[net.unix] A new newsgroup net.rtingres

manatt@lll-crg.ARPA (Doug Manatt) (02/26/85)

[..one for the bug..]

I would like to propose the formation of a new newsgroup net.rtingres to
be used for the discussion of experiences and problems with the ingres database
system sold by Relational Technology Inc.  I will look for comments in
net.news.group.  If the response is favorable perhaps someone out there more
powerful than I could create it for us.
				Douglas Manatt
				Lawrence Livermore Lab
				(415) 422-7257

rlee@sri-spam (Ron Lee) (02/27/85)

Another vote for a new newsgroup net.rtingres .

rlee@sri-spam.ARPA

jsc@ucbvax.ARPA (James Carrington) (02/27/85)

> I would like to propose the formation of a new newsgroup net.rtingres to
> be used for the discussion of experiences and problems with the ingres database
> system sold by Relational Technology Inc.

I think perhaps a mailing list would work better for this sort of thing.
not *that* many people are likely to be using rtingres, so I doubt a whole
newsgroup is justified. But a mailing list might make a good deal of sense.
--
					James Steven Carrington
					The INGRES Project

lapoint@BRL-AOS.ARPA (Claude Lapointe) (02/27/85)

I like the idea.

anton@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Anton) (02/28/85)

It's true that the net has had very little traffic conserning ingres
problems.  Most of the traffic relates to people finding or thinking
they have found bugs.  I think it would not be wise to limit the discussion
to RTI Ingres.  There are many sites with the university version who
could add to the group.  I don't think there is enough traffic to warrent
a group, but is there enough disintrest to warrent a mailing list?

If someone want to discuss the matter, why not use this group?
Of course, if you are running the VMS version, use should not
be interested in net.unix.  We all know the anything other then
UNIX is repulsive to the nature of computing. (-:

--
C knows no bounds.
					Jeff Anton

yee@ucbvax.ARPA (Peter E. Yee) (03/04/85)

	Net.rtingres is probably a little to limited in it applicability.
More useful would be net.dbm, or something like that.  Then users of
Mistress (tm), Unify (tm), and a several other database programs would be
able to discuss topics of common or perhaps program-specific interest.

						-Peter Yee
						..ucbvax!yee
						yee@Berkeley.ARPA