[net.unix] Terminology question: What do we call a process before/after an exec

avi@pegasus.UUCP (Avi E. Gross) (01/30/85)

When a process does a fork()/exec() (or system()), I am used to using words
like "parent" and "child" to refer to the process depending on what PID was
returned from the fork(). Similarly, I have used "grandparent" and
"grandchild" -- and even "sibling" to refer to other relationships. Some of
the processes I generate easily go 7 generations and more.

I am not aware of any terminology (of an anthromorphic nature) to describe
the state of a process immediately before an exec() or after. It is not
really a parent-child relationship -- it is more like a sex-change operation
or reincarnation. In reality, the born-again process shares many
characteristics of its cognate -- such as open file descriptors and process
table space, but may have a different name and program text.

Can anyone suggest a reasonable (and hopefully humurous :-) set of names that
can be used to talk about these processes? What does one call the result of
several exec's in a row? Does it matter which flavor of exec (execl, execv,
execle, execve, execlp, execvp) was used? Can such a process find out whether
it was the result of an exec from another process, or whether it was the
exec of the original shell (hopefully ksh)?

All kidding aside, I am curious whether other people have felt the need for
a way to refer to several versions of the same process. I have recently been
creating such processes and using terms like "overlayed process" doesn't
excite me.
--
-=> Avi E. Gross @ AT&T Information Systems Laboratories (201) 576-6241
 suggested paths: [ihnp4, allegra, cbosg, hogpc, ...]!pegasus!avi

mark@tove.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (02/02/85)

In article <2068@pegasus.UUCP> avi@pegasus.UUCP (Avi E. Gross) writes:
>I am not aware of any terminology (of an anthromorphic nature) to describe
>the state of a process immediately before an exec() or after.
>Can anyone suggest a reasonable (and hopefully humurous :-) set of names that
>can be used to talk about these processes? What does one call the result of
>several exec's in a row? Does it matter which flavor of exec (execl, execv,
>execle, execve, execlp, execvp) was used? Can such a process find out whether
>it was the result of an exec from another process, or whether it was the
>exec of the original shell (hopefully ksh)?

After fork but before exec, a process is a blastomere.  This is a biological
term that refers to the individual child cells of the dividing fertilized
egg, before the cells have begun any differentiation or specialization,
and especially before they have done any growth before division.  This
is a lot like pre-execed forked processes.  After execing
there is not an exactly analogous biological term, so `embryo'
might work ok.

Alternatively, before execing processes are clones, and one can
speak of the parent clone and child clone and even grandparent clone.
After execing processes are independent people.  Only then do the
terms sibling and unqualified-parent come into play.

For example: "sendmail uses mostly clones, not often people.  A grandfather
process acts as a demon, spawning grandchildren and killing off
their parents so the grandchildren will be taken care of by the orphanage
(process 1).  The clones become people only when another mailer is
called, in which case the grandfather spawns a child directly and
does not kill the parent (itself) but instead watches to see how
things go."

Or: "The sendmail blastomeres are taking over the machine.  Good
thing they are not people or we could never tell who made them."
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (02/12/85)

> I am not aware of any terminology (of an anthromorphic nature) to describe
> the state of a process immediately before an exec() or after. It is not
> really a parent-child relationship -- it is more like a sex-change operation
> or reincarnation...

Not particularly anthropomorphic, but how about "transmogrificand" before
the exec() and "transmogrifee" after?
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Cerebus for dictator!

topher@cyb-eng.UUCP (Topher Eliot) (02/19/85)

>> I am not aware of any terminology (of an anthromorphic nature) to describe
>> the state of a process immediately before an exec() or after. It is not
>> really a parent-child relationship -- it is more like a sex-change operation
>> or reincarnation...
>
>Not particularly anthropomorphic, but how about "transmogrificand" before
>the exec() and "transmogrifee" after?

Not particularly pronounceable, either :-)

Cheers,
Topher Eliot
Cyb Systems, Austin, TX
{gatech,ihnp4,nbires,seismo,ucb-vax}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!topher