[net.unix] How to kill proportional Spacing on the &%$# Typesetter?

sigma@usl.UUCP (Spyridon Triantafyllopoulos) (03/15/85)

Me again!
Our IMAGEN Laser printers (itroff!) do pretty well on proportional
spacing, but can't pull it if I ask for straight (i.e., NON-proportional)
form. I can use "ipr" that lpr's on the laser printer, but can't control
fonts or anything else (nroff style). Am I missing something, a
control argument or a .whatever? Text comes out OK, but ask for a diagram
or a table and it proportions and looks like &%&%%&%$%#%. What I am
doing wrong?
Your response will be highly appreciated

-- Spiros                                      President,
-- USL Computer Science Dept.     The "Eliminate Managers from Science"
-- {ut-sally,akgub}!usl!sigma                Committee (:-)

PS: to all the folks who argued in straight lasering versus typesetting,
    you were right and me wrong. The typesetter is MUCH more convenient.

Surprise!  Standard troff doesn't have any fixed width fonts.  I don't
know what (if any) fonts supplied with itroff are fixed width.

One horrible kludge is to use the \z and \h commands to force fixed width
characters.  However, it looks awful.  If you must use it, try (e.g.)

   \z'A'\h'15u'\z'B'\h'15u'

(Better check the format of these things in the troff manual.  I haven't
used troff since we got TeX---which, by the way, has fixed width fonts.)
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

jaap@mcvax.UUCP (Jaap Akkerhuis) (03/18/85)

In article <4109@umcp-cs.UUCP> chris@umcp-cs.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
 > Surprise!  Standard troff doesn't have any fixed width fonts.  I don't
 > know what (if any) fonts supplied with itroff are fixed width.
 >
 > One horrible kludge is to use the \z and \h commands to force fixed width
 > characters.  However, it looks awful.  If you must use it, try (e.g.)
 >
 >    \z'A'\h'15u'\z'B'\h'15u'

A better way to do this is to use the .cs request. But it will still look
horrible.