference would be:
	awk </dev/null 'BEGIN {
		for (i=1; i<=43; ++i) print "foo" i }'

Yes, the </dev/null and BEGIN are a bit icky, but you can type the
whole thing on the command line, and you have C-ish syntax, and
printf if you want it.

Mark Brader

mwm@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (02/15/85)

In article <401@lsuc.UUCP> msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) writes:
>stewart@houxf.UUCP (Bill Stewart HO 4K-435 x0705) writes:
>> While I normally disparage BASIC along with the rest of you, there are
>> a few places it's useful.  I tend to use it for jobs that take too much
>> arithmetic for shell, but are too small to bother writing in C
>> 	FOR I = 1 TO 43
>> 		PRINT "FOO";I
>> 		NEXT I
>
>My preference would be:
>	awk </dev/null 'BEGIN {
>		for (i=1; i<=43; ++i) print "foo" i }'
>Mark Brader

Yikes! What's wrong with a nice, simple:

% bc
for (i = 0; i <= 43; i++) { "foo"; i}

Of course, for something complicated, I'll fire up a lisp, but that's anther
language.

	<mike