[net.unix] System V documentation

glenm@mako.UUCP (Glen McCluskey) (02/22/85)

In the AT&T Commercial Sales Documentation Catalog, a number
of publications are listed pertaining to System V.  It is not
clear what each of these pertain to based on the title.  Can
anyone help with this?

	User Reference Manual		307-109

	Programmer Reference Manual	307-113

	Programming Guide		307-103

	User Guide			307-100

	Shell Commands & Programming	307-123

Which if any of these correspond to the UNIX Programmer's
Manual, volumes 1 and 2?

				Glen McCluskey
				..tektronix!mako!glenm

cmf@cwruecmp.UUCP (Carl Fongheiser) (02/25/85)

In article <600@mako.UUCP> glenm@mako.UUCP (Glen McCluskey) writes:
>In the AT&T Commercial Sales Documentation Catalog, a number
>of publications are listed pertaining to System V.  It is not
>clear what each of these pertain to based on the title.  Can
>anyone help with this?
>
>	User Reference Manual		307-109
>
>	Programmer Reference Manual	307-113
>
>	Programming Guide		307-103
>
>	User Guide			307-100
>
>	Shell Commands & Programming	307-123
>
>Which if any of these correspond to the UNIX Programmer's
>Manual, volumes 1 and 2?
>

>				Glen McCluskey
>				..tektronix!mako!glenm

As it happens, you need ALL of these manuals to be equivalent to the V7
UNIX Programmer's Manual.  You still don't get everything, since documentation
on terminal ioctl's can only be found in the System Management Utilities Guide
(name may not be quite right, but it should be pretty close).

				Carl Fongheiser
				...!decvax!cwruecmp!cmf (UUCP)
				cmf@case		(CSnet)
				cmf%case@CSnet-relay.ARPA (Internet)

jss@sftri.UUCP (J.S.Schwarz) (02/26/85)

I had the following on my shelf.

> 	User Reference Manual		307-109
		Section 1 (commands) and 6 (games)

> 	Programmer Reference Manual	307-113
		Section 2 (system calls), 3 (library), 4 (file formats)
		and 5 (miscellany).  Section 3 is subdived these days

> 	Programming Guide		307-103
		Papers on C, C Libraries, Lint, Sdb, Fortran
		Ratfor, EFL, Curses and Terminfo

> 	User Guide			307-100
		I don't have this one.

> 	Shell Commands & Programming	307-123
		I don't have this one

Also available (although not mentioned in the original question are)

>	Administrator Reference Manual	307-111
		Section 1M (commands that mostly reside in /etc)
		and Section 7 (special files, including termio stuff)
		and Section 8 (system maintenance procedures)

>	Support Tools			307-108
		Papers on make, sccs, m4, awk, ld, coff (common object
		file format), bc, lex, yacc, rje, uucp.

>	Editing Guide			307-126
		Papers on  ed, vi, sed, bfs

Mostly the "papers" are recycled Bell Labs memos rather than new
documentation.

	Jerry Schwarz
	ihnp4!attunix!jss
	Bell Labs
	Summit, N.J

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (02/26/85)

> As it happens, you need ALL of these manuals to be equivalent to the V7
> UNIX Programmer's Manual.

And probably still more stuff; our S5R2 documentation isn't quite the size
of our VMS documentation, but it's getting there (note: no value judgement
is being made).

> You still don't get everything, since documentation on terminal ioctl's
> can only be found in the System Management Utilities Guide (name may not
> be quite right, but it should be pretty close).

Actually, it's the Administrator's Reference Manual, but no matter how
thinly it's sliced it's still bologna.  *It doesn't belong there, it belongs
in the Programmer's Reference Manual*, which is where we're putting it
(are you listening, AT&T?).  The only part useful to admins is the disk
partitioning.  The rest is of infinitely more use to programmers than to
admins.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy